Maybe!
I’ve also noticed a steady efficiency increase. I have stats on my morning commute. On the exact same drive of 20.8 miles over the last month:
Configuration: GDE, 7-seat, 20/21 wheels, smooth, DDP on highway, odometer at 1812 miles, trip meter stats.
- Mon Jan 05: 3.39 mi/kWh
- Mon Jan 12: 3.38 mi/kWh, 41F
- Tue Jan 20: 3.59 mi/kWh, 49F
- Tue Jan 27: 3.53 mi/kWh, 44F
- Fri Jan 30: 3.88 mi/kWh, 49F (no idea why this is so good)
Note: this is the better leg of my commute with consistent traffic conditions.. The return leg is worse but traffic conditions vary quite a bit. Avg round trip is around ~3 mi/kWh.
Two other factors that I can think of for the improved efficiency (in addition to mechanical systems breaking in).
- Charge loss (battery degradation) through formation/growth of SEI. This is why Lucid is saying you’ll get better range after 2k miles, although 2k isn’t a magic number. This charge loss is rapid for a new battery then slows down over time.
- Temperatures have been gradually increasing. Nights are not as cold, so battery starts out warmer (although I park in my garage).
I have a month’s worth of data that I’ll crunch through when I get a chance. I’m curious as to how charge loss through SEI shows up in the data.
@Cyp The Eastern Edge - NotchEV edition race may have provided a data point (maybe Tom would be interested since he has the numbers in his
StateOfCharge video). At the end of the race, available charge went from 8% to 0% when the Gravity finally got to sit and rest. I wonder if that is the BMS adjusting for 2k miles of SEI (at least, as one factor). I imagine it’s impossible to measure directly.