24 and 23 Pure Test Drives

Pacernow

Reaction score
Cars
Tesla Model Y Long Range
All,
Had the opportunity to test drive a 24 Pure at the Lucid Studio in Plano, TX. If you are considering or thinking about a Lucid call the Plano studio and ask for Lucy. My advisor was Lucy and she is very knowledgeable about her product and is very delightful you lady. If you are considering or thinking about a Lucid call the Plano studio and ask for Lucy. I spent about an hour with Lucy. We spent 30 minutes talking about my history with the Y, features I would like to have on my next car/vehicle, why was I considering a Lucid, and leasing vs purchasing. I mentioned my concern about the $7500 tax credit for leasing, but not for purchasing. Lucy reviewed some features of the 2025 Pure. All of the 24 Pure's have been built. Sat in an Air Touring on the show room floor and she demonstrated the Dream Drive. I mentioned that I would want the basic Dream Drive and ventilated seats. Lucy mentioned that starting in late September model 2022 lease returns would be turned in. I told her that I be interested in one of those depending on model, price, features and Texas state laws.
The test drive took 15-20 minutes. Tried all three suspensions. The regen brake was sat at standard.

Pros:
Liked the camera and sensors in the front and rear
Excellent acceleration. Would start will a rolling start then floor the accelerator. Got to 60+ very quickly. Faster than my Y which has acceleration boost software.
Quiet interior. Very little road noise. Definitely beats the Y.
Plenty of room in the trunk and frunk.
Driver's seat is comfortable. Good lumbar support.
Adjusting the steering wheel and side mirrors very similar to the Y.

Cons:
Regen brake was set at standard. Slow to brake the car. Had to use the friction brake routinely. Very disappointing!
In the smooth suspension the road was rough. Felt the majority of the bumps. I do not know if this street was overly rough. Plano is know for their rough streets. Grave concern.
The drivers seat is too low even after adjustment. I see this as a reason not to buy a Pure. Could be difficult to get use to.
The test drive was too short. Needed to be at least 30 minutes.

Test drove a 23 Pure AWD at a ICE dealership in Plano. This was a basic 23 Pure with optional the 20" wheels. The test drive went well. Was not as rough/bumpy as the 24 Pure. Probably different in streets or having the motor in front adding weight to the front end. I do not know the suspension or how the regen brake was set. The regen brake was slow to respond and had to use the friction brakes. The A Pillar on the passenger side may it difficult to see traffic from the right.

Did your first test drive ('24 Pure) have 21" wheels? That will affect road feel, including bumps. I have 19" wheels for easy availability of all-season tires with robust sidewalls and a smooth highway ride.

I'd highly recommend another test drive or two, preferably longer (45 minutes). I didn't actually fully appreciate my Air's balance of handling and ride quality until months of ownership. I may be slow in this regard. You do get used to looking around the A-pillars, no longer an issue for me. The car does sit low - I'm very used to getting in and out, but if you have back problems, it could be an issue compared to an SUV with higher seating.

My GT's regen braking is quite enough to bring the car to a stop in traffic without using the friction brake. But I don't have driving experience in a Pure to comment on its regen.

Last edited:
DeaneG,
That is a great question about tire size. I do not know. Thank you for calling that to my attention. The 23 Pure had 20" tires and it's ride was smooth very little bumps, but the city of Plano has been repaving that street. Thank you for your comments.

DeaneG,
That is a great question about tire size. I do not know. Thank you for calling that to my attention. The 23 Pure had 20" tires and it's ride was smooth very little bumps, but the city of Plano has been repaving that street. Thank you for your comments.
It might be worth a phone call to the Plano studio to ask about the wheel size on the demo vehicle you drove. My GT's ride on 19" wheels is quite smooth for its handling prowess. An extremely comfortable highway cruiser.

Thong1999,
Thank you for your response. Does the basic Dream Drive have the 360 degree cameras?

Basic dream drive does not have 360 view nor left right signal camera view

All,
Had the opportunity to test drive a 24 Pure at the Lucid Studio in Plano, TX. If you are considering or thinking about a Lucid call the Plano studio and ask for Lucy. My advisor was Lucy and she is very knowledgeable about her product and is very delightful you lady. If you are considering or thinking about a Lucid call the Plano studio and ask for Lucy. I spent about an hour with Lucy. We spent 30 minutes talking about my history with the Y, features I would like to have on my next car/vehicle, why was I considering a Lucid, and leasing vs purchasing. I mentioned my concern about the $7500 tax credit for leasing, but not for purchasing. Lucy reviewed some features of the 2025 Pure. All of the 24 Pure's have been built. Sat in an Air Touring on the show room floor and she demonstrated the Dream Drive. I mentioned that I would want the basic Dream Drive and ventilated seats. Lucy mentioned that starting in late September model 2022 lease returns would be turned in. I told her that I be interested in one of those depending on model, price, features and Texas state laws.
The test drive took 15-20 minutes. Tried all three suspensions. The regen brake was sat at standard.

