Wheel size

Rolandphx

Cars
GLE AMG
I just got off the phone with my delivery advisor. He said that if I stick with the 20-inch wheels then my order will not start until July 2022. However, if I change the wheel size to either 19 or 21, then the vehicle will be built in May. The 19s are better comfort, have less risk of damage to rims, and a better range (516 miles). With the 21 inch wheels, the range is 469 miles and a rougher ride.

I need advice. What do you guys think?

My best advice is just wait for the 20 inch. You chose them for a reason, remember that reason!

I would appreciate if people who already have their Lucids, and have the 21s and 19s, tell me their thoughts.

I LOVE my 21s because they look great, but everyone here who has 19s love the comfort and range!

I find the 21s to be comfortable most of the time. There is some sacrifice. It really is personal to do you like the look enough to put up with less range and a ride that will be harsher at times. The 19s are a more practical choice if you like the look of the rim.

I've only done a little over 200miles on my 21" ... and the look is amazing and the ride is nice. never tried the 19" so no idea what I am missing there.
at the moment, my intention is to buy 20" for the winter/ski season.

Why 20 and not 19?

I've only done a little over 200miles on my 21" ... and the look is amazing and the ride is nice. never tried the 19" so no idea what I am missing there.
I am planning to get 19" for ski season as range and snow tire tread both impact range, but I'm loving the 21" wheels for everyday drive. (just crossed 200miles as well. :)

I don't have the Lucid yet, but the 21s on a Model S were awful on the bumpy roads near me. 21s are more prone to blowouts even on normal cars, and these cars are HEAVY. I have a light foot and do my best to avoid potholes, but I blew 3 tires in roughly 6 weeks. Sold them and put on 19s. If this car will be your daily driver, and the roads near you are not well maintained, then I would strongly recommend the 19s.

Where I live west of Houston, Texas it would be rim suicide to get the 21” though I have them on my two Model T’s!😊

Attachments

• 9B66C319-3D87-4FF8-9F8F-30C3867E71F6.jpeg
    9B66C319-3D87-4FF8-9F8F-30C3867E71F6.jpeg
    478.8 KB · Views: 106
Ford offered a color called Windsor Maroon on the 1927 Model T Coupe but no one has the formula so mine is painted a very similar more modern formulation. It is Jaguar Limousine Maroon.

Last edited:
...at the moment, my intention is to buy 20" for the winter/ski season.
Maybe a good idea to check Tire Rack and see what winter tires are available at 19" and 20" sizes. There could be a big difference in number of choices or availability in a winter tire spec that meets our cars' load range.

Why 20 and not 19?
I find the ride on 21” great … want an option for winter tyres, and at the moment prefer the look of the 20. Saying that the 19 without inserts gave food for thought
I don’t feel I need softer or longer range, so don’t have a burning desire for the 19s.

I would appreciate if people who already have their Lucids, and have the 21s and 19s, tell me their thoughts.
I prefer the ride of the 19s. Might swap back to them well before summer ends.

The 21" look great and ride great even if you give up a few miles of range. However, I am contemplating pulling an @borski and buying a set of 19" to have for road trips where range is important.

The 21" look great and ride great even if you give up a few miles of range. However, I am contemplating pulling an @borski and buying a set of 19" to have for road trips where range is important.
Also, for me, the peace of mind on a trip where I might likely encounter extended rain. I get very bearish on rain with the 21s.

Also, for me, the peace of mind on a trip where I might likely encounter extended rain. I get very bearish on rain with the 21s.

They handle great in rain.

I also prefer the look and feel of the 21s. I plan in pretty much always keeping them on except when taking the car for long road trips.

I just got off the phone with my delivery advisor. He said that if I stick with the 20-inch wheels then my order will not start until July 2022. However, if I change the wheel size to either 19 or 21, then the vehicle will be built in May. The 19s are better comfort, have less risk of damage to rims, and a better range (516 miles). With the 21 inch wheels, the range is 469 miles and a rougher ride.

I need advice. What do you guys think?

When I made my reservation I opted for the 20" wheels, when I placed my order the other day I switched to the 19" wheels for a two main reasons; The car is going to be my daily driver and I don't feel like screwing around with a tire or tire/wheel swap come winter, it's currently pothole season here Chicago and that reminded me that I'm buying a car that is about 800 lbs. heavier than my current DD and that I would like to maintain or preferably decrease my frequency of having bent or broken rims repaired or replaced, I currently have 20's on my CT6 and keep a spare wheel on hand.

So does this mean the 20" wheel will accept an all-weather tire? I have the winter issue too, but really like the look of the 20" compared to 19"

Back