Turtle of Doom!

zkhan2

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air GT
Went into the car this morning ready to go on a long road trip. And then I get the "Drive System Warning, Contact Customer Care." Great way to start this long weekend. Looks like I will have to revert back to driving one of my ICE cars this weekend. The only thing I did differently than any other time was to set the charge limit to 100% since I was taking a road trip. Customer care said it will take up to 48 hours for a tech to schedule something. Seems a bit long and a waste of a weekend where the main event was me driving through Shenandoah National Park with the Lucid.

IMG_0411 copy.jpg

oh man! That sucks! Sorry to hear and hope it's something innocuous.

Went into the car this morning ready to go on a long road trip. And then I get the "Drive System Warning, Contact Customer Care." Great way to start this long weekend. Looks like I will have to revert back to driving one of my ICE cars this weekend. The only thing I did differently than any other time was to set the charge limit to 100% since I was taking a road trip. Customer care said it will take up to 48 hours for a tech to schedule something. Seems a bit long and a waste of a weekend where the main event was me driving through Shenandoah National Park with the Lucid.

View attachment 4407
I’ve received that exact same error on 3 occasions but the car actually drove fine and was cured by a soft reboot. Maybe try a valet card deep reboot? Or did you try that already?

I’ve received that exact same error on 3 occasions but the car actually drove fine and was cured by a soft reboot. Maybe try a valet card deep reboot? Or did you try that already?
Customer care only had me do a soft reboot twice.

This is from my service rep, who has been addressing any issues from day one:

I’m so sorry this happened to you. Since the vehicle is in turtle mode it limits your speed. This will be something where the vehicle would need to be transported down here to us in Richmond so we can really look into it and replace what is needed. Unfortunately it’s not something we would be able to do on a mobile visit since power cycling didn’t resolve the warning lights. We could get you setup with a rental but that sometimes can take the better part of a day. Let me know if you would like me to get a rental setup for you and also if we could have the car transported to us today and if not what day would work best for you?

I will try the valet reboot when I get back home later this morning, since I put my trip on hold a decided to stop by work.

Can you give me the steps to do the valet card reboot, I have not tried that yet, but have seen others do it on the forum.

Can you give me the steps to do the valet card reboot, I have not tried that yet, but have seen others do it on the forum.
For the Valet card, make sure you do NOT have the fob or phone anywhere near the car after you’ve opened the door (if it proximity senses them it won’t reboot properly). Then close the door and hold the valet card above the B pillar camera on the driver side, and the car will lock and shut down. Then go away from the car for 15 minutes and come back and unlock it with the fob. It may not work, but all 3 times I got that error it was a false alarm and the reboot cured it. Mine seemed to be caused by this complex toll radar assembly underneath this bridge near my job. The vehicle would first say “drive off alert unavailable” then would say drive system error contact customer service. Your problem may be different though as my car never got the turtle icon, just all the other alerts you have.

Sorry your trip got messed up by the car having issues.

For the Valet card, make sure you do NOT have the fob or phone anywhere near the car after you’ve opened the door (if it proximity senses them it won’t reboot properly). Then close the door and hold the valet card above the B pillar camera on the driver side, and the car will lock and shut down. Then go away from the car for 15 minutes and come back and unlock it with the fob. It may not work, but all 3 times I got that error it was a false alarm and the reboot cured it. Mine seemed to be caused by this complex toll radar assembly underneath this bridge near my job. The vehicle would first say “drive off alert unavailable” then would say drive system error contact customer service. Your problem may be different though as my car never got the turtle icon, just all the other alerts you have.

Sorry your trip got messed up by the car having issues.
Thank you for the detailed instructions, I will save it in my notes and try this as soon as I get home. If it works, I may cancel the tow truck driver, who is on their way from PA and will take the car to Richmond, VA.

I know what I bought into when I purchased this car and these types of issues will come with territory.

Thank you for the detailed instructions, I will save it in my notes and try this as soon as I get home. If it works, I may cancel the tow truck driver, who is on their way from PA and will take the car to Richmond, VA.

I know what I bought into when I purchased this car and these types of issues will come with territory.
Yeah man I hate that there are these issues, Lucid really does need to do better. But they do intend to do better and are working on it at least.

Yeah man I hate that there are these issues, Lucid really does need to do better. But they do intend to do better and are working on it at least.
No luck with the reset. Closed hauler came. The car barely moved as I depressed the accelerator and kept jumping back to park when I moved my foot off the pedal. They got it tucked in and it's off to Richmond.

View attachment 4407
Sorry this happened. I guess, as you may have already thought/consoled yourself: Better it happened in the comfort of your home, rather than in the middle of climb up a mountain.

Hope this gets resolved soon. And it does not spoil your long weekend. Cheers.

Sorry this happened to you.. luckily , you have another car to get you around. I just have the Lucid as my daily driver. If I ever have to take it in, they need to give me a loaner.

