2 week review and Winter tire issue

chinesejpl

Cars
Air GT
I am a new GT owner. I am not sure where it would best to post this so I decided to write a review of my thoughts driving this.

Background: I live in Vancouver, BC (the big one, not the one in Washington: :). We used to only get 3 seasons but nowadays I'd say we regularly get 3.5 or 4 as our winter can get down to 0 or occassionaly below. I like cars. I am coming from one of the first Tesla Model X 90D delivered in Canada and have owned it since new. What I loved about the car was the ability for it to be upgraded OTA so I didn't feel the need to change cars as often because Tesla gave me a new car several times over. For that I am gratfeful to them. However, I have found the efficiency/range of my model X left me wanting so I excitedly purchased the Lucid GT. Now my thoughts in no particular order:
  • power is as expected from a high performance electric car. If you've driven a tesla it will feel similar in the real world. There is no real world use case for accelerating to 60mph in 3 sec, at least not in my opinion. My model X got there in 4.4 sec and never once in 6 years that I owned it did I wish I had more acceleration as I only accelerated hard when trying to take over another car or merging onto hwy. I find fast acceleration desirable on a track but why would I want to drive a sedan on a track? I'd prefer to get a track car + a sedan
  • Range is much worse than I expected. I am averaging about 4 km/kwh (that's kms not miles! or 2.5mi/kwh). That's driving very gently with max regen, 50% hwy @ 100-110 km/h with ambient temp about 3-5 degrees celcius, heat on, of course as it's winter here. Minor hills on 19" wheels (aftermarket as my car had 21" with summer tires) + bridgestone Blizaak LM005 winter tires. Range was even worse with the 21" with temp of 10-11 degrees celcius at 3-3.5 km/kwh or 1.9-2.2 mi/kwh. For reference, my 6 year old model X (heavier and bigger car) with 150k kms/95k miles, gets 3.5 km/kwh in the same winter conditions driven 90% city, with 20" wheels and Nokian winter tires. Needless to say I am unhappy. My local service team is taking a look at the car this week to see if there is something wrong
  • Regen is great. So much better than tesla as I can come to a full stop.
  • Interior is far superior to Tesla. $50k superior (i.e. the price difference between the a GT and a model S long range in Canada), no but nonetheless way better. EQS is more luxurious though
  • Software was initially very poor but not with 2.0.33 is much better but still leagues behind what I'm used with Tesla. Alexa is barely useable vs Tesla's was quite good esp with Navi, Navi/Maps is terrible, music navigation needs plenty of work (e.g. why can't I save my favourite stations from Spotify and Tidal and AM and FM to one "hot list" and then choose from there...BMW introduced this years ago when you could save AM and FM stations onto fav buttons without having to change from AM/FM), still quite buggy (won't read text messages no matter how long I wait - even after 5 min!), cameras seem either odd dimensions or low res as my backup camera on my 6yo model X seemed sharper (hopefully this will be fixed with software updates)
  • the car sits really low and it is a bit of a challenge getting in and out of the car as the door openings are that large. I'd say it sits almost as low as my R8, which for me isn't bad but my wife, she likes to get into her cars more laterally (i.e. "regular" sized SUVs not Escalade/Yukon big)
  • ride quality is far superior to Tesla
  • handling is good but I don't drive this car through canyons (none here) so it's not that important to me as a daily driver
  • Quality is what I'd expect from a start up - my car was in the service station with 350km/210 miles on it to address a squeeking rear shelf, which btw is better but still present
  • Sound system is good. I'm a bit of an audiophile (full Wilson Audio in my home theatre) so I care about this. I think I still prefer Burmester in porsches more but it's close
  • Service is great but then again so was Tesla when I first bought, which I worry is more a function of the lack of Lucids in Vancouver at this time
  • OTA experience is similar to Tesla's
  • Overall features I think is subpar for this price point. Today I tried to program my mirrors to tilt down when I reverse and I couldn't do that. I'm not sure if maybe I don't know how to do it? Vanity mirror is pretty pathetic the way it opens and is held open, if it works at all. Homelink operation is so challenging to use that I store a garage door opener in the car
  • Charging is not great, just ok. I purposefully went to 2 different 350kw chargers just to see how fast I could charge my car. 1st time it was 3 degrees outside and I had 18% SOC. I tried to precondition my car but it only took me 8min to get to the charger. Max charging speed 125kwh (this one was only a 200 kwh charger) for 4 min and the last 2 min was 94 kwh. Second experience was 5% SOC, also 3 degrees, preconditioned my car for 15min (which is how long it too me to get to the charger) and max charge was 136kwh for 8 min and didn't increase appreciably throughout.
  • Biggest gripe though is that it is winter here, with snow/ice actually on the road and I cannot safely drive with P-Zero summer tires on the 21" wheels. So I purchased a set with TPMS from Tirerack (after entering my vehicle) and then I find out that in order to change wheels I need a software flash at the service centre, it will take the whole day, and they want to charge me $185 to do it!!! I told them that I thought that was ridiculous and that I'd simply drive with the TPMS sensors fault on my dash as principally, I thought it was wrong to sell me a car with summer tires only and then charge me to change to winter wheels when no other manufacturer I know would do this!
I realize this is a very long review but I wanted to share my experience with a community of owners and potential owners as I think this type of information would have been useful for me to have known before I bought the car! I'm not complaining per se but simply wanted to share a real life take on what 1 person's ownership looks like.

