Weird buzzing with AC parked.

ColonelBadger

Cars
Air Touring
Referral Code
IQZT5SXS
So I parked my car on a warm day today in the garage and plugged in the charger. Went back to the car later to get my sunglasses and as soon as I opened the door and the AC kicked in the car started to make a weird buzzing noise outside the car. I confirmed it was the AC by switching it off and the noise stopped. Weirdly when I started the AC again the noise didn’t happen. Any body else hear this?

I think I've heard this but while I was inside the car. Turning the ac off turns off the buzzing as well. Turning it on again doesn't immediately cause the buzzing to come back, but it comes back later.

Service said this was normal for my case.

Yeah it’s definitely repeatable. It sounds to me like the buzzing is as the fan starts to build speed; the car was pretty warm so it was attempting to cool itself. As the fan gets faster the buzzing disappears. As soon as I open the car door and the car wakes and switches on the HVAC the noise starts, faint at first but gets louder buzzing before disappearing as the fan gets to full speed. I’ll mess with the fan on its own to see if it’s anything related to the compressor.

Seems like this sound is related to when the car is hot inside. When I open the car door the HVAC kicks in and I get this initial buzzing before the fan noise takes over. Anybody else have this? Normal ?

I recorded it…

Seems like this sound is related to when the car is hot inside. When I open the car door the HVAC kicks in and I get this initial buzzing before the fan noise takes over. Anybody else have this? Normal ?

I recorded it…

The loaner GT 9/22 build sounded like this, my GT is much quieter but I can still hear fan noise.

It takes a while to get used to all the strange and new noises coming from the car. Fans and pumps are the least of it. Wait until you hear the louvers in the front clicking and snapping when snow / ice buggers them up. It's an alarming sound as it's clearly not a good one...but I've survived two winters with it and no harm no foul. Perhaps like me you eventually will not go into a panic every time the car makes unexpected noises. Just when you thing you understand what's happening the car makes a noise you haven't heard previously. It's part of the fun of ownership.

It takes a while to get used to all the strange and new noises coming from the car. Fans and pumps are the least of it. Wait until you hear the louvers in the front clicking and snapping when snow / ice buggers them up. It's an alarming sound as it's clearly not a good one...but I've survived two winters with it and no harm no foul. Perhaps like me you eventually will not go into a panic every time the car makes unexpected noises. Just when you thing you understand what's happening the car makes a noise you haven't heard previously. It's part of the fun of ownership.

Yeah, I've read so much about Tesla's and now Air's making weird noises, but it's so different to hear them in person. Great to hear your Air did well through winter. How did the heated windshield wipers deal with snow/ice?

I hear the same sounds. Almost always when I'm using a DC fast charger. I haven't checked to see if it does that during L2 charging since I charge at night while I'm sleeping.

Back