toll transponder and other tidbits

Tay

Firstly, I placed a deposit for the Lucid back in 2019 and am presently waiting for my GT. I have been following the threads on this website for a while. I came across a concern about using the toll transponder on the windshield and so I expressed this issue with my contact person at Lucid. He sent the following attached photo explaining that they now have carved out a spot on the windshield to allow placement of the transponder. I thought this was a quick and nice solution.
Secondly, I am truly confuse by most of the banter regarding issues, mainly software ones. Everyone seems to make a comparison to Tesla and suggest that because Tesla has had issues, it is OK for Lucid to have problems. Not sure why Lucid, especially after all the buildup by Rawlinson, gets a free pass on problems for their car that is well over $100K. The car should be pretty close to perfect and to tolerate less is baffling. It is almost as if people are trying to justify paying a fortune for a car that is very imperfect. As if repeating over and over again how good it is erases all the issues or problems.
So as I get closer to getting my GT, my worries grow and I am more likely to throw in the towel and get a Mercedes EQS. At least I have a better idea about what I'm getting and the service available.
Don't misunderstand me, I want this car to be everything it was billed to be and I want to be happy with it. But when I hear of cheap plastic door handles on the inside, not being able to open the doors with the remote, how a lot of user interface options are not quite up to speed or activated yet, I have to be concerned. I don't worry much about the mileage and in no way expect it to be what is proposed to be. I realize that it will probably be close which is acceptable to me. That is simply to be expected.
Perhaps if I was a techie billionaire I wouldn't fret over all of this but unfortunately I am not.
1640364666697.png

Firstly, I placed a deposit for the Lucid back in 2019 and am presently waiting for my GT. I have been following the threads on this website for a while. I came across a concern about using the toll transponder on the windshield and so I expressed this issue with my contact person at Lucid. He sent the following attached photo explaining that they now have carved out a spot on the windshield to allow placement of the transponder. I thought this was a quick and nice solution.
Secondly, I am truly confuse by most of the banter regarding issues, mainly software ones. Everyone seems to make a comparison to Tesla and suggest that because Tesla has had issues, it is OK for Lucid to have problems. Not sure why Lucid, especially after all the buildup by Rawlinson, gets a free pass on problems for their car that is well over $100K. The car should be pretty close to perfect and to tolerate less is baffling. It is almost as if people are trying to justify paying a fortune for a car that is very imperfect. As if repeating over and over again how good it is erases all the issues or problems.
So as I get closer to getting my GT, my worries grow and I am more likely to throw in the towel and get a Mercedes EQS. At least I have a better idea about what I'm getting and the service available.
Don't misunderstand me, I want this car to be everything it was billed to be and I want to be happy with it. But when I hear of cheap plastic door handles on the inside, not being able to open the doors with the remote, how a lot of user interface options are not quite up to speed or activated yet, I have to be concerned. I don't worry much about the mileage and in no way expect it to be what is proposed to be. I realize that it will probably be close which is acceptable to me. That is simply to be expected.
Perhaps if I was a techie billionaire I wouldn't fret over all of this but unfortunately I am not.
View attachment 360
Tay, thanks so much for the info on the toll transponder. I initiated that thread.

View attachment 360

I don’t think people are trying to justify it as much as simply accept that it’s a brand new car, and the first iteration thereof. With the EQS, you’ll get just as many software issues, but you won’t get nearly as frequent OTA updates. Within this sector you’ll be hard-pressed to find a “perfect” vehicle because the luxury EV sector is really quite new. I think the Lucid is the closest *so far*, which is why so many are excited about it. And if it weren’t for OTA updates on the way, perhaps some people would hold off. That said, the issues described thus far have seemed, to me, quite minor; the important bits (the car and how it drives, etc.) have been spectacularly reviewed, even on this forum by current owners. The software can be updated, and I have no reason to believe it won’t be.

Good luck if you decide on the EQS (I mean it!) and perhaps a better idea for you may be to wait a year or two as the software updates come out and the sector gets more heat. ‍

I don’t think people are trying to justify it as much as simply accept that it’s a brand new car, and the first iteration thereof. With the EQS, you’ll get just as many software issues, but you won’t get nearly as frequent OTA updates. Within this sector you’ll be hard-pressed to find a “perfect” vehicle because the luxury EV sector is really quite new. I think the Lucid is the closest *so far*, which is why so many are excited about it. And if it weren’t for OTA updates on the way, perhaps some people would hold off. That said, the issues described thus far have seemed, to me, quite minor; the important bits (the car and how it drives, etc.) have been spectacularly reviewed, even on this forum by current owners. The software can be updated, and I have no reason to believe it won’t be.

