What theme lighting do you use at night?

CraZ8

Verified Owner
Cars
2018 velar 2002 bmw z8
One of the nicest details of the Lucid is the theme lighting for nighttime drives. You get six different themes although I might quibble they had too many in the blue palate ( three of the six ) I find myself using the blue green theme “escape “at maximum intensity most of the time but I switch off to “wonder” at 3/4 intensity part of the time. I like how the interior crew added the lights at the end of the dash to make it appear to float as well as making the door pulls float by back lighting them up and down. Then the software people not to be outdone made sure your upper screens display a hint of the same color theme from the bottom up fading away into the middle of each screen. The cherry on the top literally is the overhead strip to give that aircraft/ spaceship feel. Very nicely done and not at all garish.
I remember my model S I had to pay a kings ransom for “ premium “ lighting and you got fogs, an extra trunk light and 4 little white only strips under the door pulls. The footwell lights did not stay on when driving plunging your legs in inky blackness. The Tesla sucked at night when it came to feng shui
I would ask that lucid take away maybe the light or dark blue and throw in a red or lavender. Any thoughts from the Airheads out there

Attachments

• 1750A516-6AD6-4879-ABAC-1E8DC3FE9FA4.jpeg
    1750A516-6AD6-4879-ABAC-1E8DC3FE9FA4.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 256
  • 7B82759C-2055-48BA-9043-66EA25E2620C.jpeg
    7B82759C-2055-48BA-9043-66EA25E2620C.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 289
  • 3AB0CD6F-9A0D-4DCD-ABBF-915F6DAFDE3C.jpeg
    3AB0CD6F-9A0D-4DCD-ABBF-915F6DAFDE3C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 250
  • 414824E6-6DEE-4F88-8C0A-66ED48E547EF.jpeg
    414824E6-6DEE-4F88-8C0A-66ED48E547EF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 253
I'm going to be the odd one out again here and say when it comes to driving at night, I want as little light IN the car as possible. That way, my eyes can see the road more clearly.

I have zero need to look at my legs while driving.

This is one of the things I like about my Model 3 not having an instrument cluster right in front of my face. It's actually quite nice once you get used to it to have nothing drawing attention to your eyes but the road ahead. Especially at night.

So I likely will be turning all the interior lighting to its most dim setting, if turning it off is not possible.

Having said that, they did do an excellent job with the colors. I think they all look great. Blue is a good hue to use if you want to stay awake. Red would be a cool sort of "stealth" mode feel, if that's your thing. I'd agree with the suggestion that some sort of red would be a good addition.

The green one, escape?

I use the red one, fits best with the Tahoe interior. I like it cuz it reminds me of the tract lighting in some high end film screening rooms. I love driving this car at night, but I also dim the pilot panel, it’s way too bright. But it’s also great because the brightness control is instantly accessible. Another example of great UI design.

I use the red one, fits best with the Tahoe interior. I like it cuz it reminds me of the tract lighting in some high end film screening rooms. I love driving this car at night, but I also dim the pilot panel, it’s way too bright. But it’s also great because the brightness control is instantly accessible. Another example of great UI design.
Red one reminds me of Amsterdam....you know a certain street

That’s my choice as well with my Tahoe interior. It’s a very natural look.

I'm going to be the odd one out again here and say when it comes to driving at night, I want as little light IN the car as possible. That way, my eyes can see the road more clearly.

I have zero need to look at my legs while driving.

This is one of the things I like about my Model 3 not having an instrument cluster right in front of my face. It's actually quite nice once you get used to it to have nothing drawing attention to your eyes but the road ahead. Especially at night.

So I likely will be turning all the interior lighting to its most dim setting, if turning it off is not possible.

Having said that, they did do an excellent job with the colors. I think they all look great. Blue is a good hue to use if you want to stay awake. Red would be a cool sort of "stealth" mode feel, if that's your thing. I'd agree with the suggestion that some sort of red would be a good addition.
You’d be surprised; because it’s all diffused light, it’s really calming and not intrusive.

You’d be surprised; because it’s all diffused light, it’s really calming and not intrusive.
I’ll keep an open mind, then. Obviously, I couldn’t see it during my daytime test drive.

But most interior lighting treatments in cars I’ve seen I find completely distracting.

I’ll keep an open mind, then. Obviously, I couldn’t see it during my daytime test drive.

But most interior lighting treatments in cars I’ve seen I find completely distracting.
I agree with you, actually. It’s one of the main things that turned me off of the EQS. None of that lighting was diffused, and it was insanely distracting.

It’s very well done in the Air.

It can be turned completely off. However, as others have said, it's very subtle even at the more intense settings. I actually find it far less distracting than the insanely bright air bag indicator above the rearview mirror.

I agree with you, actually. It’s one of the main things that turned me off of the EQS. None of that lighting was diffused, and it was insanely distracting.

It’s very well done in the Air.
You have a lot of control over the lighting in the EQS.

Yes, but that doesn’t change that it isn’t diffused lighting. It’s all exposed which makes it more distracting to me.
You really don't notice the lighting while driving or I guess you get used to it.

Pontiacs used only red interior lighting for quite a while. They told us something like this
Red lighting is mainly installed into vehicles to give considerably better night vision than white lighting is able to offer.
Police officers don't have time to wait for their eyes to adjust to darkness so using a red interior light saves them crucial seconds.

Back