Autocar UK: BMW iX vs. Mercedes EQS

Dortreo

Verified Owner
Cars
AGT
Very nicely written article comparing two disparate cars. However, I believe many forum members, including myself, have considered these instead of the Lucid Air. Going through the pros and cons of each car, you realize why the Lucid Air, once the bugs are worked out, is far better than either of them. Plus, it’s always refreshing to read reviews In British English.

Mercedes-Benz EQS vs BMW iX: which is the best luxury EV?

Very nicely written article comparing two disparate cars. However, I believe many forum members, including myself, have considered these instead of the Lucid Air. Going through the pros and cons of each car, you realize why the Lucid Air, once the bugs are worked out, is far better than either of them. Plus, it’s always refreshing to read reviews In British English.

Mercedes-Benz EQS vs BMW iX: which is the best luxury EV?
A good comparison. One of the reasons I reserved a Pure is I want to give Lucid time to work out the gremlins. Long time manufacturers like BMW and Mercedes have worked out how to deliver many of the software driven features (adaptive cruise control, headup display, etc.) that Lucid is now struggling with.

But if it can work these out, for me the Pure looks like a great purchase. I am inclined to think that 480 HP is adequate for me (I don't race the car) and since Lucid will be making the Pure last, it gives Lucid time to resolve these issues. If not, the IX looks very good (except for the grille which I can mitigate by getting a blacked out vehicle and the wide, tall and flat front make it less unattractive) and there could be many other choices by then as well.

I must say reading the article I didn't come away with Dortreo's conclusion. I think the new BMW EVs offer a serious challenge to Lucid for most things other than range. Range is Lucid's killer feature. In terms of useful tech, comfort, ride quality, noise isolation & assembly quality, I think the BMWs hold up very very well to the Lucid and exceed it in certain areas. It's really a question of what you're looking for. For some the BMW's range is enough, for others it won't cut it.

I am still struggling between BMW & Lucid as I have both reserved. It's gotten to the point where I'm almost of the feeling that which ever one comes in first is what I'll wind up with. At my age impatience is becoming my dominant character trait.

The bottom line is that it's great that we finally have some superior choices to the once nearly lone choice, Tesla.

A good comparison. One of the reasons I reserved a Pure is I want to give Lucid time to work out the gremlins. Long time manufacturers like BMW and Mercedes have worked out how to deliver many of the software driven features (adaptive cruise control, headup display, etc.) that Lucid is now struggling with.

But if it can work these out, for me the Pure looks like a great purchase. I am inclined to think that 480 HP is adequate for me (I don't race the car) and since Lucid will be making the Pure last, it gives Lucid time to resolve these issues. If not, the IX looks very good (except for the grille which I can mitigate by getting a blacked out vehicle and the wide, tall and flat front make it less unattractive) and there could be many other choices by then as well.
I do own DEP #180 since last December. Last week I placed an order for the Pure. After owning EVs for the last 9 years I am convinced the range anxiety is substantially reduced as more and more high-power DC chargers are added. Add the torque available on any large or small EV and the acceleration is more than enough 95% of the time. The Pure looks like a sure winner. It retains the looks, better driving dynamics (less mass), and enough charging stations to make the reduced range irrelevant.

My take was that the increased range of the EQS almost made up for the superior interior and driving dynamics of the iX. But it didn’t because day to day experience (and minimization of exposure to Asian club aesthetics) matters. (By the way, if you want to see what I mean by Asian club aesthetics, watch the club scene in Collateral with Tom Cruise.)

I think the Lucid driving dynamics and interior are at least as good as the iX. And the range is almost double. So, yeah, it’s a better choice if the software gremlins can be worked out. And there are still some usability issues that would never be seen in a Mercedes or a BMW.

But overall I don’t regret giving up my iX slot for the Lucid. Except when I read the software threads here.

I do own DEP #180 since last December. Last week I placed an order for the Pure. After owning EVs for the last 9 years I am convinced the range anxiety is substantially reduced as more and more high-power DC chargers are added. Add the torque available on any large or small EV and the acceleration is more than enough 95% of the time. The Pure looks like a sure winner. It retains the looks, better driving dynamics (less mass), and enough charging stations to make the reduced range irrelevant.
Are you going to keep the Pure and the DE or sell the DE when your pure becomes available

Back