Sorry this happened to you.. luckily , you have another car to get you around. I just have the Lucid as my daily driver. If I ever have to take it in, they need to give me a loaner.
Even if you have another car they can still give you a loaner. My wife's Subaru is for driving the kid around when I'm at work and I need a separate car for work so they gave me a loaner both times my car was in the shop, no questions asked.

Even if you have another car they can still give you a loaner. My wife's Subaru is for driving the kid around when I'm at work and I need a separate car for work so they gave me a loaner both times my car was in the shop, no questions asked.
funny you say that, I have to take my car in for that firmware update thing and they were really giving me a hard time about a loaner... I had to really push to get one. They said the firmware is my responsibility even though the car has obvious issues that it doesn't let me know there is firmware upgrades to be done. This all started because I sent them a video on how the passenger climate control temperature is not in sync with the driver on the pilot screen and is different than the main console.

funny you say that, I have to take my car in for that firmware update thing and they were really giving me a hard time about a loaner... I had to really push to get one. They said the firmware is my responsibility even though the car has obvious issues that it doesn't let me know there is firmware upgrades to be done. This all started because I sent them a video on how the passenger climate control temperature is not in sync with the driver on the pilot screen and is different than the main console.
Wait what’s that video? There’s a bug where using the buttons for climate doesn’t update the passenger side when it pops up the temps briefly, but does actually work (if you look at it in the pilot panel). Is that what you mean?

They said the firmware is my responsibility even though the car has obvious issues that it doesn't let me know there is firmware upgrades to be done.
To keep the warranty in force, the owner must install updates within 30 days of the update being made available to them (that's in the owner's manual). Lucid is working under the assumption that their software distribution mechanism works 100% of the time. As you've stated, the car and app did not notify you updates were available. There are several owners that have reported being 2 or more releases behind what is currently available. Owners on this forum know they didn't get an update and ask for it to be pushed. What needs to start happening is owners report an issue to customer care that they are not getting notified of an OTA update. That's the issue. We need Lucid to start looking at their distribution methodology and realize that it is as unreliable as the rest of their software. Every update, there are owners that have to ask to have the update pushed to them because they didn't get the notification. We don't know whether Lucid attempted to turn the notification on or if we were missed somehow. Rather than ask for the push, owners need to start reporting it as an issue and ensure they are recording it as such rather than just accept that they are going to push the update to you.

For clarification, when the car or app notifies you an update is available or you ask for a push, the software isn't actually pushed to your car ready to be installed right? When you start the process, that's when the software starts getting downloaded to your car? Is Lucid just turning on a notification that tells you an update is available for download?

If Lucid is telling us that installing updates are our responsibility, they need to take responsibility for ensuring the notification is turned on. Feedback loop - I set the flag that turns on the notification, I check that the flag is set - if false, retry and if still false, notify human.

To keep the warranty in force, the owner must install updates within 30 days of the update being made available to them (that's in the owner's manual). Lucid is working under the assumption that their software distribution mechanism works 100% of the time. As you've stated, the car and app did not notify you updates were available. There are several owners that have reported being 2 or more releases behind what is currently available. Owners on this forum know they didn't get an update and ask for it to be pushed. What needs to start happening is owners report an issue to customer care that they are not getting notified of an OTA update. That's the issue. We need Lucid to start looking at their distribution methodology and realize that it is as unreliable as the rest of their software. Every update, there are owners that have to ask to have the update pushed to them because they didn't get the notification. We don't know whether Lucid attempted to turn the notification on or if we were missed somehow. Rather than ask for the push, owners need to start reporting it as an issue and ensure they are recording it as such rather than just accept that they are going to push the update to you.

For clarification, when the car or app notifies you an update is available or you ask for a push, the software isn't actually pushed to your car ready to be installed right? When you start the process, that's when the software starts getting downloaded to your car? Is Lucid just turning on a notification that tells you an update is available for download?

If Lucid is telling us that installing updates are our responsibility, they need to take responsibility for ensuring the notification is turned on. Feedback loop - I set the flag that turns on the notification, I check that the flag is set - if false, retry and if still false, notify human.
I've had some updates that would not install when I went through the process using my phone app. Someone here on the forum was able to let me know that when this happens, to try and initiate the update directly from the car. This did work, but I would have probably just ignored the update if someone didn't show a different way.

No, it’s downloaded before you get the notification. Starting the process actively installs it.

I wonder if people with bad connectivity (bad wifi, bad cell service) get the updates slower, or if they’re missed entirely because it just times out or fails?

I really hate seeing these posts. Service seems to be hit or miss in different areas, so I hope it’s good in your area. At bare minimum they should have immediately given you a good rental.

I really hate seeing these posts. Service seems to be hit or miss in different areas, so I hope it’s good in your area. At bare minimum they should have immediately given you a good rental.
Service here has been excellent and very responsive. I am even more impressed since the mobil tech is located in Richmond, 75-miles from me. They always schedule quickly and come on time. I did not need a rental so I declined their offer.

Back