Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Referral Code
F0ZQ8SWA
7BC0EFE4-32D6-4855-817C-228159E6A762.jpeg

VOILA!!!

42BD5405-17F9-4280-AD2D-30278FD47325.jpeg

To hold pencils and papers?

I think it’s great there are more and more EV options out there. But I would never consider an EV without a proper front trunk. I use mine more than I use the rear trunk at this point.

An EV without a usable frunk is a sign of lazy design and engineering to me. If the vehicle was a completely different form factor (ie nothing that would have previously been identified as an engine compartment) that would be a different matter. A lot of these EVs with no (or virtually no) frunk look like they are (or in some cases are) designed to fit a hulky ICE engine. No engine but somehow they couldn’t figure out how to get frunk space…huh?

An EV without a usable frunk is a sign of lazy design and engineering to me. If the vehicle was a completely different form factor (ie nothing that would have previously been identified as an engine compartment) that would be a different matter. A lot of these EVs with no (or virtually no) frunk look like they are (or in some cases are) designed to fit a hulky ICE engine. No engine but somehow they couldn’t figure out how to get frunk space…huh?

I wouldn't call it lazy. A lot of the EV makers don't have the tech or know how to do this and they do what they know. This is why Tesla is years ahead, but Lucid looks like they know a thing or two. Take a look at the Fisker Ocean. It's very spacious and has no frunk at all. Henrik Fisker said by not doing a frunk he can save on all the hardware and design fillers and give that savings back to the consumer. I enjoy my frunk now, but it's about the why.

A large frunk can mean that the front hood is longer than it needs to be. It's a design decision. The Air is a foot longer than the EV6.

A large frunk can mean that the front hood is longer than it needs to be. It's a design decision. The Air is a foot longer than the EV6.
That can be true but the Air is also a sedan with a very deep (as in lengthwise) trunk so I would say a good amount of that foot is in the rear. The Tesla Model Y has a decent frunk (definitely smaller than the Air though) and is only 2.5” longer than the EV6 (plus at least according to the numbers the rear cargo capacity and legroom is slightly more in the Y.)

I also think it is partly due to the legacy manufacturers using common parts with their ICE lines (that are made to fit around an ICE engine)

I also think it is partly due to the legacy manufacturers using common parts with their ICE lines (that are made to fit around an ICE engine)
Agreed. Munro's video showed engineering that wasn't as elegant as Teslas. But by all accounts the ev6, ioniq5 and gv60 are great choices at their price point.

Back