BTW: In BC, the total cost of the GT is just under $300k with taxes (about $296k due to federal and provincial taxes of about 38%) so at that price people are looking at lots of different cars. I've also attached a pic of where my GT lives (the ones that can fit in my garage at least).

I'd love to hear thoughts/experience/advice

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-11-25 at 13.51.34.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-11-25 at 13.51.34.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your insights

Thanks - that was a really useful review. Currently driving a refresh Model S, so reviews like yours are very helpful.

I can’t believe how much more cars are in Canada. I think most things are though compared to US.

Great writeup. Really interesting to see the car height is about the same as the R8. I agree that charging $185 for TPMS programming is ridiculous. I'm going to have to have this done later this month.

Thanks for the details on your experience.

Now for the honest whatever.

The cars that come with Summer tires come with Summer tires.

If you want a set of Winter wheels (I went with the Lucid package) that is on you.

On top of that you went with tires that Lucid didn't say are ok for the car (mostly off topic point, my local store wouldn't even touch those when I asked).

It's pretty normal for a dealership to charge for programming TPMS for a second set of wheels (Lexus did when I had my IS 350 back in 2005).

More to your point, I find wide variation on how dealerships treat minor stuff like this.

With Lucid, the service policies appear to be set centrally.

My Acura dealership (Gen 2 NSX) charges me an hour of labor and shop fees for the twice a year wheel/tire swaps and my Lexus dealership (LC 500 Convertible) owned by the same people as the Acura store refuses to charge me.

I am a new GT owner. I am not sure where it would best to post this so I decided to write a review of my thoughts driving this.

