- Joined
- Nov 18, 2022
- Messages
- 1,601
- Reaction score
- 1,330
- Cars
- Lucid Air Grand Touring
My PERSONNAL OPINION is, depending on the usage, the paranoia with (cheaper) NEMA 14-50 sockets is somewhat exaggerated.There are plenty of NEMA 14-15 outlets that are ok, but it’s still always prudent to check as there are a lot of cheap ones that can cause a fire. Many are not designed for the continuous max current load that EV’s demand and it’s a good troubleshooting step.
It’s true we have had a lot of software problems and it’s easy to blame the software. I’m leaning toward @BS8899 Wunderbox theory in this case, with the next step being a service call as the OP is doing.
I am NOT dismissing the concerns with crappy 14-50 sockets per se. My point is it depends on how it is used. Specifically,
>if you keep plugging/unplugging your AC charge adapter from the NEMA 14-50 socket every single time you change your vehicle, then YES, you should pay a premium and get a Hubble or Bryant as they are more robust with their contacts. But do you actually do that?
> the original NEMA 14-50 socket was primarily designed for clothes dryers. Most clothes dryers draw ~30Amps, and they are not unplugged every time you use the dryer (hence, not flexing the contacts).
> For me, I have 3 installations of NEMA 14-50 receptables. Two are Hubble sockets. The other one is Bryant. Both Hubble and Bryant have "beefier" contacts.
> Key is, I seldomly (maybe 1X/year) I'd unplug my charger from the receptacle. I don't think I need to pay $100 for a Hubble receptacle.
I am NOT advising others to just buy the cheap Home Depot NEMA 14-50 sockets for $10. But if you leave your charger plugged in all/most of the time, pick one that is more robust than the $10 "el-cheapo". There are plenty of $30 NEMA sockets with robust contacts.
I am all for safety. But I don't think we need to over-do it and buy the most expensive NEMA 14-50 sockets.
Welcome opinion by others.