Well...I started the cancellation process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveinarizona

Cars
Genesis GV60 Performance
As many of you know, I have had a reservation for a RWD Pure for a long time and recently picked up a Genesis GV60 EV. I have struggled with the decision as I do love the Lucid Air and really enjoyed my test drive in one. I anticipated I would know how the company was setting up the RWD Pure at the November 15th announcement; alas, no and still no although a few more details have come out (HP, Range). At that time I was prepared to wait for the car; what I was not prepared for was the endless waiting to find out how the car would be configured (HP, range, upholstery, tires, suspension, headliner material, etc. etc.) and, therefore, whether as configured it was still what I wanted. So at the end of December I partially gave up and picked up a Genesis GV60 that became available at my local Genesis dealer (4 miles from my house).

I still kept my Lucid reservation to make sure I didn't have buyer's remorse and would want to sell my Genesis and get the Lucid. But now, after a month and a half, I have determined that I do like my GV60 and therefore will cancel the Lucid reservation.

Is the Lucid a better vehicle? IMO, yes. But is it better for me and is it enough better for me to sell my GV60 to get the Lucid Air? That is a more difficult question for me.

The Lucid, both because it is a sedan and because it is very well designed, is a much better handling machine (a sedan will always handle better and the GV60 is hampered additionally by Michelin Primacy all season tires). The Lucid is down a bit on power having 430 HP vs 480 HP for the Genesis. Torque on the Lucid Air is also down a bit: 550Nm compared with 700 Nm. On the other hand, range is significantly better on the Lucid Air with 406 miles compared to 235 miles (a huge Lucid advantage).

I have said for a number of years that I would never buy a new car again without a HUD...I have had one for a number of years and love being able to keep my eyes on the road. The Lucid came close enough for me to still consider it even though it doesn't have a HUD (because the display is positioned close to where a HUD would show). But I still prefer having a HUD and the GV60 does have one.

Size is an interesting issue. It is a bit like seats. My prior cars were BMWs and on the BMW forums there are postings filled with folks who love or hate particular seat versions. The Lucid Air is the same size as my prior BMW 530e; the GV60 is about a foot and a half shorter (but with a wheelbase larger than that of a Telluride). For many, that is an advantage to the Lucid and a disadvantage to the GV60. But I prefer a smaller car and the GV60 fits my size needs (first thing I did was make sure that my golf clubs would fit).

Storage is a bit of a mixed bag. The frunk in the Lucid is hugely larger and more useful than the tiny frunk in the GV60. On the other hand, the GV60 has a traditional hatch so it can store taller items that won't fit into the trunk of the Lucid but the total storage capacity of the Lucid is greater.

The Lucid has purelux seating; the GV60 has Nappa. The rest of the GV60 interior is Nappa, a quality imitation of Nappa, or ultrasuede. I don't know about the Pure interior other than the Purelux.

Seat access is a key issue for me (at least for now). In a couple of weeks I am having a hip replacement and the GV60 is way easier to get in and out of. The seat is at the right height to simply slide in and the car has easy entry/easy exit so when I open the door the seat slides back and the steering wheel rises. One of the reasons the Lucid handles so well is that the seat is in the traditional low position; but that would be very problematic for me, at least for a while.

ADAS: both have a full suite. The GV60 does NOT have Lidar but the ACC and HA work very well. There are five different blind spot systems (traditional side view mirrors; red triangle lighting up in the side view mirror; turn on the turn signal and a window opens up on the display showing that side of the car going back: On the HUD there are two diagonal lines representing traffic lanes and if a car goes to my blind spot a red blush appears at the bottom of the appropriate line; and, if despite all that, I start to wonder into the lane where a car is or is approaching, the GV60 beeps at me. The 360 camera also works very well although not quite as full functioned as the Lucid.

Software. Hard to say if, ultimately, the Lucid software will be better. But, as of now, there is no comparison. The Genesis software is mature. And if one does want to or must do a reboot, it is a simple variant of the computer 3 finger salute on the GV60; Lucid really needs to come up with a better reboot system that will do the job but still avoid folks accidentally rebooting. The turtle modes and other problems identified here on the forum are not necessarily statistically indicative of what I would get when I acquired my Pure. But we are a one car family and there is definitely a risk associated with a new car company with still maturing software.

