Vehicle Sales Tax

LuciPearl

Cars
Air Grand Touring
Lucid informed me today my vehicles is in Houston. It's gotten through the inspection process and now has to be prepped for delivery to my home in DFW.

Just received all the documents I need to sign, and of course wire transfer the funds. Once that is compete they will schedule the home delivery. Target is 8-10 calendar days.

I was surprised to see an Arizona Sales Tax charge. Paperwork says after I pay Arizona will look at the tax rate in my home state (which they know is Texas and a 0% sales tax rate on EVs) and forward Texas the appropriate amount for credit to me. So I am wondering....what happens to the rest of the Arizona sales tax? Refunded to me?

Would appreciate the experience of Texas owners on this. Thank you in advance.

Jim
Air GT, Black. Mojave, 19"
....and anxious to experience the GT for the first time!

I went to county tax office to pick up plate. This is what mine look like. I know they included Texas state sales tax and also charge penalty which wasn’t in my final sales. I did pay sales tax when closing this car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I understand it now. What threw me is the Sales Tax on the invoice was 6.25%, which is less than the Texas Sales Tax we pay on most items we purchase. So I thought this might be the Arizona State Sales Tax.

I now know in Texas the Sales Tax on a car is 6.25%. We give that to Lucid....Lucid gives it Arizona....and Arizona gives it to Texas.

Thanks, I understand it now. What threw me is the Sales Tax on the invoice was 6.25%, which is less than the Texas Sales Tax we pay on most items we purchase. So I thought this might be the Arizona State Sales Tax.

I now know in Texas the Sales Tax on a car is 6.25%. We give that to Lucid....Lucid gives it Arizona....and Arizona gives it to Texas.
Correct. I think it was back before 2021 EV doesn’t have to pay sales tax. All the traditional brick and mortar dealers are whining to our lone star state. Now we even pay higher road tax at annual sticker registration. The rational is EV doesn’t use gas station and thus cheated paying tax on fuel price.

Back