Unexpected Frunk Opening

Oh, man. I just hate that! This is the first that I have heard of this one. Sorry.

Today while parking and switching from drive to reverse, my frunk opened. I was not touching any screen so I did not accidentally ask it to open. Has anyone seen anything like this? Customer care is investigating.
Out of curiosity, did you have the fob with you at all? Was it in your pocket? This is a scary concern.

Wow and this is all over Stocktwits now but this definitely is extremely concerning. I am glad you were not driving and have contacted Service AND already received a response.

Haven't had this happen luckily. Extremely weird that it opened while the car was in motion.

I haven't had it open, but one of the things they're checking for me is the latching of the frunk. I was seeing alerts that the frunk was not completely closed after closing it. I'm wondering if there is may be a flaw in the latching system. It didn't sound like a tough fix when talking to the service manager, but it also didn't sound like it was unique.

I haven't had it open, but one of the things they're checking for me is the latching of the frunk. I was seeing alerts that the frunk was not completely closed after closing it. I'm wondering if there is may be a flaw in the latching system. It didn't sound like a tough fix when talking to the service manager, but it also didn't sound like it was unique.
Interesting - They replaced my frunk latches already in an attempt to resolve the false shock and tilt alarms thinking that the car was in neither a locked or unlocked state because of the front latches. It did not fix the false shock and tilt alarms. I think you are correct about a flaw in the frunk latches.

Interesting - They replaced my frunk latches already in an attempt to resolve the false shock and tilt alarms thinking that the car was in neither a locked or unlocked state because of the front latches. It did not fix the false shock and tilt alarms. I think you are correct about a flaw in the frunk latches.
Hmmm, More recalls? This is very serious imo to have it open in your face going 100MPH

Scottsdale service looked at this issue last week and could not recreate it. There are several safety systems that were all checked. The frunk has two sets of latches similar to most cars. They checked the key fob operations in drive and reverse even driving up to 2 mph. The car worked as it should and did not open the frunk in those conditions. If somehow the frunk latch is triggered while moving, the first latch may release but not the second latch and the car will throw a red triangle and put itself into park. The service team tested this scenario also although I am not sure how they created that scenario. In my original occurence, the frunk opened while switching from drive to reverse. Hence, I was stopped so the 2 mph limit was not preventing it from opening. Still it should not have opened while in either drive or reverse. All safety systems were checked and are working correctly. The bottom line is that there are several safety mechanisms to prevent the frunk from opening while in motion.

The only possiblity I can think is that somehow I bumped park reaching for the lever to put it in reverse while at the same time pinching the key fob in my pocket. It seems unlikely but I cannot say for sure that this did not happen.

I have had warnings that the frunk is not closed after it closes. Service coming to check it out on Monday

Will be interesting to find the issue. Somehow it looks like they may have messes up the molds for these items. Also the trunk motors could be an issue and perhaps even the Frunk.

I have had warnings that the frunk is not closed after it closes. Service coming to check it out on Monday
This seems to be a pretty common problem and an easy fix by the service center. One of the latches is not fully latching. I had it and I've seen a few others on the board who had it as well.

On the upside…at 100mph, I suspect it wouldn’t stay attached long enough to impede your vision.
A windshield of a brand new EV recently was smashed by an open hood. It was the dealer's fault and they owned up to it, offering to replace the windshield and repair the body damage. But there was a whole discussion about the car's depreciation and whether the owner should ask for new car instead.

A windshield of a brand new EV recently was smashed by an open hood. It was the dealer's fault and they owned up to it, offering to replace the windshield and repair the body damage. But there was a whole discussion about the car's depreciation and whether the owner should ask for new car instead.
A Lucid, if you say dealer it must be another company. Wow that would be crazy

It can be opened by the dealer. They must not have locked it properly.

Back