Music. The upgraded Lucid system has Atmos and the GV60 Bang & Olafsen, despite 17 speakers and 1400 watts, doesn't. So the potential quality of the Lucid is better. But the GV60 has native SXM which I have become accustomed to using for many years and the Lucid must do with streaming.

The GV60 uses a blended braking system whereas the Lucid (like the Tesla) does not. This is a matter of personal preference. If the former, it makes sense to set up the car to coast; if the latter it makes sense to set up the car for one pedal driving. Simply a matter of taste.

The GV60 uses a heat pump for interior heating; the Lucid uses resistant heating. I live in Scottsdale, Arizona so I have no idea what impact will come from the difference. The few "cold" days we have had I simply turn on the seat and steering wheel heaters. But for those in the north, this could be an issue.

Service: theoretically both should have white glove treatment. But last time I checked service wasn't theory. But I have not had to service my GV60 and, in any event, anecdotal evidence is pretty much the opposite of statistical validity. Time will tell for both companies.

Warranty: the GV60, being a Hyundai group offering, has a ten year power train warranty with a five year full warranty. The Lucid offers an 8 year powertrain warranty with a four year full warranty. Slight advantage to the GV60.

Ease of purchase. To me, the GV60 was easier because I could trade in my BMW and not have to go through the separate process of selling my car after buying the GV60. Otherwise, both were pretty simple.

Charging. A small issue for me. The charge port on my BMW 530e was on the driver side front fender so that is where I had wired my 240 line. The GV60 put the charging port on the passenger side rear fender so it is a bit of a pain to get the charger cord there. The Lucid, on the other hand, has the same position as the BMW so it would be way easier for me to plug in the Lucid.

Conclusion: both are terrific cars with different advantages and disadvantages. The GV60 works well for me and I already have it so I will stick with it. Cancelling was very, very hard for me to do.

I’ll add to your list to help you feel better:

From what I gather, you would have to sell your Genesis to buy the Lucid. We are now in a traditional market, where you will take a significant hit since you purchased your Genesis new. That right there is probably your most important consideration. Unquestionably the Air is a better car, but I don’t know that it is that much better where it would be worth the financial hit. If you were going to a Touring or GT it would be easier to justify the indulgence. If you owned neither, it would be an easy decision to get the Air. Since you already bought a new car, it’s a pretty simple decision to stick with what you have.

Enjoy the heck out of your car and in a few years you can revisit, or even pick up something with a few miles on it. I’m sure a lot of the kinks will be worked out by then.

I hope you will stick around.

Lovin' my GV-60. Will keep it until I get my R1S at the end of the year (knock wood).

I will have my Touring by the end of the month.

As many of you know, I have had a reservation for a RWD Pure for a long time and recently picked up a Genesis GV60 EV. I have struggled with the decision as I do love the Lucid Air and really enjoyed my test drive in one. I anticipated I would know how the company was setting up the RWD Pure at the November 15th announcement; alas, no and still no although a few more details have come out (HP, Range). At that time I was prepared to wait for the car; what I was not prepared for was the endless waiting to find out how the car would be configured (HP, range, upholstery, tires, suspension, headliner material, etc. etc.) and, therefore, whether as configured it was still what I wanted. So at the end of December I partially gave up and picked up a Genesis GV60 that became available at my local Genesis dealer (4 miles from my house).

I still kept my Lucid reservation to make sure I didn't have buyer's remorse and would want to sell my Genesis and get the Lucid. But now, after a month and a half, I have determined that I do like my GV60 and therefore will cancel the Lucid reservation.

Is the Lucid a better vehicle? IMO, yes. But is it better for me and is it enough better for me to sell my GV60 to get the Lucid Air? That is a more difficult question for me.

The Lucid, both because it is a sedan and because it is very well designed, is a much better handling machine (a sedan will always handle better and the GV60 is hampered additionally by Michelin Primacy all season tires). The Lucid is down a bit on power having 430 HP vs 480 HP for the Genesis. Torque on the Lucid Air is also down a bit: 550Nm compared with 700 Nm. On the other hand, range is significantly better on the Lucid Air with 406 miles compared to 235 miles (a huge Lucid advantage).