Pros:
Excellent acceleration. Would start will a rolling start then floor the accelerator. Got to 60+ very quickly. Faster than my Y which has acceleration boost software.

Cons:
Regen brake was set at standard. Slow to brake the car. Had to use the friction brake routinely. Very disappointing!
In the smooth suspension the road was rough. Felt the majority of the bumps. I do not know if this street was overly rough. Plano is know for their rough streets. Grave concern.
The drivers seat is too low even after adjustment. I see this as a reason not to buy a Pure. Could be difficult to get use to.

Test drove a 23 Pure AWD at a ICE dealership in Plano. This was a basic 23 Pure with optional the 20" wheels. The test drive went well. Was not as rough/bumpy as the 24 Pure. Probably different in streets or having the motor in front adding weight to the front end. I do not know the suspension or how the regen brake was set. The regen brake was slow to respond and had to use the friction brakes. The A Pillar on the passenger side may it difficult to see traffic from the right.
Just curious, was there a reason you didn't try high regen? It's an easy setting to switch.

I do think the regen on the RWD is less, regardless, due to the single motor. But high regen should still get you to one-pedal driving, even on the Pure.

Just curious, was there a reason you didn't try high regen? It's an easy setting to switch.

I do think the regen on the RWD is less, regardless, due to the single motor. But high regen should still get you to one-pedal driving, even on the Pure.

On my 2024 pure RWD, the available Regen settings are standard or low. I believe high is only available in AWD vehicles. I am able to do single pedal drive if my SOC is below 90%.

Joe,
The sales associate set the regen brake. I did not see where the regen brake setting was located. If I could have found it I would have changed the setting. Having to use the friction brakes was disappointing. With my Y I have the regen set at Hold and the friction brakes are used vert little.

On my 2024 pure RWD, the available Regen settings are standard or low. I believe high is only available in AWD vehicles. I am able to do single pedal drive if my SOC is below 90%.
Tonybot,
Which setting is more aggressive the standard or low?

Joe,
The sales associate set the regen brake. I did not see where the regen brake setting was located. If I could have found it I would have changed the setting. Having to use the friction brakes was disappointing. With my Y I have the regen set at Hold and the friction brakes are used vert little.
At least on my GT, high regen is more aggressive than on my previous model 3 performance or our current Volvo EV. If I have to use the friction brake, it's because someone has cut in front of me.

Deane,
My Y is set on Hold and the majority of the time I can come to a complete stop just using the regen. Thank you for your comments.

All,

Pros:

Cons:

I owned a 2017 MS and can tell you, without question, my 23 Pure gives a much smoother ride on my 19” wheels. As for regen,
there’s almost never a need to touch the brakes, but mine is AWD. I’m not sure about the settings for the RWD Pure.

You are used to driving an SUV where you sit on the vehicle. In a performance coupe/sedan, one sits low and in the vehicle. Many drivers prefer the former for a clearer view of the road and the ease of getting in and out; others prefer the latter for its performance enhancing arrangement. I think you need the longest possible test drive so you can accustomed to driving in a sedan and determine which you prefer and how strong that preference is (you indicate that it could be a deal breaker).

I thought I liked the idea of driving up higher and seeing the road better. So when I got my GV60 Performance (a small SUV/raised hatch) I set up my seating to what I thought was optimal. And I drove that way for many months. Then I discovered that there was a setting for the car to figure out my seat and steering wheel settings. So I tried it. it sat me much lower in the vehicle. It felt uncomfortable at first but once I got used to it I liked it and I have not gone back. That is why I am urging you to do an extended test drive. If you otherwise think you want the sedan, you might even consider a one or two day car rental to really try out the lower seating position and see how it feels to you after driving it more extensively.

A final thought. Before considering the Lucid (I gave up on it after a couple of years on the waiting list) and getting the Genesis GV60P, I was a BMW guy. I was active on the BMW forum and seating was a prime target for likes and dislikes. Seats are one feature you use every single time you use the vehicle. So getting one where you can be comfortable is essential. I got comfortable with the lower seat position and would not go back but that is not what I initially thought.

Back