Vancouver BC to Calgary Alberta

Vic Lucid

Verified Owner
I am thinking of taking my Air Pure AWD from Vancouver along the TransCanada highway to Calgary. Does anyone have any experience with that trip?

I am thinking of taking my Air Pure AWD from Vancouver along the TransCanada highway to Calgary. Does anyone have any experience with that trip?
Have not taken such a trip. However, based on what I saw in the elevation changes, you will be transiting through several high-altitude (4,000ft to 5,000ft) passes, I'd be quite conservative in my range estimation. The Pure has an EPA rated range of ~400 miles. If your average speed is 70mph, I'd assume a de-rated range of no more than 200 miles per full charge (100%) or perhaps 160 miles between charges. You can always slow down to below 60mph to conserve if you run low. Just make sure you have charging facilities en route.

Have not taken such a trip. However, based on what I saw in the elevation changes, you will be transiting through several high-altitude (4,000ft to 5,000ft) passes, I'd be quite conservative in my range estimation. The Pure has an EPA rated range of ~400 miles. If your average speed is 70mph, I'd assume a de-rated range of no more than 200 miles per full charge (100%) or perhaps 160 miles between charges. You can always slow down to below 60mph to conserve if you run low. Just make sure you have charging facilities en route.
You should also be mindful of the temperatures en route. My recollection is, even in the summer time, some of the high elevation temperatures could be in the single digits (Celsius). This could further compromise your efficiency.

Overall, the route is about 600 miles/1,000km. I'd plan for at least 3 recharging stops en route.

Thank you, good advice. I think my strategy would be to have frequent top ups along the way. Electrify Canada has a number of stations along the route.

Last July I did Seattle to Banff and Jasper and back via Kamloops with my GT, and was on your route from Abbotsford to Banff. It wasn't really a problem, but you do need to plan ahead (I used PlugShare) and get every possible charging app/card before you leave because downloading in areas with poor cell service wasn't fun. I have Flo, Petro-Canada, Electrify Canada, BC Hydro, Shell Recharge, etc. I charged in Merritt, Kamloops and Golden, and my hotel in Banff had a Level II charger. I don't recall any fast chargers in Banff, but if you can get to Canmore you're fine.

Back