radar/laser counter measures

the stinger is probably on a different part of the spectrum than the ALP, I have all the hardware for the alp system and it appears to be incompatible with the lucid lidar.
I am glad that your system works well for you
Right, I’m not arguing! Just trying to be helpful.

Can you share pics of the installed sensors/emitters? I wonder if it’s reflection related.

how does that work and how did it save you from the ticket?
Basically, a detector detects lasers shot at it. That’s where Valentine and other windshield-mounted LiDAR detectors end. The usefulness of this is pretty nil, because by the time you’re detecting it you’ve already been tagged and the lights are on. So it’s basically like the titanic’s warning system of “oh no, you’re fucked”

Stinger, ALP, and others, also sell laser jammers. While jamming radar is a big big big no-no federal felony everywhere in the US, jamming lidar is state-dependent. In some states, it’s completely legal. In others, like CA, it’s legal to own but not use; other caveats, like having fewer than four sensors is a misdemeanor, and four or more is a felony, also exist. There are whole pages on the internet dedicated to explaining these various state laws.

In CA, radar detectors are totally legal. Laser detectors are too. Laser jammers are not, but subject to the “four or more” thing above, it’s a small misdemeanor with a fine and a “fix it” ticket, generally. But the thing is they’d have to prove you had it and that it was on.

So now given that context, we can answer your question. When a cop shoots a lidar gun, unlike radar, it needs line of sight. They will usually aim for a front plate, because it’s a flat reflective surface, or headlights. Well, I don’t have a front plate and the Lucid doesn’t *really* have headlights; finding a flat surface to reflect back perfectly is hard from a distance.

So when the gun doesn’t have good line of sight, it throws an error. This is fairly common, so the officer will just shoot again and again until they get a speed rather than an error.

The laser jammers have an adjustable amount of time that they’ll jam for. So if you set it for six seconds, it will jam the gun for six seconds by sending back a ton of garbage, which to the officer just looks like they aimed poorly. So when the detectors detect a LiDAR pulse, they will jam the response instantly and alert you to slow down in your set amount of time. After the six seconds, it will turn off the jammers and let the cop read your speed, which is now fine.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk :)

[edit] Even if the cop is suspicious, they’d also have to prove not only that you have it installed, but that it was *turned on* at the time. Most radar/laser detectors like this have a quick “erase me completely” button for this reason, and it’s why I got the Stinger system with fiber heads over some of the other larger heads; I wanted it to be as undetectable from stock as possible.

Can you share pics of the installed sensors/emitters? I wonder if it’s reflection related.
Like I mentioned earlier, the ALP in incompatible with the lucid because both Lidars operate on the same slice of the spectrum. I don't think reflection has anything to do with it. FWIW the rear sensor operated just fine.

Basically, a detector detects lasers shot at it. That’s where Valentine and other windshield-mounted LiDAR detectors end. The usefulness of this is pretty nil, because by the time you’re detecting it you’ve already been tagged and the lights are on. So it’s basically like the titanic’s warning system of “oh no, you’re fucked”

Stinger, ALP, and others, also sell laser jammers. While jamming radar is a big big big no-no federal felony everywhere in the US, jamming lidar is state-dependent. In some states, it’s completely legal. In others, like CA, it’s legal to own but not use; other caveats, like having fewer than four sensors is a misdemeanor, and four or more is a felony, also exist. There are whole pages on the internet dedicated to explaining these various state laws.

In CA, radar detectors are totally legal. Laser detectors are too. Laser jammers are not, but subject to the “four or more” thing above, it’s a small misdemeanor with a fine and a “fix it” ticket, generally. But the thing is they’d have to prove you had it and that it was on.

So now given that context, we can answer your question. When a cop shoots a lidar gun, unlike radar, it needs line of sight. They will usually aim for a front plate, because it’s a flat reflective surface, or headlights. Well, I don’t have a front plate and the Lucid doesn’t *really* have headlights; finding a flat surface to reflect back perfectly is hard from a distance.

