Another Regen Question

Daniel2022AT

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring
Hello everyone,

I just took delivery of my Lucid Air Touring last week. I think it is a fantastic vehicle and I am still learning all of the features.

One thing I notice that is different from my test drive (as I remember it several months ago) is there is no perceivable difference in Standard vs. High regen when in "Smooth" drive mode. Basically, the Standard regen feels very aggressive and no different from High. That is not how I remembered it. I do sense some difference in regen levels when in Swift mode.

From reading various threads on regen, it sounds like regen dynamics may have been tweaked over various software updates.

I would like a less aggressive regen option for Smooth. One specific use case: when switching out of cruise control, aggressive regen makes it more difficult to seamlessly take over manual control of the accelerator pedal and slow down gradually for a stop light.

Short of Lucid reprogramming regen, perhaps the simple answer for me is to use Swift/Standard when driving around town and/or not using cruise control in traffic.

Any thoughts or recommendations??

We drove my GT in Smooth most of the time and you could definitely feel the difference between Standard and High regen modes. In High, I almost never touched the brake, but in Standard I had to use the brake to stop quickly at a light. We turned off the Creep mode, which seemed to make the regen less effective.

Interesting. In Smooth/Standard, my regen wrestles the car down to a full stop very quickly. No need whatsoever for the brake.

I have a Touring and there is a perceivable difference between standard and high regen on smooth. With standard, if I let off pedal, it doesn't jolt my head forward, but with high regen, I get that abrupt slowdown which causes my head to jolt forwards a bit.

I have a Touring and there is a perceivable difference between standard and high regen on smooth. With standard, if I let off pedal, it doesn't jolt my head forward, but with high regen, I get that abrupt slowdown which causes my head to jolt forwards a bit.
If you’d like less regen, put it in Swift.

You will find more details about regen in each driving mode here:

One specific use case: when switching out of cruise control, aggressive regen makes it more difficult to seamlessly take over manual control of the accelerator pedal and slow down gradually for a stop light.
Mentioned elsewhere is a technique for that takeover that suggests pressing the accelerator while in HA/ACC just enough to see the Override notice on the screen, then disengaging the assist. I use that technique when exiting a freeway, then gradually releasing the accelerator to control that smooth slowdown, stopping at exactly the desired point.

there is no perceivable difference in Standard vs. High regen when in "Smooth" drive mode.

Definitely a difference for me. Being a newbie EV driver, I was initially bothered by it even in the low setting but, once I learned how to properly drive with it, I moved it up to high and absolutely love one-pedal driving now.

What was the SoC of the battery? Any chance they had topped it to 100% for you - which would almost eliminate the regen...

Thank you all for your thoughts and feedback. This is a great community.

SoC was 80% at delivery.

Thank you for the technique ideas about exiting HA/ACC mode.

I have driven the car for a few days now I so now I have a good feel for it. Its all good.

Thanks.

Back