Speculation Apple & Rivian Reportedly in Partnership Talks

Tim-in-CA

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring, Rivian R1S
Referral Code
OZLJ2XPG
Saw this posted on Rivian Forums and Reddit ….

Details very light:

https://www.investors.com/news/apple-rivian-in-talks-for-partnership/

Apple (AAPL) is in talks with EV maker Rivian(RIVN) about a possible partnership, DigiTimes reported Monday night.

Taiwan-based Digitimes cited supply chain sources. But it's unclear what any such alliance would entail. Apple canceled its long-running "Project Titan" Apple Car in late February.

Translated DigiTimes Article:

https://www.digitimes.com.tw/tech/dt/n/shwnws.asp?CnlID=1&Cat=90&id=0000691611_3Y27SNDX0413BI2HC2PL0

H/t to: kenypowa on reddit

It was recently reported that Apple has put a sudden brake on its "Project Titan", commonly known as Apple Car, in order to shift related resources to generative AI. However, Apple has invested 10 years and spent an average of 1 billion US dollars per year. Will this be written off? The answer is probably no.

Recently, there have been rumors in the supply chain that Apple is discussing the possibility of cooperation with a new car-making force in the United States. Even though the demand for electric vehicles is currently sluggish and the capital market is on the sidelines, American start-ups trapped in selling one car at a loss are under great pressure to survive. However, there are still some new car manufacturers that are close to emerging from mass production hell, and their order visibility is not bad.

Currently, Rivian is the one most vocal in contacting Apple. Although Rivian is still strapped for funds and cannot escape the wave of layoffs, its cooperation in building cars for Amazon continues, and it is rumored that order visibility in the second half of 2024 is not bad.

Apple has accumulated 10 years of high-end self-driving research and development energy, but it has never been able to put it on the road. If we take the opportunity of cooperating with Rivian to instill the software into fleets that are already on the road, we can achieve benefits in the shortest time. Starting from basic L2+, we can effectively test it, and quickly follow the opening of various markets to L3 or higher-level self-driving. , fast and seamless connection. The key to entering the smart driving track is the effective acquisition and utilization of data.

However, at present, it is only known that Apple is negotiating, and the outside world cannot know its purpose and method of cooperation.

If Apple and Rivian join hands, there will be another indirect contact, namely Amazon. There may be room for imaginable cooperation between them in the future of generative AI.

Apple is currently the only player in the mobile phone industry that has not announced its generative AI layout, and is resuming negotiations with Open AI; while Amazon has already launched its layout in high-end AI computing and chip self-research, and its heavily invested AI start-up Anthropic is in Apple. The App Store launched the chatbot application "Claude" and so on.

In the automotive field, generative AI is currently mainly developed in three areas: first, smart voice assistants for smart cockpits; second, using generative AI to simulate various assisted driving situations; third, car manufacturing and export systems.

As far as smart cockpit voice assistants are concerned, representative companies include cooperation between Mercedes-Benz and Microsoft, Volkswagen and Cerence, etc.

In fact, Amazon has also made efforts in the smart cockpit operating system, which has been embedded in the car body and specifically cooperates with certain car manufacturers. Apple has been using Carplay to connect car cabins and has widely connected with various car manufacturers. In the future, AI mobile phone functions may focus more on this aspect.

It is worth noting that Rivia and Tesla initially chose not to introduce CarPlay, and in recent years General Motors (GM) followed up and refused to connect, which has caused dissatisfaction among some consumers, which shows that Apple has a strength that is difficult to replace.

In addition, generative AI has also begun to involve assisted driving and high-end self-driving, such as the cooperation between Bosch and Microsoft. Industry players pointed out that currently this field is still dominated by cloud exercises. Generative AI can significantly reduce testing work through simulation, data analysis, etc. to speed up development and reduce costs; while Apple Car is still This acceleration tool is not used.

As for the car sales and service system, it is less directly related to Apple, which is rumored not to make cars. However, consumers may be more connected through its product sales system, etc., and the potential for cultivation cannot be ignored.

