A Spare Tire Question...

I recently bought an EV SportLine spare tire and jack/lug tool kit. A year or so ago, an Air owner had a flat during a small group road rally, and another driver and I waited while he put on his spare. I don't recall what brand spare/kit he had, but I watched in disbelief as he was jacking up the car using the kit's yellow scissor jack ratchet. He was doing everything right, and nothing appeared to be under any undue strain, but that yellow jack ratchet just slowly failed under the car's weight. It looked to me as though the failure point was the yellow plastic and internal/surrounding metal, and not the ratchet mechanism itself. Fortunately, another owner had a similar looking jack ratchet, and his got the job done. Has anyone else had a similar experience, and if so, with what brand? If it's an at all common problem, I would rather buy a more robust ratchet now rather then be wondering if that odd failure point might leave me stranded. Thanks!
Used my scissor jack to remove all 4 tires, no problem at all!
 
Used my scissor jack to remove all 4 tires, no problem at all!
I'm really liking the idea of having a backup for the ratchet rather than the jack itself. I'll drag my spare/jack out tomorrow and figure it out.
 
Back
Top