Windshield wiper system auto function not sensitive

JayS

Cars
Lucid Air touring
The rain sensor sensitivity is too low, and my windshield fills with droplets to the point that the view becomes of skewered before the wiper system will kick on when it is set in automatic mode you can manually turn the wiper on to lower high, but you cannot manually set it to any intermittent frequency there needs to be an intermittent wiper setting that you can manually start and the rain sensor needs to kick in much earlier. I have attached a photo of the windshield to show the extent of rain that can accumulate before the wiper starts to run. Of course you can manually push the button into wipe the rain droplets but that sort of defeats the purpose of the automatic setting is everyone experiencing this?

Attachments

• IMG_1279.jpeg
    IMG_1279.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1280.jpeg
    IMG_1280.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 93
If you search this forum you'll find a number of complaints about rain sensor sensitivity, and a number of responses saying it works just fine. I'm in the latter camp. Perhaps you can contact customer service and ask what you or they can do to improve your experience.

Most of the time mine seems to react as I would hope but it occasionally doesn't. While I know it isn't an ideal solution, a quick press of the button on the end of the left stalk will clear the windshield with a quick swipe of the wipers. Sometimes after doing that once the sensors seem to respond better too.

I have had the same problem, but I've noticed that the sensitivity seems inconsistent. Most of the time, it lets too much rain accumulate, but then it will start wiping more often for a little while, before going back to too delayed.

I just wanted to chime in that I agree with the OP. I have had the same exact experience. There needs to be a way to adjust the frequency of the "on all the time" setting OR the "auto setting" needs to work properly and it doesn't.

I just wanted to chime in that I agree with the OP. I have had the same exact experience. There needs to be a way to adjust the frequency of the "on all the time" setting OR the "auto setting" needs to work properly and it doesn't.
This has been on the wishlist for a long time. This list can be found at www.lucidupdates.com.

This has been on the wishlist for a long time. This list can be found at www.lucidupdates.com.
It has been said many times on the forum but bears repeating: Bobby's efforts to compile (and disseminate!) wisdom about the car are simply amazing. Thanks.
Do you know if Lucid has your curated wish list tacked up on their "master to-do list"? Would be fun (and might inspire confidence in prospective buyers!) to see them knocking those items out in some public way.

It has been said many times on the forum but bears repeating: Bobby's efforts to compile (and disseminate!) wisdom about the car are simply amazing. Thanks.
Do you know if Lucid has your curated wish list tacked up on their "master to-do list"? Would be fun (and might inspire confidence in prospective buyers!) to see them knocking those items out in some public way.
Brings up a good point. I have discussed with folks from Lucid the entire wish list and bug list. I have told them that as the electric vehicle landscape changes, Lucid needs to differentiate themselves more than they already have. I've suggested that they consider a new OTA program called "feature of the month." In such a program, they would knock off the features on the list one by one at cadence of one item per month. It would benefit us all and they could create an advertising campaign around it. The timing on this is actually slower than their current OTA release cycle.

Thanks Bobby.

There are really 2 items/issues here:
1. The auto setting doesn't work properly. That's actually a bug
2. Only 2 "steady" settings for wipers and no way to adjust their frequency. The slower setting is too much for many light rain situations. I guess that would be a wish list item..

Disappointed with the progress on software. if I look at the last 3 update there is nothing there. Maybe one adjustment per revision or one bug fixed. What does "improving the robustness and general functionality of the vehicle" mean? minor updates and enhancements? improving the robustness? Compare this to what Tesla identifies in their software updates and Lucid should follow suit. Would like to see a list and timetable from Lucid when identified bugs and suggestions will be implemented.

2.1.20 - 9/7/2023 (8)

UPDATES, PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS & OPTIMIZATIONS
We've made improvements to the corner radars in your Lucid Air.
2.1.18 - 8/30/2023 (37)

With this update, we are improving the robustness and general functionality of the vehicle.
•Navigation Improvement: Spotify resumes playback after navigation turn by turn audio
•We're also making other minor updates and enhancements to your infotainment experience.
2.1.15 - 8/15/2023 (some vehicles only, not counted in "since last update" statistic)

With this update, we are improving the robustness and general functionality of the vehicle.
2.1.10 - 7/24/2023 (12)

Disappointed with the progress on software. if I look at the last 3 update there is nothing there. Maybe one adjustment per revision or one bug fixed. What does "improving the robustness and general functionality of the vehicle" mean? minor updates and enhancements? improving the robustness? Compare this to what Tesla identifies in their software updates and Lucid should follow suit. Would like to see a list and timetable from Lucid when identified bugs and suggestions will be implemented.

