Updates From Monterey Car Week

experiment458

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Dream P
DE Number
Last week, I was fortunate enough to be invited by Lucid to attend Monterey Car Week to see the unveiling of the new Air Sapphire! I had an incredible time and had the opportunity to speak with many people from Lucid including Peter Rawlinson (CEO/CTO), Derek Jenkins (SVP of Design), and Mike Bell (SVP of Software). Mike is a superstar in the world of software and hardware, working to bring products like the iPhone, iMac, AirPort, and Apple TV to life. I love software and spent a lot of time talking to Mike about the state of Lucid's software and future updates. The original architecture was built atop Android years ago and has proven to be slow and unreliable. Since Mike joined Lucid, he has been assembling a team of the best software and hardware engineers in the industry to rebuild Lucid's software architecture and bring it up to the standards of companies like Apple. A huge update is coming later this year that will reflect some of the work they have been doing. You will notice many UI and UX changes including:

- Right glass cockpit navigation moved to the left of the screen, closer to the driver
- Navigation directions on the right side of the center class cockpit screen
- Apple CarPlay
- Auto garage open/close

But the biggest changes imo will be behind the scenes. The system will boot up instantly. No more waiting to drive or switch profiles. Changes to how the car listens for key fobs to reduce battery drain of both the key and car when idle, etc.

There is also a lot of updates coming to Dream Drive. Lucid is taking a different approach when rolling out these updates compared to Tesla. They want to insure the system is safe and reliable. They will not roll out "Beta" driver assistance software to customers.

Speaking with Mike and everyone else at Lucid has made me much more confident in the future of their software and I can't wait for the big update later this year!

Last week, I was fortunate enough to be invited by Lucid to attend Monterey Car Week to see the unveiling of the new Air Sapphire! I had an incredible time and had the opportunity to speak with many people from Lucid including Peter Rawlinson (CEO/CTO), Derek Jenkins (SVP of Design), and Mike Bell (SVP of Software). Mike is a superstar in the world of software and hardware, working to bring products like the iPhone, iMac, AirPort, and Apple TV to life. I love software and spent a lot of time talking to Mike about the state of Lucid's software and future updates. The original architecture was built atop Android years ago and has proven to be slow and unreliable. Since Mike joined Lucid, he has been assembling a team of the best software and hardware engineers in the industry to rebuild Lucid's software architecture and bring it up to the standards of companies like Apple. A huge update is coming later this year that will reflect some of the work they have been doing. You will notice many UI and UX changes including:

- Right glass cockpit navigation moved to the left of the screen, closer to the driver
- Apple CarPlay
- Auto garage open/close

But the biggest changes imo will be behind the scenes. The system will boot up instantly. No more waiting to drive or switch profiles. Changes to how the car listens for key fobs to reduce battery drain of both the key and car when idle, etc.

There is also a lot of updates coming to Dream Drive. Lucid is taking a different approach when rolling out these updates compared to Tesla. They want to insure the system is safe and reliable. They will not roll out "Beta" driver assistance software to customers.

Speaking with Mike and everyone else at Lucid has made me much more confident in the future of their software and I can't wait for the big update later this year!
If they can pull this off, it will be epic.

Thanks for the update!

These are exciting updates, thank you for shring

Is the big rewrite not being built on Android (AAOS)?

- Apple CarPlay
- Auto garage open/close

Appreciate it. Was there any talk along the lines of production? (numbers, setbacks etc)

- Apple CarPlay
- Auto garage open/close

Speaking with Mike and everyone else at Lucid has I wish I could believe.made me much more confident in the future of their software and I can't wait for the big update later this year!
I wish I could believe. Why is Lucid keeping reservation holders in the dark and not contacting them for months at a time. Hopefully not a lot more corporate talk….

- Apple CarPlay
- Auto garage open/close

ohboyohboyohboy! Yeah you can’t create/rebuild awesome software overnight, but I’m sure it will be worth the wait. They’re not dummies, they know what’s good and what isn’t, and it will happen…

- Apple CarPlay
- Auto garage open/close

What about Android Auto? Not all of us have iPhones.

Also, why couldn't Rawlinson just tell us about the software and give us a timeframe???

Great update! Hopefully this is purely software limitations and not a hardware limitation. If the hardware was chosen years ago we could get limited to what the hardware is capable of. Fingers crossed it’s majority of bad software design initially.

What about Android Auto? Not all of us have iPhones.

Also, why couldn't Rawlinson just tell us about the software and give us a timeframe???
I think Rawlinson’s way of identifying software issues if by mentioning how many updates are released. He did mention in the last earnings call that a major update was coming later in the year

"The original architecture was built atop Android years ago and has proven to be slow and unreliable. "

So., Lucid management knew that the software was crap years ago and waited until now to fix it??

I also am concerned with the Apple-centric focus. I would expect the car should operate equally well with the Android phones.
My suspicion is that “carplay” is just a catchall term for both CarPlay and android auto.

So., Lucid management knew that the software was crap years ago and waited until now to fix it??
Sounds like it took a while to prove it ;)

"The original architecture was built atop Android years ago and has proven to be slow and unreliable. "

Note the “proven to be slow and unreliable.”

Without the scale and constant use, it isn’t totally clear they knew it was awful. Now, however, they’re well aware, and I suspect started a major rewrite post-deliveries starting.

My suspicion is that “carplay” is just a catchall term for both CarPlay and android auto.
Could be, but Volvo and Polestar, both also using AAOS, have recently released CarPlay with no indication of future Android Auto support.

Back