Background: I live in Vancouver, BC (the big one, not the one in Washington: :). We used to only get 3 seasons but nowadays I'd say we regularly get 3.5 or 4 as our winter can get down to 0 or occassionaly below. I like cars. I am coming from one of the first Tesla Model X 90D delivered in Canada and have owned it since new. What I loved about the car was the ability for it to be upgraded OTA so I didn't feel the need to change cars as often because Tesla gave me a new car several times over. For that I am gratfeful to them. However, I have found the efficiency/range of my model X left me wanting so I excitedly purchased the Lucid GT. Now my thoughts in no particular order:
  • power is as expected from a high performance electric car. If you've driven a tesla it will feel similar in the real world. There is no real world use case for accelerating to 60mph in 3 sec, at least not in my opinion. My model X got there in 4.4 sec and never once in 6 years that I owned it did I wish I had more acceleration as I only accelerated hard when trying to take over another car or merging onto hwy. I find fast acceleration desirable on a track but why would I want to drive a sedan on a track? I'd prefer to get a track car + a sedan
  • Range is much worse than I expected. I am averaging about 4 km/kwh (that's kms not miles! or 2.5mi/kwh). That's driving very gently with max regen, 50% hwy @ 100-110 km/h with ambient temp about 3-5 degrees celcius, heat on, of course as it's winter here. Minor hills on 19" wheels (aftermarket as my car had 21" with summer tires) + bridgestone Blizaak LM005 winter tires. Range was even worse with the 21" with temp of 10-11 degrees celcius at 3-3.5 km/kwh or 1.9-2.2 mi/kwh. For reference, my 6 year old model X (heavier and bigger car) with 150k kms/95k miles, gets 3.5 km/kwh in the same winter conditions driven 90% city, with 20" wheels and Nokian winter tires. Needless to say I am unhappy. My local service team is taking a look at the car this week to see if there is something wrong
  • Interior is far superior to Tesla. $50k superior (i.e. the price difference between the a GT and a model S long range in Canada), no but nonetheless way better. EQS is more luxurious though
  • Software was initially very poor but not with 2.0.33 is much better but still leagues behind what I'm used with Tesla. Alexa is barely useable vs Tesla's was quite good esp with Navi, Navi/Maps is terrible, music navigation needs plenty of work (e.g. why can't I save my favourite stations from Spotify and Tidal and AM and FM to one "hot list" and then choose from there...BMW introduced this years ago when you could save AM and FM stations onto fav buttons without having to change from AM/FM), still quite buggy (won't read text messages no matter how long I wait - even after 5 min!), cameras seem either odd dimensions or low res as my backup camera on my 6yo model X seemed sharper (hopefully this will be fixed with software updates)
  • the car sits really low and it is a bit of a challenge getting in and out of the car as the door openings are that large. I'd say it sits almost as low as my R8, which for me isn't bad but my wife, she likes to get into her cars more laterally (i.e. "regular" sized SUVs not Escalade/Yukon big)
  • handling is good but I don't drive this car through canyons (none here) so it's not that important to me as a daily driver
  • Quality is what I'd expect from a start up - my car was in the service station with 350km/210 miles on it to address a squeeking rear shelf, which btw is better but still present
  • Sound system is good. I'm a bit of an audiophile (full Wilson Audio in my home theatre) so I care about this. I think I still prefer Burmester in porsches more but it's close
  • Service is great but then again so was Tesla when I first bought, which I worry is more a function of the lack of Lucids in Vancouver at this time
  • Overall features I think is subpar for this price point. Today I tried to program my mirrors to tilt down when I reverse and I couldn't do that. I'm not sure if maybe I don't know how to do it? Vanity mirror is pretty pathetic the way it opens and is held open, if it works at all. Homelink operation is so challenging to use that I store a garage door opener in the car
  • Charging is not great, just ok. I purposefully went to 2 different 350kw chargers just to see how fast I could charge my car. 1st time it was 3 degrees outside and I had 18% SOC. I tried to precondition my car but it only took me 8min to get to the charger. Max charging speed 125kwh (this one was only a 200 kwh charger) for 4 min and the last 2 min was 94 kwh. Second experience was 5% SOC, also 3 degrees, preconditioned my car for 15min (which is how long it too me to get to the charger) and max charge was 136kwh for 8 min and didn't increase appreciably throughout.
  • Biggest gripe though is that it is winter here, with snow/ice actually on the road and I cannot safely drive with P-Zero summer tires on the 21" wheels. So I purchased a set with TPMS from Tirerack (after entering my vehicle) and then I find out that in order to change wheels I need a software flash at the service centre, it will take the whole day, and they want to charge me $185 to do it!!! I told them that I thought that was ridiculous and that I'd simply drive with the TPMS sensors fault on my dash as principally, I thought it was wrong to sell me a car with summer tires only and then charge me to change to winter wheels when no other manufacturer I know would do this!
I realize this is a very long review but I wanted to share my experience with a community of owners and potential owners as I think this type of information would have been useful for me to have known before I bought the car! I'm not complaining per se but simply wanted to share a real life take on what 1 person's ownership looks like.

