360 View Camera/Sensors Suite: Blind Spot Cameras + Blind Spot Monitoring, Front + Back Cameras, Who Needs Mirrors Anymore?

changinator

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Pure
One of the things I love about of my Lucid is its Dream Drive suite of cameras and sensors that enable me to drive and park with confidence. From being able to view my blind spots as I merge into lanes while visually and audibly warn me if there is a vehicle in the lane I'm attempting to merge into to being able to meticulously manuever tight spaces with the 360 view cameras, I find myself rarely using my mirrors as much anymore. I still use with my side mirrors sometimes but mainly just to double check the cameras. However, I find myself not using my rear view mirror anymore because I feel the cameras give me a better and wider view.

And with OTA updates enhancing the software to maximize use of these cameras/sensors, it only gets better and better every major update.

Fellow Lucid owners, do you find yourselves relying on the cameras/sensors more than the mirrors?

It's possible to get by without the blind spot cameras if you angle the side mirrors to show blind spots (which many drivers don't do). But it's easier not to turn my head, so I use the cameras when switching lanes. Also, when merging, because of the wide B and C pillars (as with virtually all modern cars) it's harder to see traffic in the lane you're going to merge into without the cameras. But the blind spot cameras are only on when turn signals are on, and I like to have as much situational awareness as possible, so I routinely use all mirrors.

The 360 view camera is also technically unnecessary but it is really nice. I have not yet encountered a situation where rotating the view helps, but perhaps I'm using it wrong.

I am glad they offered the cameras a la carte - I would have struggled to justify spending $12k to keep DDP, when I didn't bother using HA even during the free trial.

I really try to remember to look in the side mirrors from time to time. But I mostly rely on the cameras most of the time because it's so much easier. But, as is often noted with this car, the software is not perfect. I've had all the camera displays go out on me twice and I was happy to have mirrors to complete my drive. I really wouldn't want a car without them. I guess that is a legit thing, not in the US, but in other countries.

We have 360 cams on both our cars, and I won't buy another car without them.
I do enjoy the side view cams, but switching frequently between the Air and another car without dashboard side view,, I sometimes forget to look at the screen image.

Who needs mirrors anymore?

I do, since out surround-view display, front-view camera, and blind-spot camera displays quit working two weeks ago. The car is being hauled off to a Service Center tomorrow.

None of these software-driven electronic devices should be without hardware backups -- including an old-fashioned metal lock and key to back up key fobs, mobile keys, and key cards which follow their own murky inclinations as to whether you should be allowed in the car or not. None of these things are reliable enough yet, as 17 months of dealing with one software/electronic problem after another have taught me.

I purchased the DD Premium package partially because my wife really likes the blind-spot cameras, but I still turn my head when changing lanes and the first thing I'll see is the blind spot indicator - the yellow light - in the side mirror, which I rely on more than the blind spot camera.

It's possible to get by without the blind spot cameras if you angle the side mirrors to show blind spots (which many drivers don't do). But it's easier not to turn my head, so I use the cameras when switching lanes. Also, when merging, because of the wide B and C pillars (as with virtually all modern cars) it's harder to see traffic in the lane you're going to merge into without the cameras. But the blind spot cameras are only on when turn signals are on, and I like to have as much situational awareness as possible, so I routinely use all mirrors.

The 360 view camera is also technically unnecessary but it is really nice. I have not yet encountered a situation where rotating the view helps, but perhaps I'm using it wrong.

I am glad they offered the cameras a la carte - I would have struggled to justify spending $12k to keep DDP, when I didn't bother using HA even during the free trial.
I have my side view mirrors set as you describe (and have for years). The blind spot warning is nonetheless a useful feature. While I appreciate the educational value of only showing the blind spot warning when the turn signal is on (educational in that it will help train drivers to use the $#^%$ turn signal) I really would prefer that it always show a car in either of my blind spots. Just a second level check even though I do still check the mirrors before changing lanes or turning (I am old and turning the head is baked into my consciousness).

I use my 360 cameras a lot for parking and maneuvering in parking garages (and even my own garage). I think they are very useful and I am very glad that Lucid decided to offer the DD Premium alternative.

I have my side view mirrors set as you describe (and have for years). The blind spot warning is nonetheless a useful feature. While I appreciate the educational value of only showing the blind spot warning when the turn signal is on (educational in that it will help train drivers to use the $#^%$ turn signal) I really would prefer that it always show a car in either of my blind spots. Just a second level check even though I do still check the mirrors before changing lanes or turning (I am old and turning the head is baked into my consciousness).

I use my 360 cameras a lot for parking and maneuvering in parking garages (and even my own garage). I think they are very useful and I am very glad that Lucid decided to offer the DD Premium alternative.
The yellow light in the mirror is on whether you have the turn signal on or not.

Hello all,

I have been struggling a lot with the 360 cameras in my Lucid GT 2022. Software version 2.1.10. Sometimes it works perfectly, then suddenly when I start the car the blind spot display stops working (surround view fine). Then, the surround view stops functioning… I then try to reboot the car entertainment and occasionally it comes back on, but occasionally do not. Is it something any of you are facing? Please any advice welcome! Thanks

Hello all,

I have been struggling a lot with the 360 cameras in my Lucid GT 2022. Software version 2.1.10. Sometimes it works perfectly, then suddenly when I start the car the blind spot display stops working (surround view fine). Then, the surround view stops functioning… I then try to reboot the car entertainment and occasionally it comes back on, but occasionally do not. Is it something any of you are facing? Please any advice welcome! Thanks
If a reboot doesn’t seem to fix it consistently, could be you could have a problem with one or more of your cameras. I know in the past some folks have reported that one bad camera can cause the whole system of cameras and 360 to flake out. I’d contact CS.

If a reboot doesn’t seem to fix it consistently, could be you could have a problem with one or more of your cameras. I know in the past some folks have reported that one bad camera can cause the whole system of cameras and 360 to flake out. I’d contact CS.

Our car is returning today from a Service Center where all the cameras were replaced. In stages over a few days we lost our surround view, forward camera display, and blind spot camera displays, and the rear view display became hazy. It turned out 3 of the 14 cameras had failed, but the entire suite had to be replaced. The service advisor said they all have to have matched serial numbers, so I took that to mean that the cameras somehow work as part of an integrated unit and cannot be replaced piecemeal.

On another note, we also got a new windshield under warranty. We bought this car used after our original Dream Edition was totaled in a wreck. While the car was in the shop for the camera repair, the driver-side sun visor became detached. The Service Center said it had been detached earlier and someone had glued it back in place improperly. I'm not sure why this required replacement of the entire windshield.

The car had come down from New Hampshire in winter, and the windshield had a lot of sand pitting on it -- something which was mysteriously missing from the front bumper and hood. I had almost asked Lucid to replace the windshield on my own dime when they took the car in for the camera repair, but I decided the problem wasn't severe enough and that I would wait to see if the windshield picked up further damage.

Last edited:
Our car is returning today from a Service Center where all the cameras were replaced. In stages over a few days we lost our surround view, forward camera display, and blind spot camera displays, and the rear view display became hazy. It turned out 3 of the 14 cameras had failed, but the entire suite had to be replaced. The service advisor said they all have to have matched serial numbers, so I took that to mean that the cameras somehow work as part of an integrated unit and cannot be replaced piecemeal.
Thank you! Very helpful! I understand the group is having good and consistent experience with the camera system, and this is probably a hardware issue in my vehicle and not something related to the recent software version - 2.1.10. Anybody else having issues?

Back