2.1.20 - 9/7/2023 (8)

We've made improvements to the corner radars in your Lucid Air.
2.1.18 - 8/30/2023 (37)

•Navigation Improvement: Spotify resumes playback after navigation turn by turn audio
•We're also making other minor updates and enhancements to your infotainment experience.
2.1.15 - 8/15/2023 (some vehicles only, not counted in "since last update" statistic)

2.1.10 - 7/24/2023 (12)

Those of us who have been around for a while are not disappointed at all. The software has made great strides over the past year. It will continue to mature over time as the company grows and after the Gravity introduction is complete. Much info about this can be found at www.lucidupdates.com, where I have compiled a wish list for software improvements and bugs based on this forum and literally over 1,000,000 miles of combined driving experience.

Tesla has a 10 year head start on software. Not really a fair comparison.

There is no way they will release a roadmap or a list of future enhancements/improvements because it would create even more complaining if they miss a deadline. Go out and take a drive. Forget about the software and enjoy the car.

Those of us who have been around for a while are not disappointed at all. The software has made great strides over the past year. It will continue to mature over time as the company grows and after the Gravity introduction is complete. Much info about this can be found at www.lucidupdates.com, where I have compiled a wish list for software improvements and bugs based on this form and literally over 1,000,000 miles of combined driving experience.

Tesla has a 10 year head start on software. Not really a fair comparison.

There is no way they will release a roadmap or a list of future enhancements/improvements because it would create even more complaining if they miss a deadline. Go out and take a drive. Forget about the software and enjoy the car.
Let's hope they improve the software before the launch of the Gravity. The car gets great reviews except for the software. There needs to be more of a focus here, just my opinion. BTW I have owned a Tesla as well for over 6 years and the software updates have been much more robuts from day one, with suggestions getting into the software within weeks, usually buggy but getting fixed quickly.

Let's hope they improve the software before the launch of the Gravity. The car gets great reviews except for the software. There needs to be more of a focus here, just my opinion. BTW I have owned a Tesla as well for over 6 years and the software updates have been much more robuts from day one, with suggestions getting into the software within weeks, usually buggy but getting fixed quickly.
Yeah, that wasn’t my experience with Tesla at all. Overrated, to say the least.

I will say, after I let go of my Tesla, in more recent months, based on rides with friends, it is finally getting better. But it’s been a very long time coming.

I did not expect to be reading about software issues here. That is ancient history, in EV time.

I'm just at one year today (7800miles) and I could not be happier. Could not be happier.

After a couple of malfunctioning covid-supply-chain-alternate-vendor modules were replaced,
my car has not just been flawless
and far exceeding my expectations
it keeps getting better

it keeps getting better !

The rain sensor sensitivity is too low, and my windshield fills with droplets to the point that the view becomes of skewered before the wiper system will kick on when it is set in automatic mode you can manually turn the wiper on to lower high, but you cannot manually set it to any intermittent frequency there needs to be an intermittent wiper setting that you can manually start and the rain sensor needs to kick in much earlier. I have attached a photo of the windshield to show the extent of rain that can accumulate before the wiper starts to run. Of course you can manually push the button into wipe the rain droplets but that sort of defeats the purpose of the automatic setting is everyone experiencing this?
I have had the same problem. The auto intermittent rain sensor oftentimes does not sense the rain until the windshield is completely coated. It's either way too slow, or too fast when I press the other buttons.

There needs to be a wiper setting whereby you can adjust the intermittent wipe.

I contacted customer service and they stated that they have had other complaints about this and that they will put this in my file, until such times as a fix is found.

Yeah I found the sensing wipers to be a problem initially, but you can push the left stalk button briefly to get things started and then I think it "learns" how often to swipe. Doesn't seem to be as much as an issue one year into ownership. I find the one ping only button on the left stalk thrilling. I keep discovering how this car works, and then sensing the design engineering behind it. I've never felt so connected to the people who thought of and built a car... they really nailed it.

Example: grocery shopping. as I approach the car it unlocks...I open the driver door ... reach in to the nearest corner
and open the funk.
all the groceries fit and don't flop around

i didn't know i needed that

I should be on topic so wondering if anyone has seen / read about Robert Kearns?

automotive engineering is so rich with stories like this I guess I don't have to mention Tucker ?

I have had similar problems, in addition to finding that I have to take my eyes off the road to look at the left touch screen in order to change the wiper setting (too many buttons, in too small a space, with zero tactile input on what you are pressing). I believe that a better UX design for that space (given that we aren't going to get a physical control) would be to make the 5 button space into one "slider", moving from "off" to "auto" to "slow... faster... fastest". This lessens the need to get a finger jab exactly right to change the setting, as well as addressing the auto/intermittent/speed request.

Back