I have said for a number of years that I would never buy a new car again without a HUD...I have had one for a number of years and love being able to keep my eyes on the road. The Lucid came close enough for me to still consider it even though it doesn't have a HUD (because the display is positioned close to where a HUD would show). But I still prefer having a HUD and the GV60 does have one.

Size is an interesting issue. It is a bit like seats. My prior cars were BMWs and on the BMW forums there are postings filled with folks who love or hate particular seat versions. The Lucid Air is the same size as my prior BMW 530e; the GV60 is about a foot and a half shorter (but with a wheelbase larger than that of a Telluride). For many, that is an advantage to the Lucid and a disadvantage to the GV60. But I prefer a smaller car and the GV60 fits my size needs (first thing I did was make sure that my golf clubs would fit).

Storage is a bit of a mixed bag. The frunk in the Lucid is hugely larger and more useful than the tiny frunk in the GV60. On the other hand, the GV60 has a traditional hatch so it can store taller items that won't fit into the trunk of the Lucid but the total storage capacity of the Lucid is greater.

The Lucid has purelux seating; the GV60 has Nappa. The rest of the GV60 interior is Nappa, a quality imitation of Nappa, or ultrasuede. I don't know about the Pure interior other than the Purelux.

Seat access is a key issue for me (at least for now). In a couple of weeks I am having a hip replacement and the GV60 is way easier to get in and out of. The seat is at the right height to simply slide in and the car has easy entry/easy exit so when I open the door the seat slides back and the steering wheel rises. One of the reasons the Lucid handles so well is that the seat is in the traditional low position; but that would be very problematic for me, at least for a while.

ADAS: both have a full suite. The GV60 does NOT have Lidar but the ACC and HA work very well. There are five different blind spot systems (traditional side view mirrors; red triangle lighting up in the side view mirror; turn on the turn signal and a window opens up on the display showing that side of the car going back: On the HUD there are two diagonal lines representing traffic lanes and if a car goes to my blind spot a red blush appears at the bottom of the appropriate line; and, if despite all that, I start to wonder into the lane where a car is or is approaching, the GV60 beeps at me. The 360 camera also works very well although not quite as full functioned as the Lucid.

Software. Hard to say if, ultimately, the Lucid software will be better. But, as of now, there is no comparison. The Genesis software is mature. And if one does want to or must do a reboot, it is a simple variant of the computer 3 finger salute on the GV60; Lucid really needs to come up with a better reboot system that will do the job but still avoid folks accidentally rebooting. The turtle modes and other problems identified here on the forum are not necessarily statistically indicative of what I would get when I acquired my Pure. But we are a one car family and there is definitely a risk associated with a new car company with still maturing software.

Music. The upgraded Lucid system has Atmos and the GV60 Bang & Olafsen, despite 17 speakers and 1400 watts, doesn't. So the potential quality of the Lucid is better. But the GV60 has native SXM which I have become accustomed to using for many years and the Lucid must do with streaming.

The GV60 uses a blended braking system whereas the Lucid (like the Tesla) does not. This is a matter of personal preference. If the former, it makes sense to set up the car to coast; if the latter it makes sense to set up the car for one pedal driving. Simply a matter of taste.

The GV60 uses a heat pump for interior heating; the Lucid uses resistant heating. I live in Scottsdale, Arizona so I have no idea what impact will come from the difference. The few "cold" days we have had I simply turn on the seat and steering wheel heaters. But for those in the north, this could be an issue.

Service: theoretically both should have white glove treatment. But last time I checked service wasn't theory. But I have not had to service my GV60 and, in any event, anecdotal evidence is pretty much the opposite of statistical validity. Time will tell for both companies.

Warranty: the GV60, being a Hyundai group offering, has a ten year power train warranty with a five year full warranty. The Lucid offers an 8 year powertrain warranty with a four year full warranty. Slight advantage to the GV60.

