2028 Jaguar Type 01 EV Revealed With 1,015 HP, 400-Mile Range $130k

Tim-in-CA

Active Member

Verified Owner
Joined
Feb 28, 2022
Messages
1,650
Reaction score
1,747
Location
So. Cal
Cars
Air Touring, Rivian R1S
Referral Code
OZLJ2XPG
IMG_0318.webp


IMG_0319.webp


 
The front reminds me of the Chrysler 300.
The multiple charging ports are nice.
 
Despite its size, poor cargo space, cramped rear seats. Shows how far ahead Lucid is in packaging. Range is European cycle- so expect 340 miles in US.




‘ power hardware rises so far above the rear axle that what’s left of a trunk is only good for a checked bag or two, or a handful of carry-ons.

Big Car, but the Cabin?​

The simple act of opening the doors serves yet another reminder that design held nearly all the reins of this sleigh. Why? Because the openings are tiny—especially the back row, where one big-and-tall-store colleague genuinely had a hard time settling in.

Once you’re inside, the ergonomic quandaries continue, though the cabin’s flashiness does a good job of providing plenty of shiny distractions. The “spine” that runs the length of the cabin rises high enough against the low ceiling to feel a little claustrophobic, though we do love how many hidden pieces and panels are tucked away in there, including extra cupholders and storage points. The front passenger has their own unique issue, where the megacasting that comprises the bulkhead intrudes upon footroom, forcing taller people to either sit flat-footed with their knees toward their chest or awkwardly rest their feet against the entirely vertical bulkhead. If you’re a hobbit who fell into a large sum of human money, though, none of this should be a concern. ‘


 
I was pulling for them, especially putting all their eggs in one basket as a reimagining of the company. But this is an ouch.
 
It looks like a comic book gangster car. I find the front end particularly hideous. The lack of interior practicality will do it no favors either.
 
It continues to be a very polarizing design from a storied brand with a checkered history. I own an example of their prior EV, the I-Pace. When it was released in 2019 it won the "world car of the year award." It was seen as true competition for the Model X and was squarely aimed at those buyers. From a styling standpoint I personally believe that car hit the mark. And styling was clearly it's strong suit. The battery architecture was poor, the LG cells that power it have been incredibly problematic, and the technology was inferior even by 2019 standards. Today my charging is limited to 90% due to a battery recall issue on 2020 models and the range has become anemic. And yet I still thoroughly enjoy driving it daily. Like a lot of owners we were hoping for an electric XJ (I owned a 2012 previously) or an updated I-Pace that corrected what were largely fixable problems in the first generation. Unfortunately for Jaguar they pivoted in a very, very different direction. I understand the motivation. The company was dying in its current form. Unfortunately I don't think the type 01 will be their lifeline.
 
agreed about the iPace, Jaguar should have given Magna one more spin on implementing the improvents they had in-mind before putting it out to pasture. but I don't think sales were all that great when they made the decision to pivot (apart from to Waymo).

I like the Type 01, even the interior with that "spine." It's a luxury touring fastback/liftback sedan, like the $$$ Cadillac Celestiq, not for hauling your kids' mattress to the dorm.

Good for them for taking chances. Rumor has it in the British press the next one in the Jag queue is even more interesting.

I wonder if any of this platform will be used for next year's Range Rover GT. 🤔
 
Reminds me of the Dodge Magnum. I wish more manufacturers would give the station wagon layout a try. I think the Air could make for a spectacular looking wagon trim.
 
Zero connection to Jaguar history or heritage - unless all the electronics fail, which would be pretty on-brand.
 
For me, a major appeal of the Lucid Air is that it’s understated—i.e., it doesn’t shout, “Look at me, I’m an expensive luxury car”—while being comfortable, luxurious, a bit quirky, and brutally powerful.

I find the ongoing supply chain, build quality, service, and sales process issues a serious enough concern to consider taking my money elsewhere, but honestly, I don’t want a trophy car—I want a Lucid Air.
 
Ezra Klein (from NYT) recently had a podcast that, IMO, captures exactly what this car is: vulgar design, similar to the Cybertruck.

Link below if anyone is interested:

 
I appreciate that Jaguar put effort into the body lines that spanned across the length of the car, the "impossible panel" their engineers described, and the proportions they played with to get a longer nose and the smaller window size relative to the rest of the door.

Other than those, the front and rear don't look distinctively Jaguar. And I feel like the interior is a generation too late, the kind of generation where screens used to be perceived as a piece of luxury. Now the luxury trend is moving back towards tactility and analogue material feel
 
Back
Top