Total shutdown. No roadside assistance.

Gil

Cars
Lucid Air
I’ve had my Lucid Air for six weeks, and I’ve been extremely happy. Until now.

While driving, I got an alarm and a warning that said “Battery Fault” and started a five-minute countdown. After five minutes, the warning changed to Drive Fault. I was on the side of the road, stuck. After a few minutes, the car went dark, no power at all.

I called Roadside Assistance. Someone answered after about two minutes. She asked for the number of the car, which was confusing (now I think she was asking for the VIN number?), and then transferred me to technical support.

I waited through music and recorded messages for 18 minutes, and no one answered.

(I got the car started again by going on line and finding a procedure for rebooting the car. Whether that worked or the car healed itself, I don’t know.)

Since then I’ve spoken to a tech-support representative, who could not say whether this was a known problem. I’m awaiting further information. I’m suddenly wondering whether Lucid is a viable company. It can’t be all right to be stuck on the road with a dead car and unable to get help from roadside assistance or technical support.

While driving, I got an alarm and a warning that said “Battery Fault” and started a five-minute countdown. After five minutes, the warning changed to Drive Fault. I was on the side of the road, stuck. After a few minutes, the car went dark, no power at all.

I called Roadside Assistance. Someone answered after about two minutes. She asked for the number of the car, which was confusing (now I think she was asking for the VIN number?), and then transferred me to technical support.

I waited through music and recorded messages for 18 minutes, and no one answered.

(I got the car started again by going on line and finding a procedure for rebooting the car. Whether that worked or the car healed itself, I don’t know.)

Since then I’ve spoken to a tech-support representative, who could not say whether this was a known problem. I’m awaiting further information. I’m suddenly wondering whether Lucid is a viable company. It can’t be all right to be stuck on the road with a dead car and unable to get help from roadside assistance or technical support.
My brand new (at the time) 2003 BMW M3 completely shut down and stranded me once on a busy freeway. A police car had to push me out of lanes to the side. Then, he nonchalantly drove off. I called roadside assistance. 2 1/2 hours later, a flatbed took my car. Due to the driver’s “insurance limitations” I had to wait on the side of the road for a taxi.

It turned out it was one of those “we’ve never seen this before” problems with a computer module.

My point is, sadly, these things happen. It doesn’t mean BMW or Lucid are not viable companies. Machines break. That’s why we have a warranty. Remember, we all chose a brand new company with no track record so the possibility of issues is higher. But even BMW (and every other car company) offers a warranty. Such would not be needed if things never, ever went wrong.

Enjoy the drive!

Sucks! Sorry it happened to you

Most likely, your HV battery and Wunderbox need replacing. I’d contact your nearest service center directly.

Roadside assistance shouldn’t have transferred you to technical support. Both are 24/7 though.

It's a difficult situation and a nerve-wracking incident. But I totally agree with Bobby, we all picked this new company and should expect the issues. I also had a situation but It's part and parcel of the new product, the ever-evolving software, and the expected teething issues of a new company. Tesla which has fewer known issues now had similar patchy experiences for early adopters.

I had a similar car dying experience but Lucid customer care was available and helpful. It took 2.5 hours to get a tow but customer care was on top of it and helped me figure out how to access the 12V battery. I ended up needing a new HV battery.

It's a difficult situation and a nerve-wracking incident. But I totally agree with Bobby, we all picked this new company and should expect the issues. I also had a situation but It's part and parcel of the new product, the ever-evolving software, and the expected teething issues of a new company. Tesla which has fewer known issues now had similar patchy experiences for early adopters.
"Shit happens" is probably terrific life advice, useful in many circumstances. I'm not sure it's a useful response in this context, to be honest. I'd be interested in knowing whether the Battery Fault and Drive Fault are known problems; what might trigger them; whether, at this moment, my car is safe to drive. Things like that. Thanks.

"Shit happens" is probably terrific life advice, useful in many circumstances. I'm not sure it's a useful response in this context, to be honest. I'd be interested in knowing whether the Battery Fault and Drive Fault are known problems; what might trigger them; whether, at this moment, my car is safe to drive. Things like that. Thanks.
Sorry this happened to you and yes it has been reported on this forum. It does not seem to be a widespread issue but it certainly has garnered a lot of attention and frustration for the individuals who have experienced it. I do not think Lucid has identified a recurring reason for cars experiencing a drive fault or battery fault error . Others may be more knowledgeable about this than me. I hope they remedy your situation promptly.