Industry insiders pointed out that the main reason for the mobile phone group to enter electric vehicles is to expand the applicable data platform, from mobile phones, homes, cars to various network connections. For Apple, expanding the connectable areas as much as possible is the best starting point for investing in generative AI.

I don’t buy it.

Yeah, thats not happening. Rivian's brand image is the furthest thing away from Apple that I can think of (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). If Apple actually wanted to get into EVs, they would try to get a revolutionary product/make a revolutionary product as they have for other segments, and Rivian is not that. Again, its not necessarily a bad thing.

To be clear: I have no trouble believing someone at Apple had a conversation with someone at Rivian. What that leads to is pure speculation. Could have been an Apple Evangelist trying to get Rivian to reconsider CarPlay. Or more likely, to make a native Apple Music app for the Rivian platform.

I would not be surprised if representatives from Apple have regular meetings with most auto manufacturers. Doesn't mean Apple is buying or partnering with any of them.

Saw this posted on Rivian Forums and Reddit ….

Details very light:

https://www.investors.com/news/apple-rivian-in-talks-for-partnership/

Apple (AAPL) is in talks with EV maker Rivian(RIVN) about a possible partnership, DigiTimes reported Monday night.

Taiwan-based Digitimes cited supply chain sources. But it's unclear what any such alliance would entail. Apple canceled its long-running "Project Titan" Apple Car in late February.

Translated DigiTimes Article:

https://www.digitimes.com.tw/tech/dt/n/shwnws.asp?CnlID=1&Cat=90&id=0000691611_3Y27SNDX0413BI2HC2PL0

H/t to: kenypowa on reddit

It was recently reported that Apple has put a sudden brake on its "Project Titan", commonly known as Apple Car, in order to shift related resources to generative AI. However, Apple has invested 10 years and spent an average of 1 billion US dollars per year. Will this be written off? The answer is probably no.

Recently, there have been rumors in the supply chain that Apple is discussing the possibility of cooperation with a new car-making force in the United States. Even though the demand for electric vehicles is currently sluggish and the capital market is on the sidelines, American start-ups trapped in selling one car at a loss are under great pressure to survive. However, there are still some new car manufacturers that are close to emerging from mass production hell, and their order visibility is not bad.

Currently, Rivian is the one most vocal in contacting Apple. Although Rivian is still strapped for funds and cannot escape the wave of layoffs, its cooperation in building cars for Amazon continues, and it is rumored that order visibility in the second half of 2024 is not bad.

Apple has accumulated 10 years of high-end self-driving research and development energy, but it has never been able to put it on the road. If we take the opportunity of cooperating with Rivian to instill the software into fleets that are already on the road, we can achieve benefits in the shortest time. Starting from basic L2+, we can effectively test it, and quickly follow the opening of various markets to L3 or higher-level self-driving. , fast and seamless connection. The key to entering the smart driving track is the effective acquisition and utilization of data.

However, at present, it is only known that Apple is negotiating, and the outside world cannot know its purpose and method of cooperation.

If Apple and Rivian join hands, there will be another indirect contact, namely Amazon. There may be room for imaginable cooperation between them in the future of generative AI.

Apple is currently the only player in the mobile phone industry that has not announced its generative AI layout, and is resuming negotiations with Open AI; while Amazon has already launched its layout in high-end AI computing and chip self-research, and its heavily invested AI start-up Anthropic is in Apple. The App Store launched the chatbot application "Claude" and so on.

In the automotive field, generative AI is currently mainly developed in three areas: first, smart voice assistants for smart cockpits; second, using generative AI to simulate various assisted driving situations; third, car manufacturing and export systems.

As far as smart cockpit voice assistants are concerned, representative companies include cooperation between Mercedes-Benz and Microsoft, Volkswagen and Cerence, etc.

In fact, Amazon has also made efforts in the smart cockpit operating system, which has been embedded in the car body and specifically cooperates with certain car manufacturers. Apple has been using Carplay to connect car cabins and has widely connected with various car manufacturers. In the future, AI mobile phone functions may focus more on this aspect.

