USB Ports

Thehack

Verified Owner
Cars
Volvo XC 90 T8
I was reading a comment regarding phone charging, and USB ports. Unfortunately, I have a large phone with a bulky case on it (which is difficult to remove). So my most likely option is to plug in.

Does any one have any photos of the USB ports both in the front and back? I was hoping to find out the locations of these ports.

I was reading a comment regarding phone charging, and USB ports. Unfortunately, I have a large phone with a bulky case on it (which is difficult to remove). So my most likely option is to plug in.

Does any one have any photos of the USB ports both in the front and back? I was hoping to find out the locations of these ports.
There is a type-C and type-A inside the back of center console compartment where the charger and cup holders are. Two more type-C ports are on the back of the console below the rear passenger climate control screen.

Screenshot_20220420-100128_Chrome.jpg

Does anyone know the wattage on the USB-C plugs? Curious if they support fast charging.

Does anyone know the wattage on the USB-C plugs? Curious if they support fast charging.
I am by no means an electrician but the fuse box rating for the USB chargers is 10A for both front and rear:

Blade fuse: MB29
Rating: 10A
Usage: USB Modules Front and Rear

Best way to find out would be to try to charge a laptop PC from the port, with a USB-C power meter in between. I'd be happy to do this if someone would stop by with their car :)

Has anyone tried to charge their laptop yet?

I cannot get the center console ports to charge my iPhone. Rear work fine. Anyone with same experience?

I don't know the amperage of the back USB ports, but I'm currently plugged into the port with my 2022 MacBook Air. It's at 51% and says charging time is over 10 hours with the screen at full brightness. It's enough to keep the charge level, but not add to the battery. Obviously not the 65 watts or even 35w needed to fast charge the laptop. But, it does change the iPad well, so my best guess is 5w.

It sure would be nice to know the exact specs for the 4 USB ports... I tried to charge an AirMoto (uses 5v USB-C at 2A), but it will not charge (but does do so using its USB-A to USB-C cable in the car)... my Samsung S22+ does fast charging just fine off the front USB-C port (I believe that is 9V at 4A, but am not sure).
I asked Customer Support this over 2 weeks ago (as well as noting that it should be in the owner's manual), but so far silence...

It sure would be nice to know the exact specs for the 4 USB ports... I tried to charge an AirMoto (uses 5v USB-C at 2A), but it will not charge (but does do so using its USB-A to USB-C cable in the car)... my Samsung S22+ does fast charging just fine off the front USB-C port (I believe that is 9V at 4A, but am not sure).
I asked Customer Support this over 2 weeks ago (as well as noting that it should be in the owner's manual), but so far silence...
Perhaps try this? https://a.co/d/4if7VfB

That is for USB-A and 5v systems... USB-C can do much higher voltages (e.g. PD is capable of up to 48 V at 5 A).
This is the sort of info that should be in the "specs" chapter of a user guide.
In my case it is much more than just idle interest also, turns out there are USB-C to 12v sockets such as https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087PLHZLS/ that could be interesting, but knowing if the USB-C port supports its requirements is the logical starting point (thus starting this quest for published information on this aspect of the car's specs).

Last year I plugged a USB-C power meter into my 2022 Air GT and measured 8.4V @ 2.5A (21W) into a laptop that can accept up to 50W

From the USB-A port, I could only get 4.8v @ 1.4a = 6.5w

Thanks for those #s! They seem quite anemic to me, especially compared to what that 12v socket in the trunk supposedly puts out. This means that USB-C to 12v socket converter would not work (I was considering it as an alternative to the USB-A to 12v converter that can just eek out running the radar detector).

I was curious and just re-checked using a different cable and different laptop, and again got 8.2V @ 2.7A = 22W. So it seems the USB-C connector only meets the 5V and 9V levels of USB-PD. The higher levels of 15V and 20V require a boost conversion from the car's 12V battery, so I guess that's where they drew the line.

I purchased the twraps charger and plugged it in the USB C AND nothing…. I think it’s dead. I then used an adapter to usbA and it worked. The front usb c seems to be dead…. Weird

I purchased the twraps charger and plugged it in the USB C AND nothing…. I think it’s dead. I then used an adapter to usbA and it worked. The front usb c seems to be dead…. Weird
Does the USB-C port work for charging if you connect your phone to it with a cable?

Just tested that and yes it works just fine. Seems to be a product issue not a car issue.

Just tested that and yes it works just fine. Seems to be a product issue not a car issue.
Just shoot me a DM with the order # and I will send a replacement. Sorry for the late response, I saw this post by accident, for some reason I am not getting email notifications :/

Back