J1772 emulation for V2L?

Spin Doctor

Verified Owner
Cars
'22 AGT, '93 968
Referral Code
NM5ZS2NA
Idly pondering the lack of V2L, I went down the rabbit hole of what it would take and why we don't have it yet.

As some of you know, I've tried the Lucid V2V 'RangeXchange' cable with a third-party J1772-to-NEMA adapter off of Amazon but it didn't work. And nor would it - it's a 'dumb' adapter that doesn't pretend to be an EV. So then I started reading up on the J1772 standard and what it would take to emulate a second EV on the end of the RangeXChange adapter. Turns out it wouldn't take much, and a couple of people have already done most of the work.

Here's one example:

And here's another:

Both are probably more than we need, but with a bit of nifty soldering one should be able to piggyback an 'EV emulator' like those above onto an adapter like this one, in order to convince the RangeXChange that there's an EV on the other end and thus to turn on the power.

Theoretically, of course. I'm reasonably handy with a soldering iron but, given the warranty issues and general potential for death by electrocution, I'm unlikely to try this. But it doesn't seem overly complicated.

Paging @segbrk since this seems up his alley and I’m out of town

Gentlemen,
What a small price voiding your warranty and electrocution (or even burning down your house) seem in comparison to the awe and admiration of your fellow forum members for solving this V2H problem??!! 👏

Idly pondering the lack of V2L, I went down the rabbit hole of what it would take and why we don't have it yet.

As some of you know, I've tried the Lucid V2V 'RangeXchange' cable with a third-party J1772-to-NEMA adapter off of Amazon but it didn't work. And nor would it - it's a 'dumb' adapter that doesn't pretend to be an EV. So then I started reading up on the J1772 standard and what it would take to emulate a second EV on the end of the RangeXChange adapter. Turns out it wouldn't take much, and a couple of people have already done most of the work.

Here's one example:

And here's another:

Both are probably more than we need, but with a bit of nifty soldering one should be able to piggyback an 'EV emulator' like those above onto an adapter like this one, in order to convince the RangeXChange that there's an EV on the other end and thus to turn on the power.
This should work great, though the Air will provide 240VAC without the neutral connection needed to gain access to two 120V legs. To have a normal 120VAC split phase output including neutral, you'd need to add a suitable autotransformer such as is used on inverters in solar PV installation.

However, I'm not trying it on my own car.

Back