21" Tire Dilemma - all seasons

McGriddle

Verified Owner
Reaction score
Cars
Lucid Air Touring
Referral Code
53RQMXFL
I'm hoping everyone can give me some thoughts on replacing the current 21" Pirelli P Zeros on my 24 AT with all season tires. From all the previous threads, it seems like this is not an easy choice since there are no 21" tires that match the exact load rating for the OEM Pirellis.

For the OEM Pirelli P Zero:
  • Front: 245/35-R21 99Y; 1709 lbs load / tire
  • Rear: 265/35-R21 103Y; 1929 lbs load / tire
I am considering trying the new Hankook Ion Evo AS all-season tires, but their load ratings are lower:
  • Front: 245/35-R21 96Y; 1565 lbs load / tire
  • Rear: 265/35-R21 101Y; 1819 lbs load / tire
This yields a load deficit of 508 lbs, which is a marked difference. My tire installer flagged this (rightfully so) and warned that I might want to consider a 20" winter tire and wheel combo. However, I'm in a 3 year lease on the Air Touring and I'd really hate to be left with a set of wheels & tires I may never need again assuming I turn in the car in 2027.

Thus, I'm wondering what everyone might think of the following compromise by using the SUV version of the Hankook tires in larger widths.

Hankook Ion Evo AS SUV all-season tires (note the increased widths):
  • Front: 255/35-R21 98W; 1653 lbs load / tire
  • Rear: 275/35-R21 103W; 1929 lbs load / tire (same as Pirelli)
This leaves a deficit of only 112 lbs. The tires would be W speed rated instead of Y rated. Since the AT is speed limited to 140 mph, I don't think having the front tire limited to 168 mph is an issue, other than a nod to the theoretical "quality" of the tire. Perhaps this might be a consideration for GT owners?

From the tiresize.com calculator, the tire differences in sizing are (Size 1 is stock and Size 2 is the Hankook SUV):

Screenshot 2024-10-07 at 5.56.15 PM.webp

Screenshot 2024-10-07 at 5.55.59 PM.webp

Does anyone think that using the Hankook Ion Evo AS SUV tires would make a good compromise? It's only off by a little on load and only the front tires are lower speed rated, but the touring can't get close to that speed anyway. The actual tire sizes differ a little, but would the difference be problematic? Will the increased width cause rubbing? Is the W speed rating is realistic concern?

I'd really like to think through this option before I would jump to getting a full 20" winter tire and wheel combo instead.

There is one other option that has the same load ratings, and it is only sold at Costco - the Michelin Pilot Sport EV. The higher load rating doesn’t exist anywhere else.

I would just get the Pirellis and ensure they are the LM2 version.

Tires and load ratings are one thing I try not to mess around with too much. They’re the only things actually connecting me to the road, so I tend to ensure they’re doing well, as almost anything else on the car failing is less catastrophic than a tire failing.

There is one other option that has the same load ratings, and it is only sold at Costco - the Michelin Pilot Sport EV. The higher load rating doesn’t exist anywhere else.

I would just get the Pirellis and ensure they are the LM2 version.

Tires and load ratings are one thing I try not to mess around with too much. They’re the only things actually connecting me to the road, so I tend to ensure they’re doing well, as almost anything else on the car failing is less catastrophic than a tire failing.
Thanks, but aren't the Michelin Pilot Sport EV and the Pirelli LM2 both summer tires? I'm hoping to replace my current Pirellis with all season tires for now.

Thanks, but aren't the Michelin Pilot Sport EV and the Pirelli LM2 both summer tires? I'm hoping to replace my current Pirellis with all season tires for now.
All-season 21s don't exist for the Lucid as of now.

I completely misread your post; so sorry.

Yes, they're both summer options. There are no all-seasons for the 21s today, at all. You'd need to get the 20s or 19s for that. :\

I completely misread your post; so sorry.

Yes, they're both summer options. There are no all-seasons for the 21s today, at all. You'd need to get the 20s or 19s for that. :\
No worries and thanks @borski . I'm trying to be creative with the tires since I know there isn't a straightforward 21" all season option at the moment.

Back