16-yr-old son trapped in back seat

Well dang it now we all have to lock our spouses in the car and test this. I’m 100% serious too I want to know!
Man if my wife starts calling me expletives because she can't get out of the back seats, I'd be sorely tempted to let her cool off for a few minutes before unlocking the doors ...🤣🤣🤣
 
ok my son was unavailable so I tested this with my wife. In the back seats she was unable to open either the left or right doors with the car locked and off. I told her to make sure she was pulling the handle hard enough. She started calling me a variety of expletives and yelling at me to let her out of this thing. In the front seats she was able to open the doors but the alarm went off. Child locks are disabled in settings.
I would actually have service check this out, the rear door handle second detente where you pull harder to open in the event of being stuck in a locked vehicle should behave the same as the front doors.
 
And you have been divorced for how long?
YARN | Think it'll strengthen the relationship or something. | The  Incredibles (2004) | Video gifs by quotes | 0fd4d0c1 | 紗
lol.
 
As others have said, the doors should absolutely have opened with the car locked and child safety locks off. If you yourself can’t get them open in this case, have service take a look. It’s possible your car thinks child safety locks are on or something. Or your latches are just broken and only work electronically.

Either way, it’s not normal.
 
Ok I tried this for a 2nd time with my wife yesterday. She finally pulled hard enough that the rear door opened and the alarm went off. Her words: "I had to pull extremely hard. If it was a 4-yr-old back here, and the car was on fire, they'd be dead."
 
Ok I tried this for a 2nd time with my wife yesterday. She finally pulled hard enough that the rear door opened and the alarm went off. Her words: "I had to pull extremely hard. If it was a 4-yr-old back here, and the car was on fire, they'd be dead."
Congratulations! In an emergency, humans can reflexively have superhuman strength. Passengers just need to practice where to direct that superhuman power at.

I agree that pulling rearward might be problematic for a toddler. If designed as pulling inward toward the center of the car, kids could reflexively use 2 hands together.
 
I've been meaning to start a thread on this but for the Gravity. I have an 8 year old who was unable to get out of the car because it locked almost instantly.

I couldn't believe my eyes and thought he was doing something wrong so I tested it out myself. I couldn't unlock the car either. And then I read the manual that you have to pull harder for the manual release and still couldn't do it. Eventually, after yanking it really really hard and pushing it up and down all over the place, it unlocked and set off the alarm.

The two front doors don't have this problem and open instantly as expected (and still set off the alarm).

This is a very serious safety issue in my opinion:
- the child locks are off so why are the rear doors behaving differently from the front doors?
- the emergency release is extremely hard to activate, pretty much impossible for anyone but an adult, at least in my Gravity, but also apparently in (some?) Airs as described above.
- the car locks way too fast and even though it knows there are people inside, it still doesn't let them out easily. In contrast, my Teslas let passengers get out from the front or the back the same normal way, without requiring an emergency release. And, in fact, the alarm doesn't trigger for a little while even after the car locks because it's just a common sense thing to do as it knows there are passengers still inside.

Once we get home, I frequently let the kids finish doing whatever they're doing in the car, so I leave the car and go inside. The Teslas are smart enough for this to never be an issue unless they remain in the car for longer than like 5-10 minutes in which case they can still easily get out but it sets off the alarm.

Lucid's approach to lock instantly and make leaving rear seats much harder than front makes no sense. They need to change this behavior in an OTA IMO.
 
I've been meaning to start a thread on this but for the Gravity. I have an 8 year old who was unable to get out of the car because it locked almost instantly.

I couldn't believe my eyes and thought he was doing something wrong so I tested it out myself. I couldn't unlock the car either. And then I read the manual that you have to pull harder for the manual release and still couldn't do it. Eventually, after yanking it really really hard and pushing it up and down all over the place, it unlocked and set off the alarm.

The two front doors don't have this problem and open instantly as expected (and still set off the alarm).

This is a very serious safety issue in my opinion:
- the child locks are off so why are the rear doors behaving differently from the front doors?
- the emergency release is extremely hard to activate, pretty much impossible for anyone but an adult, at least in my Gravity, but also apparently in (some?) Airs as described above.
- the car locks way too fast and even though it knows there are people inside, it still doesn't let them out easily. In contrast, my Teslas let passengers get out from the front or the back the same normal way, without requiring an emergency release. And, in fact, the alarm doesn't trigger for a little while even after the car locks because it's just a common sense thing to do as it knows there are passengers still inside.

Once we get home, I frequently let the kids finish doing whatever they're doing in the car, so I leave the car and go inside. The Teslas are smart enough for this to never be an issue unless they remain in the car for longer than like 5-10 minutes in which case they can still easily get out but it sets off the alarm.

Lucid's approach to lock instantly and make leaving rear seats much harder than front makes no sense. They need to change this behavior in an OTA IMO.

In the meantime, disabling passive lock/unlock to prevent automatically locking kids in the car. That is an inconvenience when losing that feature but you can manually control when you want to lock the car.

I'm not familiar with Gravity so I have no idea that it requires much more strength to manually pull the door latch open.
 
For my car, the back door doesn't open from inside even pull full for machinal lock if phone key is taken away and car passive locks.
However the power window can still be operated from inside.
2.7.1.
 
Just tested our '22 Air GT... got in back, turned off phone BT, doors immediately locked as the car shut down... waited a bit & pulled back on the door handle & the shock & tilt alarm went off as the door opened... no problems in the test, all seemed to work as I'd expect.
 
For my car, the back door doesn't open from inside even pull full for machinal lock if phone key is taken away and car passive locks.
However the power window can still be operated from inside.
2.7.1.
I would have it serviced as it's a safety issue.
 
View attachment 34574

Will get it checked, looks like I am not alone.
No doubt. Rearward pulling design with limited elbow room might condition a user to give up pulling beyond the normal electronic position to reach the mechanical system.

If a user now has the knowledge to do a manual mechanical opening but still can't do it, it's service time.
 
child lock is on

p 20

"Note: To prevent children from using the interior handles to open the rear doors, see Child Safety Locks.
Rear doors will not open when child locks are engaged."
 
child lock is on

p 20

"Note: To prevent children from using the interior handles to open the rear doors, see Child Safety Locks.
Rear doors will not open when child locks are engaged."
It's been addressed numerous times before, but child lock has nothing to do with it. This happens without the child lock activated.
 
It's been addressed numerous times before, but child lock has nothing to do with it. This happens without the child lock activated.
That is news to me. Sorry if I assumed otherwise. I often ridden in the back seats and have had occasion to force the door release open with the mechanical pull, witch takes much effort and pull beyond what is expected.
With the child lock on it is not possible. Just saying ... your 16-year-old may have given up before the release point.
Once it stops you need to go more.

You have made a good post. This is exactly the point of this site.
 
Back
Top