Highway Assist Lane Centering

Although its a Lane centering thread, but some of the discussion has been on ACC. I also find it inconvenient to increase/decrease the set speed limit on the rocker in my Lucid.

My 2 previous 5-series - a 2005 and a 2018 had more intuitive and easy approach to allow increments of 5mph after initializing cruise control. They had similar concept as my Lucid (DD standard). One touch/button/roll for increment/decrement by 1mph or push stalk/full roll for 5mph increment and decrements. After driving almost 4-5 long 5000mi cross-country trips on these cars I found this feature to be the most useful when there are changes in speed limits, non-interstate highways going through town, etc. I may be the only one here to use ACC on city roads and find myself using step increments in almost every time I am on road. Also, works as an alternative to slow down (defensive driving condition) without engaging feet.

With Lucid, the rocker need more force than I expected when I first test drove. For small less frequent taps it doesnt bother me but if I want to make large increments (cruise speed/volume) taping it continuously gives a lot of stress on thumbs for me which I have not experienced in other cars I have owned or test driven.

The +/- 5 mph increment feature in Lucid is similar to others however, its take a lot of time to get used to. I always end up going +/- 10 instead of 5 because it always overshoots. I think if there is a quicker engage of step increment but delay between the steps, it will be more intuitive and easy to get used to. It feels like a small difference between expectation and execution - more about fine tuning the UX/HMI vs innovation.

The +/- 5 mph increment feature in Lucid is similar to others however, its take a lot of time to get used to. I always end up going +/- 10 instead of 5 because it always overshoots.
The +/- 5mph feature is the one of the least thought out features of the rocket switch, which really should have 2 detents. It’s based on time: you need to hold it about 2 seconds for the initial 5mph change. After that, it’s anyone’s guess. The worst part is that you need to look down at the center screen to make sure it has engaged. This is dangerous and forces you to take your eyes off the road.

Aside from having 2 detents, there are software solutions that would make it more useful: like haptic or audio feedback to let you know that the speed has changed by 5mph.

Also, it’s hard to play with it while stationary to get a good feel to train yourself.

My understanding is that those two rockers were supposed to feel very different from how they turned out. The feel was supposed to be much closer to the center volume switch, which has a smooth tactile click as you turn.

Sometimes in manufacturing, you design something one way, and the manufacturer produces something quite different. In most cases, you reject the returned product as out of spec.

I don't think Lucid was in a position, being a small startup in the middle of a pandemic, to hold up shipping cars over this particular part. Sucks, but sometimes that's how it goes.

There's a reason the wheel of Gravity is designed quite differently. And not just in overall shape.

Back