Only service can tell you if your car is safe to drive, but most likely you need an HV battery and/or Wunderbox replacement. You should contact service directly and set up an appointment to get it replaced. They’ll give you a rental while that happens.

You can either drive it to the nearest service center or have it towed; your preference. When this happened to me, I drove it to the service center after a reboot.

This is a “known issue” in that it’s been seen before, but the vast majority of owners will never run into it and it isn’t a consistent it widespread issue (at least, yet).

I disagree that we should have expected these issues.

Reactions: Bel
I disagree that we should have expected these issues.
If I could be honest, I didn’t expect these issues before I educated myself on this forum. Since reading the forum, many many months prior to receiving the car, I did make a decision to move forward knowing what the risks were.
So, in a sense, I agree with you that these failures should not be expected in a perfect world. Not having any experience with a high end EV prior to the Lucid, I had little to no clue about the potential for failures. Reading here and on other forums enlightened me to the complexity of these machines.
All we can do is keep supporting the owners who have troubles and be encouraging , because it is scary and frustrating for them and it could easily be one of us , as some of you know. Still worth keeping in mind, most folks seem to be doing well with the car and thankfully it is a low but not inconsequential number of unlucky few who experienced the brick.

Assuming the drive fault isn't a wide spread issue, this seems to be the bigger problem?
Being stranded is frustrating enough. Being stranded and unable to get prompt assistance is 10x worse.

It can’t be all right to be stuck on the road with a dead car and unable to get help from roadside assistance or technical support.
Yes, I agree that isn't right. Regardless of what make and model we drive, there is always the slight chance that we will end up at the side of the road. We just hope the odds stay in our favor. Roadside assistance is an outside company and apparently that person was not sufficiently trained to ask you clearly enough to get the information she needed to dispatch a tow truck. Transferring you certainly doesn't help get you off the road. I'm assuming what you call Tech Support is what Lucid calls Customer Care. I have to admit I've never called, I've always emailed or texted and they have been responsive within 10 minutes. I probably would have hung up, texted, and called them if they didn't call me because I wouldn't have trusted roadside assistance to have transferred me to the right number.

I would have customer care send a tow truck to pick up your car for servicing. I figure the odds are against me at that point.

The only positive out of your experience is that the warning to get someplace safe(r) worked and the car didn't just die immediately.

these anecdotes are scary and insightful at the same time. i recommend compiling a thread of all the known faults.

This happened to me to with my family in the car. I was fortunate enough to find a familiar exit off the interstate to park. My vehicle ended up in the service center and I was without the vehicle for approximately two weeks. Everything is running great now and it’s been 30+ days with no issues. I chalked the issue up as growing pains of a new company. The car is great but the responsiveness of the service team has to continue to improve in order to quell these types of concerns. I want to believe Lucid is going to improve in these areas. It’s just going to take some time.

This happened to me to with my family in the car. I was fortunate enough to find a familiar exit off the interstate to park. My vehicle ended up in the service center and I was without the vehicle for approximately two weeks. Everything is running great now and it’s been 30+ days with no issues. I chalked the issue up as growing pains of a new company. The car is great but the responsiveness of the service team has to continue to improve in order to quell these types of concerns. I want to believe Lucid is going to improve in these areas. It’s just going to take some time.
in scenarios like this, do lucid provide complementary temp car?

in scenarios like this, do lucid provide complementary temp car?
Yes. Lucid had Hertz contact me and provide me with a rental vehicle during the duration I was without my vehicle. You just have to follow-up with them about Hertz since there was a bit of a delay regarding the urgency of securing us a loaner.

My suggestion to Lucid was that they should send updates to a message inbox in our Lucid app providing daily updates to owners informing them of the status of their vehicle if and when it is in their service center. Most days, if I didn’t call to get an update I didn’t receive one which was frustrating.

This response might be a little late, but for others who may come across a similar situation, experiencing a total shutdown with no roadside assistance can be super frustrating, especially when you've been enjoying your Lucid Air for six weeks without any issues. Suddenly getting a "Battery Fault" and "Drive Fault" warning while driving must have been quite alarming.

I think the principal point of the OP is not that there was a failure in the car but that he was stranded without customer care answering the phone. As I read the post, it is a communications issue, not primarily that the car had a failure. As noted, feces happens with cars.

Back