Touring 20s Launch Mode

Pax

Cars
Air Touring
Has anyone else with the Touring and 20" done launch mode? I tried 4 times so far and only one time it managed to go smoothly. The other three times involved varying amounts of front wheel slip from significant thunks to initial/gradual screeching.

Has anyone experienced similar? These are on default summer tires with the 20" wheels in approximately 40-55F weather. Hasn't been too warm here in California but not sure if the cold is that much of an issue.

I wonder if it's tire pressure related as it's noting 45 psi on all 4 tires on the app, and manual suggests 42 psi. Other than that, can't imagine anything else.

It's likely the temperature you're driving at. The stock 20" are summer tires and shouldn't be driven above 45F as it runs the risk of cracking. The optimal driving temperature is likely above that...50F+. Summer tires stiffen and lose traction when too cold.

I have a Touring with 19's and it launches with absolutely no issues in 30 degree Chicago weather, so I'm inclined to think its the 20s that are messing with your launch.

I have a Touring with 19's and it launches with absolutely no issues in 30 degree Chicago weather, so I'm inclined to think its the 20s that are messing with your launch.
I just relocated from Chicago to Seattle and was thinking about the 21's, but its more about the chemical structure and other cracks you wouldn t necessarily notice until its too late. It's regularly 40-50 degree in a Seattle "winter" but I wouldnt drive during the typical 0 to negative degree weather Chicago has. 30 is pushing the limit a bit, so just be careful not to stress the tires too much

It's the temperature. I drove the car for one day on 20" summer tires at ~40F when first delivered and noticed this as well. I then had Michelin all seasons put on the next day and it no longer had grip issues.

Has anyone else with the Touring and 20" done launch mode? I tried 4 times so far and only one time it managed to go smoothly. The other three times involved varying amounts of front wheel slip from significant thunks to initial/gradual screeching.

Has anyone experienced similar? These are on default summer tires with the 20" wheels in approximately 40-55F weather. Hasn't been too warm here in California but not sure if the cold is that much of an issue.

I wonder if it's tire pressure related as it's noting 45 psi on all 4 tires on the app, and manual suggests 42 psi. Other than that, can't imagine anything else.
Launch mode preconditions the battery. In cold weather this can take longer. Was the process complete?

Friends please heed the warning about "summer / performance" tires and temperature. As stated above you might be driving along just fine at ~40 Amerikan degrees ... then suddenly lose grip on a corner. I imagine with all the safety features it will not result in losing control, but it does happen and it can be without warning. This is a serious safety thing.

On 19" AS I lose grip exiting the neighborhood onto the highway...if the gap is small and I'm goosing the gas it will break on all four corners (which is kinda cool...if it weren't for traction control it would be a wild wild ride!) I have never been out of Smooth mode ( I don't see the need for more power - seriously - I am scared enough).

This has convinced me that I need a set of 21" summer tires before I try out Sprint, as Lucid recommends. I believe them.

Anyone else thinking about how scary EVs are ? The wicked torque and acceleration in the hands of a typical Amerikan driver ...

the horror ... and in 10 years everyone will have 3 second cars. Seriously ... we need to pull the ladder up on them.

The 19s absolutely squeal/slip for me in CA summer weather. You shouldn’t be launching on the 19s, even though traction control kicks in and keeps the car stable.

The 21s have no slip/squeal at all, but again, CA warm weather.

If he is german, then yes.

Ich bin ein jelly donut.

iu

Hopefully, you're doing launch mode away from intersections. The paint for limit lines and crosswalks will definitely cause slipping and squealing.

I have done 3 or 4 launches on my Touring with 20" wheels. Temps here were usually 40 to 50F. Traction loss was never a problem., just thrilling acceleration!

I have read a lot of warnings about summer tires and low temperature. IMHO, I really don't think the tires will suffer damage unless the ambient temps are around 30F or less. I had a Corvette for 7 years in KC and never damaged the tires driving some in 35F weather. Also, I had to drive my Touring home from Goose Island to KC when it was about 35F for some of the trip. Fortunately, no issues with damage.

Traction is a whole different story. I always felt the tires were squirrelly if it was less than 50F out. Definitely want to tread (pun intended) lightly under those conditions.

Pete

Launch mode preconditions the battery. In cold weather this can take longer. Was the process complete?
I believe it was complete, blue logo showed up and indicated ready for launch. No issue with power, though the tires did slip a decent bit.

I'm going to attribute it to being a little colder. One time was at an intersection where the pedestrian paint line probably played an issue (it was at an expressway at 2AM.. I'm responsible enough :p), though other times I think it was just due to colder weather. I'll wait till its a little warmer and try some more :D

Wait.. this might be a silly question but does the Touring have an official "launch" mode? I've been just putting it into Sprint, hitting OK on the popup, and flooring it from a stand still. Is there some sort of actual launch like holding down both the brake + gas that I'm not aware of? 🤔

Wait.. this might be a silly question but does the Touring have an official "launch" mode? I've been just putting it into Sprint, hitting OK on the popup, and flooring it from a stand still. Is there some sort of actual launch like holding down both the brake + gas that I'm not aware of? 🤔
Yes, all models have it.

Yes, all models have it.
@elusive7 Go to Sprint mode. Mash the brake pedal, and then the accelerator until the blue shows up to the left of your speedometer. It'll be a California bear with a checkered flag. Once that indicates you're good let go of the brake and hold on :)
Oh boy .. the weekend can't come sooner 😅 thanks guys!

Oh boy .. the weekend can't come sooner 😅 thanks guys!
Make sure to turn off all the safety controls to access launch mode. It’s not just a smash the brake and accelerator. If you don’t turn off the safety controls then it won’t let you enter launch mode and your car will try to move.

And my 20’s only slip near intersections and loose roads in launch mode.

Make sure to turn off all the safety controls to access launch mode. It’s not just a smash the brake and accelerator. If you don’t turn off the safety controls then it won’t let you enter launch mode and your car will try to move.

And my 20’s only slip near intersections and loose roads in launch mode.
Wait, what safety controls?

Back