Votes: 11 8.6%
  • 21"

Votes: 52 40.6%

• Total voters

hellolucid

Verified Owner
Cars
GT
pretty sure this would be leaning towards 19" because of the increased range and weather constraints but I'm just curious to see what % of users went with 20/21" wheels.

Taking a chance on the 21s even though I live in pot hole country (NewYork) as the 19s look very generic

When I was getting a flat fixed today at Tesla I told the guys I was getting the GT and they all wanted me to bring it by - In talking about the car I mentioned that though I went with the 19”’s I wanted the 20” and was planing to get all season tires for the Minnesota winters. He said a lot of 20”’s are just as wide as the 21”’s and it’s the width that makes them hard to cut thru snow, offsetting any particular “all season” label. Not something I was aware of.

When I was getting a flat fixed today at Tesla I told the guys I was getting the GT and they all wanted me to bring it by - In talking about the car I mentioned that though I went with the 19”’s I wanted the 20” and was planing to get all season tires for the Minnesota winters. He said a lot of 20”’s are just as wide as the 21”’s and it’s the width that makes them hard to cut thru snow, offsetting any particular “all season” label. Not something I was aware of.
I thought wider was better for traction in snow?

Also skinny tires won't hydroplane as easily. But if you do a lot of driving in loose sand you'll want the wide ones.
I went with 20" wheels because:
1) IMO better looks than the 19"
2) Reduced chances for road damage over the 21"
3) Possibly more choices in future for tire brand/type/price on 20" over 21"
4) Delayed shipment of 20" wheel cars means a few more hardware assembly glitches will have been remediated by the time my car is built.
5) I'll be able to tell my car from all the other white AGT's in the parking lot by looking at wheel size. Very few chose 20" rims. Right now about 10% of the cars in nearby parking lots look exactly like my white Model 3.

Last edited:
I ordered the GT with 21" but also bought a set of 19" for the winter.

Went with 19" for my AGT Cosmos Silver because 20" may not be available for 2022 delivery. The 20" wheels look much better than the 19", IMO. I will order 20" wheels as they become available. Michelin tires are mounted on the 20" Lucid wheels. Would have ordered 21", but cast wheels in my experience are not as durable as forged wheels. The higher aspect ratio of the cast 19" should reduce wheel damage potential vs 21's.

... I will order 20" wheels as they become available. Michelin tires are mounted on the 20" Lucid wheels. Would have ordered 21", but cast wheels in my experience are not as durable as forged wheels. The higher aspect ratio of the cast 19" should reduce wheel damage potential vs 21's.
I'm planning the same swap to 20" when they become available and/or when I need a new set of tires. Or instead of Lucid's rims, a 3rd-party set of lighter forged 20's.

I am patiently waiting for the 20s. I hope it comes through as promised in Q4 but I am not going to hold my breath! I asked my DA if he has any knowledge of the timeline and I did not hear back.

I got the 19" for range. I think that they look fine. But for me it was not about the look, it was about the range.

I thought wider was better for traction in snow?

In the olden days of my car-owning youth, the markedly skinny tires on two-wheel-drive VW Beetles, Volvos, and Saabs were big reasons they were known for handling snow better than wider-tired American cars.

I went for the 21 for the futuristic look. My daily commute is short and free charge for 3 years as what they say.....

I have the 19" wheels for both range and pothole mitigation. Although the exterior look of the car was important (overall design and color choice of Zenith Red which contrasts great with the silver upper frame), I'm all about the practicality: Mojave(dark) interior to reduce frequent cleaning or scuffs, etc. I bought the car for the range and ride, and how the tires look is invisible to me 99% of the time.

I have the 21's and I am very happy with them. That said, I do have to say that the GTP's 20" wheels look great.

What kind of tire tread life are people getting in 21s??

I have ordered 19, though I’m not super excited about the look either. I will probably end up getting some aftermarket EV wheels. I have found some that look like the “turbine” wheels on the DE and are 19”, but they are black and made in Canada, so not sure how I will deal with that. Perhaps a road trip!

I have ordered 19, though I’m not super excited about the look either. I will probably end up getting some aftermarket EV wheels. I have found some that look like the “turbine” wheels on the DE and are 19”, but they are black and made in Canada, so not sure how I will deal with that. Perhaps a road trip!
Share a link they appear to use tesla wheel measurements so I think any custom model S wheels would works too

Back