Trunk (Decklid)

changenow

Cars
GT
I took delivery of my GT about two weeks ago and upon getting it home noticed that the trunk we misaligned, along with a couple other problems that appeared within a day or two. The trunk (decklid) sticks out on the passenger side and there is a gap that I imagine catches air and could interfere with the aerodynamics and drag coefficient of the car. They brought it to the Chicago service center to check out and to repair a couple of other issues the car had.

I was told that they were able to realign the trunk so it didn't stick out on the passenger side and that both sides were now the same. He was hedging a bit and stopped short of saying that both sides were aligned and things were perfect. The car was dropped off yesterday and the issues appear about the same or only slightly better. I was told that if it was sifted over anymore that the other side would stick out. I was told that many of the cars at the Chicago site had similar issues and the decklid doesn't appear to be a perfect fit, but they were told it is considered within the margin of error. They don't have a better fitting truck I was told so there is nothing that can be done. After owning four Teslas I was hoping for better fit and finish, even though I love my Lucid.

Has anyone else had this issue? I was told that it was pretty common.

Attachments

• truck before.jpg
    truck before.jpg
    1,001.6 KB · Views: 374
  • trunk after.jpg
    trunk after.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 392
Picture of mine for context

Attachments

• 75A7B649-B9F9-4BB3-B779-8C1CC21551C0.jpeg
    75A7B649-B9F9-4BB3-B779-8C1CC21551C0.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 261
Kinda worried I might have the same problem. Any thoughts? This what it is supposed to like like?
PXL_20220412_224256993.jpg

PXL_20220412_224302718.jpg

I guess I’m lucky mine is black so at least the gap will be harder to see, but yeah that’s not insignificant. My concern would be with the trunk seals eventually getting loose and leaking due to the air vortexes that will be created by that gap.

Looks like @changenow and @milgauss are both larger than @borski. I recall something about the early DE's trunk needing to be checked - any of those owners aware if this is the same issue?

I tried to re-create the same perspective as @borski. Doesn't look quite as bad from this angle.
PXL_20220412_230510587~2.jpg

I tried to re-create the same perspective as @borski. Doesn't look quite as bad from this angle.
View attachment 1544
In an earlier thread, a couple of the Dream owners (hydbob?) reported poorly hung trunk lids damaged the paint where the lid contacts the lower body. You should watch for that damage. It appears that lid has design problems.

My concerns beyond aesthetics are whether water might seep in or air might create pressure on that side of the car. I’m not an engineer so I don’t know. But my wife was the one that noticed the gap originally and she never notices anything so there is an aesthetic element to this too.

My concerns beyond aesthetics are whether water might seep in or air might create pressure on that side of the car. I’m not an engineer so I don’t know. But my wife was the one that noticed the gap originally and she never notices anything so there is an aesthetic element to this too.
Here's mine. However, the driver side is perfect.

Attachments

• 20220125_174626.jpg
    20220125_174626.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 192
  • 20220125_174647.jpg
    20220125_174647.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 188
Doesn't help that it's on my least favorite part of the car. Love the design... hate that trunk seam.

Mine looks the same. Doesn't bother me personally because it looks bigger from certain angles.

It was @Alex and @hmp10 that had the issue with the trunk scratching the bumper.

My driver side is perfect too. I was told if they adjusted the passenger side the driver side would not be perfect.
Yep, that's because the issue is not alignment (as was the case in the other posts). My understanding is the decklid is molded plastic. If it was metal, the old fashion hammer job would work. Can't imagine heating up the lid to adjust the shape!

I just checked mine...I didn't really notice a difference.

Kinda worried I might have the same problem. Any thoughts? This what it is supposed to like like?
View attachment 1541
View attachment 1542
I have noticed my trunk gap looks the same as yours on both sides. Did any SC people look at yours and give any feedback as to adjusting the trunk fit? I’m trying to understand if this is normal or a fixable situation.

I have noticed my trunk gap looks the same as yours on both sides. Did any SC people look at yours and give any feedback as to adjusting the trunk fit? I’m trying to understand if this is normal or a fixable situation.
They are coming to look at it in a couple weeks, I'll report back.

You can shift the deck lid back and make the gaps worse. Top edge is aligned so can't go up or down. Pivot on the mounting hinge will make the gap uneven around the back but possible to improve if the latch can be adjusted. My advice, stop looking at it. lol

I took delivery two days ago and reported trunk alignment issues on my “due list.” I was told by my delivery agent that it was something that can be easily adjusted. He made it sound like no big deal — something that would be easy to fix. There are other trim issues as well. Issues with cantrail alignment, door trim alignment and more. I’d appreciate hearing from others who have had these types of issues fixed. I was hoping the new execs would have implemented policies to catch this before delivery.

I took delivery two days ago and reported trunk alignment issues on my “due list.” I was told by my delivery agent that it was something that can be easily adjusted. He made it sound like no big deal — something that would be easy to fix. There are other trim issues as well. Issues with cantrail alignment, door trim alignment and more. I’d appreciate hearing from others who have had these types of issues fixed. I was hoping the new execs would have implemented policies to catch this before delivery.
Those were all trivially adjusted with mobile service for me. A few things required a quick service visit.

Reactions: cf7
Resurrecting an old threat to ask a question. Today my wife was unloading some packages from the trunk and I noticed her walking back & forth from the left side of the trunk to the right side. I asked her why and she said it seemed as if there was more of a gap on the passenger side than the driver's side. Upon examination I agreed, there is more of a gap on the right than the left.

I'm unsure if we simply missed this since delivery or if somehow it's a recent alignment issue (can that occur over time?). I've recently had two instances where the trunk either didn't close fully or opened part way, but these were rare occurrences. From what I see from borski's post, this is something that mobile can take car of. Either way, no rush, no big deal.

On an unrelated note, we had to go to the vet for our cat and the vet noticed the Lucid from one of the examining rooms. He asked me how I liked it and I told him it was unquestionably the best car I've ever owned. I said the only 'downside' is that rarely a day goes by where someone doesn't come up and ask about the car or rave about it (not really a downside ;)). No sooner did we leave the office when a car pulls up alongside of us at the light and motions to roll down the window. He asks me what kind of car that is and explains it's the most beautiful car he's ever seen. :)

Back