Air Conditioning

Keep it coming, but hopefully not. Found another issue with my car regarding the rear sun shade getting stuck after pushing the shade button. Couldn't be resolved at service so a replacement is being ordered.

Well . . . sigh . . . at least our sunshades work fine. Just curious, though. How many service visits have you needed so far?

Well . . . sigh . . . at least our sunshades work fine. Just curious, though. How many service visits have you needed so far?
They came out once because of trunk not operating, turns out that was a software thing that has been updated now.
They have taken my car in for service twice now to replace stuff...

1st service
Frunk latches - both
Rear trunk seal
Trunk close button
Trunk liner
Extra glue around door handle

2nd visit
Driver door checker latch
CHMSL - the rear brake light plastic body thing was scratched (my inkling that this was the fit and finish part)
Had them check the seat belts, sharp edges
Rear sun shade
Console was missing letters on the parking mode - one time occurrence, never saw it again but got a picture.

Nothing that has been changed or serviced was anything major, but you know what they say...it's the little things.

But really, I would not expect the majority of this stuff to be replaced by any other manufacturer. It was just done because it wasn't perfect. I KNOW for the frunk that it would have been within spec for some other unnamed EV company and that was the "biggest" issue I had.

I'm finding when the Lucid wakes up and turns on the A/C it is manually set to BLASTING. I hit [Auto] and it calms down. Until the next time I get in the car.

Has anyone else been seeing this? I'm running the .55 release, have had the car since December and I don't think I noticed this Blasting A/C behaviour before

Thanks /keith

I'm finding when the Lucid wakes up and turns on the A/C it is manually set to BLASTING. I hit [Auto] and it calms down. Until the next time I get in the car.

Has anyone else been seeing this? I'm running the .55 release, have had the car since December and I don't think I noticed this Blasting A/C behaviour before

Thanks /keith
Mine does this on occasion. Doesn't seem to be any pattern to it.

Pete

I asked ChatGPT this question: “How many watts does air conditioning draw in a electric car?”. Here was the answer:

The power consumption of an electric car's air conditioning system can vary depending on various factors, such as the size of the vehicle, the ambient temperature, and the desired cabin temperature. On average, electric car air conditioning systems can draw around 1,000 to 3,000 watts (1 to 3 kilowatts) when operating at full capacity. However, it's important to note that this is a rough estimate, and the actual power consumption can differ among different car models and specific conditions.

I asked ChatGPT this question: “How many watts does air conditioning draw in a electric car?”. Here was the answer:

The power consumption of an electric car's air conditioning system can vary depending on various factors, such as the size of the vehicle, the ambient temperature, and the desired cabin temperature. On average, electric car air conditioning systems can draw around 1,000 to 3,000 watts (1 to 3 kilowatts) when operating at full capacity. However, it's important to note that this is a rough estimate, and the actual power consumption can differ among different car models and specific conditions.
So, the future is here? No more calls to CC?

They trained ChatGPT on this topic with 8th graders knowledge 😁

The problem with ChatGPT and services like it, is the results are as only as good as the data fed into it. Unfortunately the dataset of the Internet is not what I would call accurate.

Back on topic, has there been any update on the AC effectiveness, it's ok in my car but I would say it's barely capable of keeping up with the cooling needs in the car on a hot sunny day. I've played around with remote starting it and comparing to my model 3, it takes a lot longer to cool down and never seems to get to the target temp of 70 even after running for more than 20min.

The problem with ChatGPT and services like it, is the results are as only as good as the data fed into it. Unfortunately the dataset of the Internet is not what I would call accurate.

Back on topic, has there been any update on the AC effectiveness, it's ok in my car but I would say it's barely capable of keeping up with the cooling needs in the car on a hot sunny day. I've played around with remote starting it and comparing to my model 3, it takes a lot longer to cool down and never seems to get to the target temp of 70 even after running for more than 20min.
I have also found the A/C to be marginal at best, yet there are others on this board that find otherwise.

I am going to make a guess that maybe the ones who find it adequate are owners who live in the hotter climates like AZ and Florida.

I have 2 brothers that relocated to Florida when they retired. They both told me their bodies adapted to the hotter temperatures after a year or so, and they now keep a higher temperature in the house than when they first arrived.

If you are used to a hotter climate then maybe with those owners the A/C is fine. But for those who live in more temperate areas, may find it inadequate when the temp rises to 90 degrees.

Anyway, just my conjecture, as there seems to be a significant difference on those who are happy with the A/C and those who are not. I am in the latter camp.

Humidity appears to play a large factor. Manually adjusting the air conditioning at high levels is required.

For instance, today it was no more than 71-73 F° outside with a downpour. An hour or two of that the inside of the car felt sweltering. Different day of 90+ with low humidity, the car does just fine, if not too much, of temperature adjustment to a comfortable range.

Back