So when the gun doesn’t have good line of sight, it throws an error. This is fairly common, so the officer will just shoot again and again until they get a speed rather than an error.

The laser jammers have an adjustable amount of time that they’ll jam for. So if you set it for six seconds, it will jam the gun for six seconds by sending back a ton of garbage, which to the officer just looks like they aimed poorly. So when the detectors detect a LiDAR pulse, they will jam the response instantly and alert you to slow down in your set amount of time. After the six seconds, it will turn off the jammers and let the cop read your speed, which is now fine.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk :)

[edit] Even if the cop is suspicious, they’d also have to prove not only that you have it installed, but that it was *turned on* at the time. Most radar/laser detectors like this have a quick “erase me completely” button for this reason, and it’s why I got the Stinger system with fiber heads over some of the other larger heads; I wanted it to be as undetectable from stock as possible.
Totally agree; that's why I'm not overly concerned that I turned off the laser detect function. However, some people claim the Valentine can pick up laser "reflections" when they target a car in front of you, but I'm doubtful how useful even that would be assuming it actually works.

Totally agree; that's why I'm not overly concerned that I turned off the laser detect function. However, some people claim the Valentine can pick up laser "reflections" when they target a car in front of you, but I'm doubtful how useful even that would be assuming it actually works.
if you understand the machinations of how a cop hits you with laser/lidar you'd understand the fallacy of the effectiveness of valentine or other lidar detectors.

Like I mentioned earlier, the ALP in incompatible with the lucid because both Lidars operate on the same slice of the spectrum. I don't think reflection has anything to do with it. FWIW the rear sensor operated just fine.
There is no interferance because its the same slice of spectrum. Not sure who came up with that. NO LASER JAMMER will work 100% in the Lucid. The Lucid Laser Sensor is too powerful and if you look at an IR Video you would be amazed at the output of the Lucid Laser Sensor and thar sensor blinds the receive capability of laser jammer sensors. The ALP is the only system that when it see's interferance it will not allow it to boot and give you a false sense of security like the other systems that will boot and not alert to the interferance but wont jam properly. .

There is no interferance because it’s the same slice of spectrum. Not sure who came up with that. NO LASER JAMMER will work 100% in the Lucid. The Lucid Laser Sensor is too powerful and if you look at an IR Video you would be amazed at the output of the Lucid Laser Sensor and thar sensor blinds the receive capability of laser jammer sensors. The ALP is the only system that when it see's interferance it will not allow it to boot and give you a false sense of security like the other systems that will boot and not alert to the interferance but wont jam properly. .
Whether you believe me or not, the Stinger has saved me from multiple tickets. The detection and jamming on my Stinger works great.

Whether you believe me or not, the Stinger has saved me from multiple tickets. The detection and jamming on my Stinger works great.
You got lucky or got hit with standard pulse rate laser gun You will not successfully jam any newer Variable Pulse Rate Laser gun in the Lucid. The Lucid Laser sensor will make it impossible for any Jammer to monitor incoming laser pulses with all the high laser pulses it emits. If you are the only vehicle on the road and there are zero overhead signs or any signs on the side of the road or no guard rails you might have a chance but in normal driving the laser reflection from the Lucid against signs and other vehicles on the road make it impossible for laser jammers to sync properly against any VRP laser gun.

You got lucky or got hit with standard pulse rate laser gun You will not successfully jam any newer Variable Pulse Rate Laser gun in the Lucid. The Lucid Laser sensor will make it impossible for any Jammer to monitor incoming laser pulses with all the high laser pulses it emits. If you are the only vehicle on the road and there are zero overhead signs or any signs on the side of the road or no guard rails you might have a chance but in normal driving the laser reflection from the Lucid against signs and other vehicles on the road make it impossible for laser jammers to sync properly against any VRP laser gun.
Now I have to find a cop friend to test it lol

fwiw, this is what the Lidar from the Lucid looks like with night vision

Attachments

• lucid.gif
    lucid.gif
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
Back