BTW: In BC, the total cost of the GT is just under $300k with taxes (about $296k due to federal and provincial taxes of about 38%) so at that price people are looking at lots of different cars. I've also attached a pic of where my GT lives (the ones that can fit in my garage at least).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I have found that when people say not so great things about the Lucid, that a whack down typically follows from those who are so passionate about Lucid. If that follows, just have a thick skin as they are just offering their perceptions and we all have difference views of the same features. Not everyone, mind you, but this forum does have its fair share of "fanboys", which is a shame because you are just sharing your personal thoughts and observations. With that said, this forum is a treasure of useful information thanks to its members.
I agree with your thoughts regarding range. However, before the remarkably early cold weather set in (I live in Blaine, WA just about 25 miles south of you) I was getting 4.1 mi/kWh during an "ideal" test drive of about 90 miles. That's miles, not km. Typical driving here yielded about 3.5 to 3.9 mi/kWh. Now, with temps in the 20s and low 30s (Brrrrr, I am not used to this temp so early in the wintery months) I am getting 2.9 to 3.1 mi/kWh. Cold temps seem to have a very significant impact on mileage efficiency. WIth all that said, I am passionately in love with this car and just enjoy driving it so much that I now do all of my wife's errands just to get out and drive it. It is a "drivers" car and it is really three cars in one with the three driving settings available.

My experience with range in cold weather, 26 degrees F, is about the same.

If you want a set of Winter wheels (I went with the Lucid package) that is on you.

On top of that you went with tires that Lucid didn't say are ok for the car (mostly off topic point, my local store wouldn't even touch those when I asked).

It's pretty normal for a dealership to charge for programming TPMS for a second set of wheels (Lexus did when I had my IS 350 back in 2005).

More to your point, I find wide variation on how dealerships treat minor stuff like this.

My Acura dealership (Gen 2 NSX) charges me an hour of labor and shop fees for the twice a year wheel/tire swaps and my Lexus dealership (LC 500 Convertible) owned by the same people as the Acura store refuses to charge me.
I disagree. BMW, Porsche etc. all offer the option of ordering All Season or Summer tires when ordering their cars.

A lot of owners do not want to order the 19 inch wheels because many feel they do not look as good as the 20's or 21's. In addition, you give up some cornering ability and braking distance with the smaller wheel/tire combination.

I also feel at this price point, Lucid should have given their supplier instructions to design both summer and all season tires for the standard wheels that come with the Dream and GT's, or ordering with the Touring and Pure.

Too many owners live in climates where winter precludes driving the summer tires. And charging $185 to adjust the TPMS(2x per year) when you have no choice because you can't drive in the winter seems wrong to me.

I disagree. BMW, Porsche etc. all offer the option of ordering All Season or Summer tires when ordering their cars.

A lot of owners do not want to order the 19 inch wheels because many feel they do not look as good as the 20's or 21's. In addition, you give up some cornering ability and braking distance with the smaller wheel/tire combination.

I also feel at this price point, Lucid should have given their supplier instructions to design both summer and all season tires for the standard wheels that come with the Dream and GT's, or ordering with the Touring and Pure.

Too many owners live in climates where winter precludes driving the summer tires. And charging $185 to adjust the TPMS(2x per year) when you have no choice because you can't drive in the winter seems wrong to me.
I think this will come. I chalk it up to California company not thinking too much about all-season in general. Which is no excuse. But "giving their supplier instructions" is not so easy when you have 0 cars on the road, which is when they would have had to convince Pirelli to design all-seasons for the other sizes in order to be ready now. I think now that they are shipping more cars, they hopefully have lit that fire under some manufacturers to get this done.

BMW and Porsche are well established entities, hard to put Lucid in the same category in 2022.

We are talking about a company that struggled to get the first batch out the door (DE) and then to get enough logistics in place to get the GT and GT-P cars produced in any volume. For my GT-P I wasn't able to order 19 inch wheels period (you can for a GT).