Good luck if you decide on the EQS (I mean it!) and perhaps a better idea for you may be to wait a year or two as the software updates come out and the sector gets more heat. ‍
Borski echoes what my thoughts are.

The reason we are comparing to Tesla is we have extremely high confidence that Lucid will continue to provide OTA software updates to greatly improve the software experience. We know going into this that the DE would likely have 3/4 baked software.

The problem with something like an EQS is that the legacy manufacturers have shown time and again, despite many many promises that they do not understand OTA updates or giving any reasonable improvements in software post release.

The only thing I have ever seen is when my Taycan got the 2021 software, which only came with a single real improvement: Wireless carplay. (And this took 3 days at a dealer!) It still has no Android Auto, the navigation is practically useless (I can't see any turns ahead! No lane choosing assistance, and the next turn is really hard to see/understand).

Our last Ford only got garbage updates that actually made My For Touch run worse. We ultimately ended up buying a Sync 3 head unit because they refused to update, and just installed it ourselves.

For those who plan to use a radar/laser detector in the Air, the metallic coating on the windshield will block the antenna signals unless you have the detector in that area Tay indicated on the windshield, according to Zak Edson, the VP of Sales and Service. As that is not a practical area for such a detector, it would be best to plan for a remote radar/laser installation with antennas on the exterior of the car.

For those who plan to use a radar/laser detector in the Air, the metallic coating on the windshield will block the antenna signals unless you have the detector in that area Tay indicated on the windshield, according to Zak Edson, the VP of Sales and Service. As that is not a practical area for such a detector, it would be best to plan for a remote radar/laser installation with antennas on the exterior of the car.
Well then I guess I’ll put my Valentine radar up for sale.

I’m curious what purpose the metallic coating serves??

I’m curious what purpose the metallic coating serves??

I believe it's for infrared shielding, which is critical with that glass canopy. The UV shielding probably comes from the film laminated into the glass.

Regarding the door handles, what was the last car that had something that wasn't plastic? Also I'm not sure what they could have used for the door handles on the inside. The handle itself or the trigger mechanism to open the door? The trigger is plastic, the handle is probably plastic but it lined with the wood trim you get in other parts of the car.

The other issues are...expecting perfection is a fool's errand. Companies with much more experience and pedigree still cannot get things right or perfect out the gate even for products which are as expensive or more so relatively.

It seems Lucid has an expectation to be perfect, albeit, driven by Peter Rawlinson, but there is perfect and "perfect."
I would say that 99% of issues can be solved by software OTA.

Last edited:
Regarding the door handles, what was the last car that had something that wasn't plastic? Also I'm not sure what they could have used for the door handles on the inside. The handle itself or the trigger mechanism to open the door? The trigger is plastic, the handle is probably plastic but it lined with the wood trim you get in other parts of the car.

The other issues are...expecting perfection is a fool's errand. Companies with much more experience and pedigree still cannot get things right or perfect out the gate even for products which are as expensive or more so relatively.

It seems Lucid has an expectation to be perfect, albeit, driven by Peter Rawlinson, but there is perfect and "perfect."
I would say that 99% of issues can be solved by software OTA.
I actually found the interior handles fine. Specifically checked them out at the San Diego studio today due to the comments I had read. They did not feel like cheap plastic, such as on our Nissan Leaf. Overall, we thought the quality was excellent. It was actually the first time I was able to look and feel the car. When I was in LA over the summer, I could sit in it but not touch anything for whatever reason. They said nothing really worked as it was a preproduction vehicle.

View attachment 360
I am comparing this car to a Mercedes SL65 AMG and a BMW Alpine B7. High bars. I am not going to make excuses for the car. The drive train is excellent. Fit and finish, paint, materials, meet the expectation of a Luxury car. Lucid customer care has been very proactive, and while they won't provide details, indications are the next few software patches will fix many issues. The EQS looks like a porpoise. I would wait and see how quickly software updates roll out, and how effective they are. The build quality at least on my vehicle is very good. Once I can get in, it's fun to drive.

@borski echoed my thoughts. most of the issues i have read so far are related to software which can be fixed over the air. since Lucid is a new company, it may take them little bit more time to fix those issues but i'm hopeful.

After being soaked for overpriced replacement parts from Porsche I welcome a plastic handle that is out of sight. Only polished aluminum would not get wear marks from use. For me this will be a daily driver.

Back