Ease of purchase. To me, the GV60 was easier because I could trade in my BMW and not have to go through the separate process of selling my car after buying the GV60. Otherwise, both were pretty simple.

Charging. A small issue for me. The charge port on my BMW 530e was on the driver side front fender so that is where I had wired my 240 line. The GV60 put the charging port on the passenger side rear fender so it is a bit of a pain to get the charger cord there. The Lucid, on the other hand, has the same position as the BMW so it would be way easier for me to plug in the Lucid.

Conclusion: both are terrific cars with different advantages and disadvantages. The GV60 works well for me and I already have it so I will stick with it. Cancelling was very, very hard for me to do.
Sad to see you cancel but that's just the way the chips fell this time around. Hope to hear more about your GV60 so please stick around 😁

Good luck Steve!

Still hope to hear from you on the forum!!!

Thanks everyone. I got the new hip on Tuesday morning. By mid afternoon I was home. My surgeon wants me to use a walker for a week so the bones will fuse but I already feel better walking. If anyone else needs a hip replacement, I urge them to look into surgeons who use the "Superpath" method. It is the new gold standard although there are not a lot of surgeons fully trained in it yet.

Thanks everyone. I got the new hip on Tuesday morning. By mid afternoon I was home. My surgeon wants me to use a walker for a week so the bones will fuse but I already feel better walking. If anyone else needs a hip replacement, I urge them to look into surgeons who use the "Superpath" method. It is the new gold standard although there are not a lot of surgeons fully trained in it yet.

Glad to hear everything went well and you are on the road to recovery!!! Modern surgical techniques are pretty amazing!!!

Best wishes on your recovery. Modern medicine rocks.

Wishing you a swift recovery with excellent results!

Speedy recovery to enjoy time behind wheel!

Glad you are feeling better. Modern medicine is a miracle.

6 days out. Today I got in my GV60 and drove to the supermarket for a pickup (ordered online, never got out of the car). Getting in and out was pretty easy and almost entirely painless. Driving was easy and painless. I do have the advantage that my replacement was my left hip, not my driving hip. If I had a manual, I would be screwed; operating a clutch would have been pretty difficult. Also got my doctor's permission to kill all the painkillers...yea.

BTW if you are having hip or knee surgery, ask you doctor about a cold therapy machine. My doctor included a two week rental of the NICE unit in his fee (which I had to pay because he doesn't take Medicare) and it does wonders to help the healing process.

The Lucid would have been a real problem getting in and out because of how low it sits (its not fair that the best sitting position for driving is the worst for almost everything else). But six months from now that would be completely irrelevant.

While I am happy with my Genesis GV60 Performance, I remain a Lucid fan and who knows, a few years from now I might be replacing my Genesis with a Lucid.

6 days out. Today I got in my GV60 and drove to the supermarket for a pickup (ordered online, never got out of the car). Getting in and out was pretty easy and almost entirely painless. Driving was easy and painless. I do have the advantage that my replacement was my left hip, not my driving hip. If I had a manual, I would be screwed; operating a clutch would have been pretty difficult. Also got my doctor's permission to kill all the painkillers...yea.

BTW if you are having hip or knee surgery, ask you doctor about a cold therapy machine. My doctor included a two week rental of the NICE unit in his fee (which I had to pay because he doesn't take Medicare) and it does wonders to help the healing process.

The Lucid would have been a real problem getting in and out because of how low it sits (its not fair that the best sitting position for driving is the worst for almost everything else). But six months from now that would be completely irrelevant.

While I am happy with my Genesis GV60 Performance, I remain a Lucid fan and who knows, a few years from now I might be replacing my Genesis with a Lucid.
The simple solution is that the GV60 is a stopgap until the Gravity 😁

My cold therapy machine was a godsend for my shoulder surgery (second one; first was a bankart repair 9 years prior, second was a Latarjet and bankart repair)

Better yet, trade it for a gravity. Should be much easier to get in and out of.

Glad you are feeling better.

My cold therapy machine was a godsend for my shoulder surgery (second one; first was a bankart repair 9 years prior, second was a Latarjet and bankart repair)
Too much MMA I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back