It is worth noting that Rivia and Tesla initially chose not to introduce CarPlay, and in recent years General Motors (GM) followed up and refused to connect, which has caused dissatisfaction among some consumers, which shows that Apple has a strength that is difficult to replace.

In addition, generative AI has also begun to involve assisted driving and high-end self-driving, such as the cooperation between Bosch and Microsoft. Industry players pointed out that currently this field is still dominated by cloud exercises. Generative AI can significantly reduce testing work through simulation, data analysis, etc. to speed up development and reduce costs; while Apple Car is still This acceleration tool is not used.

As for the car sales and service system, it is less directly related to Apple, which is rumored not to make cars. However, consumers may be more connected through its product sales system, etc., and the potential for cultivation cannot be ignored.

Industry insiders pointed out that the main reason for the mobile phone group to enter electric vehicles is to expand the applicable data platform, from mobile phones, homes, cars to various network connections. For Apple, expanding the connectable areas as much as possible is the best starting point for investing in generative AI.
Didn't the last time speculation came it was with Hyundai and because it got leaked it spoiled it and Apple pulled out? I wonder if same will happen to Rivian if so lol

Didn't the last time speculation came it was with Hyundai and because it got leaked it spoiled it and Apple pulled out? I wonder if same will happen to Rivian if so lol
Yeah, that didn’t happen, either.

The sooner folks get that 99.999% of all reporting on Apple is fabricated nonsense, the better.

Yeah, that didn’t happen, either.

The sooner folks get that 99.999% of all reporting on Apple is fabricated nonsense, the better.
Hey, have you heard that the iPhone 15 would have an Ultra model replacing the Pro Max? Wait no, the 16 would... wait no, make that the 17. And also, where are our solid state volume buttons? I thought it was supposed to be on the 14... wait no... the 15..

(this is basically how anything Apple works)

Hey, have you heard that the iPhone 15 would have an Ultra model replacing the Pro Max? Wait no, the 16 would... wait no, make that the 17. And also, where are our solid state volume buttons? I thought it was supposed to be on the 14... wait no... the 15..

(this is basically how anything Apple works)
Apple rumor sites operate on the "If you wait long enough, almost anything will eventually happen" principle. OLED iPads are a perfect example. They've been "coming" since shortly after the original iPad in 2010. On Tuesday that one finally came true. So the rumor site will pat themselves on the back for that one, even though they've been wrong for almost twelve years.

Not all that different from doomsday cults predicting the end of the world on such and such a date. When the date passes, just pick a new future date!

Apple rumor sites operate on the "If you wait long enough, almost anything will eventually happen" principle. OLED iPads are a perfect example. They've been "coming" since shortly after the original iPad in 2010. On Tuesday that one finally came true. So the rumor site will pat themselves on the back for that one, even though they've been wrong for almost twelve years.

Not all that different from doomsday cults predicting the end of the world on such and such a date. When the date passes, just pick a new future date!
Oh, as somebody who's been following this space since 2017, I totally hear you. It always annoys me.. the next example of this will likely be the "iPhone Fold". Although as a younger person I used to ardently follow this, I no longer do as I've realized so many of these rumors are complete BS as you say (or they are way off in terms of timeline).

Off topic, but this new iPad Pro is seriously impressive. I actually have had a 7th gen iPod nano in "yellow" (its more of a lime green) since 2013 (don't ask, birthday gift.. and yes I was 4) and I fell in love with that little monster. I used to preload many songs on that from my PC, all of which were downloaded and imported into iTunes ("pirated" maybe?) and put into the iPad. Did anybody actually pay for iTunes songs? I still have it to this day, although I sadly don't use it anymore. To hear that this iPAD is EVEN thinner than that is simply insane, and I just want to experience what it would feel like to experience it in-person!

1715305568450.png

(the flat edges will likely/sadly make it look thicker and feel thicker though, similarly to the difference between the M1/M2 Air)

Back