Upgrading wheels

nautchilous

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Touring
I had a question…I currently have the stock 20” aero wheels on my touring trim…I am thinking on upgrading to a set of aftermarket 20” or maybe 21” wheels..Is there any special calibration needed if I change to a different set of wheels? On my Tesla , it had an option for 19” and a 21” config preprogrammed in the cars UI…I know the range will be lowered if I went to a 21” wheel setup..If I did that , will the car automatically calculate the range based on the larger wheel?

1. Based a very recent conversation I had with Lucid, they really don't want you to run aftermarket wheels on their vehicles, especially when it comes to warranty related issues. Personally I have a huge problem with that and that may be a deal breaker for me. Sure, there is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. But if they deny your warranty, you have to sue them first in order to get restitution.

2. If you are upgrading from (Front: 245/40R20, Rear: 265/40R20 rear) to (Front: 245/35R21, Rear: 265/35R21), The overall diameters and front rear differences are nearly identical to each other, thus no calibration shall be required. See attached.

3. Range is not just about the size of the wheels, but also the tires. Sticky summer performance tires will likely yield less range than all-seasons. Which is why the tires for the Sapphire is supposedly specially formulated to have some high efficient low rolling resistance compound mixed with some Cup 2 compounds.

Personally, I like to have at least 100mm of sidewall for ride comfort. So, I personally would sticking with the 20".

Attachments

• photo_2023-03-09_21-36-08.jpg
    photo_2023-03-09_21-36-08.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 95
Another consideration is available tires for the 20" versus 21".

Michelin Pilot Sport EV is available for the 20", where as with the 21" you will likely be limited to Pirelli P Zero (PZ4) at the moment. I would choose the Pilot Sport EV over the P Zero, though tire selection and availability may change in the future.

Back