To be direct, going with the 21 inch winter tires, considering the short sidewalls in places like Chicago is not money well spent. When my car was delivered, they didn't even have the 20 inch wheel shipping so not an option then. I agree they should get a winter tire selected for the 20s. I also believe the take rate for winter wheels and tires may be limited. Many folks are fine with all seasons and call it a day.

I believe the TPMS charge would be one time. The 2 times a year charge would be for the wheel swaps. I actually like having my higher power cars in front of a technician a couple of times a year to see if something is going on. Small change cost relative to these six figure cars. Our OP shared that for the nice, friendly folks in Canada, it cost around $300K to enjoy this car. Is it really worth saving $185 to have to stare at the stupid warning light on the dash half the year?

I don't particularly like the design of the 19s myself. I went with them because the local facility told me they would not touch anything non factory specified (clearly other service centers are handling it differently, in my work world I refer to this as Geppetto's workshop, many people doing the same job, none of them doing it the same way) and it's Chicago and we will have winter. At least Lucid created one Winter set up and made it easy to buy directly. They even brought my Summer wheels to my home for storage and left me some really nice towels to keep them separated (no charge). For my Gen 2 NSX and my LC 500 Convertible I was on my own to figure out winter wheel and tire set ups, and we are talking about Auto powerhouses Honda and Toyota.

I think this will come. I chalk it up to California company not thinking too much about all-season in general. Which is no excuse. But "giving their supplier instructions" is not so easy when you have 0 cars on the road, which is when they would have had to convince Pirelli to design all-seasons for the other sizes in order to be ready now. I think now that they are shipping more cars, they hopefully have lit that fire under some manufacturers to get this done.
They must have done cold and snow testing?

So, can we assume that Lucid has tested snow tires and has a recommendation??
Yes. The Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3. Only available for the the 19-inch rims. I believe these were developed in partnership with Lucid.

Interesting. Are you saying that you are charged just for "calibrating" your TPMS everytime you swap from summer to winters or does this include the labour for swapping the wheels? I change my wheels myself, mostly out of convenience as I can do it anytime rather than leaving it with dealership. Prior to lucid, I've been able to change wheels and have each set of TPMS sync for Tesla, Porsche (cayenne, 911) and BMWs. I've found that so long as you purchase the correct TPMS (i.e. the same one that the factory uses as they don't make their own TPMS hardware), that the sensors usually just pick up the new TPMS, although I think my BMW needed an initial "initialization" but then subsequent swaps were automatically detected.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I have found that when people say not so great things about the Lucid, that a whack down typically follows from those who are so passionate about Lucid. If that follows, just have a thick skin as they are just offering their perceptions and we all have difference views of the same features. Not everyone, mind you, but this forum does have its fair share of "fanboys", which is a shame because you are just sharing your personal thoughts and observations. With that said, this forum is a treasure of useful information thanks to its members.
I agree with your thoughts regarding range. However, before the remarkably early cold weather set in (I live in Blaine, WA just about 25 miles south of you) I was getting 4.1 mi/kWh during an "ideal" test drive of about 90 miles. That's miles, not km. Typical driving here yielded about 3.5 to 3.9 mi/kWh. Now, with temps in the 20s and low 30s (Brrrrr, I am not used to this temp so early in the wintery months) I am getting 2.9 to 3.1 mi/kWh. Cold temps seem to have a very significant impact on mileage efficiency. WIth all that said, I am passionately in love with this car and just enjoy driving it so much that I now do all of my wife's errands just to get out and drive it. It is a "drivers" car and it is really three cars in one with the three driving settings available.
Thanks for sharing this info. You being in Blaine means that I should expect to get similar efficiency as you. 3mi/kWh translates into 4.8 km/kWh, which is still higher than I am getting, which is why I am getting my service centre to take a look at things to make sure my car isn't having some sort of issue. 4.1mi/kWh (or 6.5 km/kWh) would be exciting and certainly gives me something to look forward to or aim for.

Back