3.5” Midrange Speakers

bmcinsd

Member

Joined
Dec 14, 2025
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Cars
2024 Lucid Air Pure
For someone who listens to a lot of EDM music, what 3.5” speakers would work well as aftermarket replacement? I hear a lot about Focal Utopias but are they the choice for EDM? I have the 9 speaker system (I think there are 11 speakers - midrange and tweeters in rear passenger doors)and plan on matching the speakers to a Helix V12 AMP/DSP for timing and correction. Thought on speakers other than Focal Utopias?
 
I was going to suggest Focal, also really like MB Quartz, but ultimatly depends how you'll be running them upgraded amps etc. Stereo mods are like having a drug addiction it just never ends 😂
 
Yes,.. trying to make smart decisions before going down that rabbit hole of $$$. Was thinking about Morel, Blam, Hertz, Audiofrog..
 
I don't think it would matter much since 3.5 doesn't see much frequency in EDM music. The 9 speaker system is pretty good, you could add more bass as a first start.
 
The Utopias will be great on any genre and can handle abuse if that is the concern. Make sure you look at dimensions (primarily outer circumference and depth) before deciding unless you are planning to fabricate a custom mounting solution. The Utopias are about as snug as you can fit using the factory mounting points, so larger 3-3.5 inch drivers might self-eliminate.

Are you planning to integrate the V Twelve into the OEM signal or run a separate, dedicated signal?
 
I presume you would have to make custom mounting solutions/ 3D printed for any aftermarket speaker. I was just curious if someone has mounted the something like the Hertz 700.3 (3”). As far as signal, I think most have pulled the signal post stock amplifier.
 
A custom mounting ring will be required for any speaker, yes. But you can also customize the entire corner dash area to fit a larger driver than the factory mounting points would fit if you wanted to go that route.

This picture from the thread @DreamTour posted about his build shows the tight tolerances of the Utopia within the custom mounting ring using factory mounting points. I mentioned paying attention to dimensions because the Utopia appears to max out the diameter, but the Hertz 700.3 is slightly smaller, so you shouldn't have any fitment issue with that dimension. If you were looking at something larger like the Steg MSS3, it would require modifications to the factory location.

Screenshot_20260129_215346_Firefox.webp
 
So,… I understand that once you get the dash out, perhaps widen the stock area to a 4” opening for more speaker choices. Curious if the depth is an issue.
 
If you're pulling the dash, sky's the limit on what you can put in there. Fabricating a custom baffle to fit a larger driver would be an easier chore and you'll have better visibility of barriers/tolerances.

Something to consider after initial install, though, is serviceability. A big consideration with depth for a dash corner location is the ability to squeeze a larger driver between the plane of the dashboard and the windshield. Angling the baffle may help with servicability here (as well as improving acoustical response). My preference would be to have access to remove and install without requiring a dash pull in case something needs to be addressed down the line. It comes down to what you'll be comfortable with, though...always compromises in car audio.
 
That is great advice! Very much appreciate it. I’m still curious which speakers are actively controlled and which ones are active/passive (mid/tweeter with passive crossover). On another note, the most important speakers are the L/R front mids/tweeters.. what about the front footwell 8”, rear doors and rear deck. Does it make sense to spend $$$ on Focal Utopias in those areas or perhaps a lower class Focal, Hertz, Morel.. etc.
 
I had the base SS system in my first Air (leased), but didn't have time to swap out anything due to competing life priorities. What I did understand, though, is that base SS does not have the front kickpanel woofers (Lucid calls them subwoofers). All of the bass comes from the rear deck woofer. The cutout in the sheet metal panel is probably still there, but you wont have the OEM mounting solution to use as a template - the panel is not flat. The thread I referenced above has very good photos of this and the mounting rings developed for the aftermarket midbass. You'll definitely need a custom mounting solution here and you'll likely need to run speaker wire as I doubt the harness will be there.

As far as what brand to use, same advice on dimensions. In this case, since the OEM drivers are 8s, my focus would be on depth. You will be constrained on both the back (kick panel depth) and front (distance to the dash) sides. Utopias are relatively shallow for their size. A solid contender at about a quarter of the price would be the Helix Ci5 S200FM.
 
Great advice, thank you. My goal is to spend the greatest $$$ on the front stage. Not sure of the value investing in very high end 8,” like the Focal, since the sound is behind the kick panel. Thats a nice suggestion for midbass with the Helix Ci5. Looks like great value for the specs.
 
Back
Top