Tinting in SW Florida

johgo

Cars
Lucid AGT
I am hoping to get delivery of a new AGT in Q4. I have read a lot about the air conditioning and am worried that in the hot summers here I may need tinting. Would love to hear what other owners have experienced....whether the A/C is sufficient? Whether tinting has helped reduce the solar heat. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

I am having mine tinted for heat resistance and wrapped next week. Will let you know how it helps with the heat. My car sits out every afternoon here in Naples and if I turn the air-conditioning on 15 minutes before I get in it is fine, but if the car is really hot it takes a long time to cool it down. Will let you know. It takes 8 days to have done. Should get it back week after next. Mike.

I live in Boca Raton, FL and received my AGT on August 19, 2022 that same afternoon had all the windows tinted. I believe that the tinting has significantly helped in keeping the car cooler. Luis

I am having mine tinted for heat resistance and wrapped next week. Will let you know how it helps with the heat. My car sits out every afternoon here in Naples and if I turn the air-conditioning on 15 minutes before I get in it is fine, but if the car is really hot it takes a long time to cool it down. Will let you know. It takes 8 days to have done. Should get it back week after next. Mike.
Thanks Mike, Let me know how it turns out. And let me know if you get together with other owners. I would drive down. Not aware of anyone up here. I am thinking of having it tinted and PPF'd as soon as I get it. I am outside in the sun for 3-4 hours in the morning when I play sports. By noon, it will be an oven when I get back in.

John

I live in Boca Raton, FL and received my AGT on August 19, 2022 that same afternoon had all the windows tinted. I believe that the tinting has significantly helped in keeping the car cooler. Luis
Thanks Luis,

What % tinting did you get? Did you do all windows and the roof?

Everything but the roof, at the time I felt there was no need and having the car now almost 2 months I feel I made the correct choice. As far as the % tinting it was 30.

Everything but the roof, at the time I felt there was no need and having the car now almost 2 months I feel I made the correct choice. As far as the % tinting it was 30.
Thanks Luis. Very helpful

Anytime…enjoy the car!

Thanks ....looking forward. I ordered silver and as you know, there is a big delay. It has been 10 months already!

I did the roof and windows in Boca Also roof reduced glare a lot lost some sky feel but eye comfort a big plus

I did the roof and windows in Boca Also roof reduced glare a lot lost some sky feel but eye comfort a big plus
Hi Bob,

Do you know what product they used or what percentage it blocks the sun? Thanks for the info
John

I got my car last week and have an appt to install tint on Thursday. I'm going with Llumar. Am curious what percent tint people got. Especially for the roof.

On my Model X, I got darker along the top of the windshield. As I recall, I did 70% light through on the windshield (max allowed by law for me) and did 50% on the upper part.

Ugly seam but I did it around the sunshades so hardly saw it. I don't like bright light so definitely needed it. I'm thinking of going even darker on this car. Like, limo tint at 20% light through.

30% light through or 30% tint?

They usually quote it as amount of light through.

I got my car last week and have an appt to install tint on Thursday. I'm going with Llumar. Am curious what percent tint people got. Especially for the roof.
I got Llumar Stratos on the the side and rear windows.

See here for before and after pics: Post in thread 'Quantum Grey Matte PPF' https://lucidowners.com/threads/quantum-grey-matte-ppf.1678/post-58931

I got 50% up front and 35% in the back. I had been thinking of putting 70% on the windshield but didn't for 2 reasons: the 70% has a blue hue while all the others are greyish, and my installer would have charged me an hourly rate and couldn't give me any solid timeframe because I was their first Lucid. I didn't want to potentially be on the hook for $1k+ for the windshield alone if it took them a few tries.

That looks great! Love the matte. I'm also a quantum gray so these reference pics are perfect.

I'm going to do 35 on the sides and back. Leaning toward 50 on the windshield but might do 70.

Will do 35 on the moonroof but trying to decide what to do on the top half of the windshield. I think the 35 combined with the tint already on the moonroof and the upper windshield, that should be pretty dark.

I've been researching the Stratos vs the Pinnacle. My prior experience is 3M Crystalline. The installer is recommending Pinnacle. He said Stratos is better but nearly double the cost. You obviously concluded Stratos. Any thoughts you want to share? I don't think it'll take much to push me to Stratos.

That looks great! Love the matte. I'm also a quantum gray so these reference pics are perfect.

I'm going to do 35 on the sides and back. Leaning toward 50 on the windshield but might do 70.

Will do 35 on the moonroof but trying to decide what to do on the top half of the windshield. I think the 35 combined with the tint already on the moonroof and the upper windshield, that should be pretty dark.

I've been researching the Stratos vs the Pinnacle. My prior experience is 3M Crystalline. The installer is recommending Pinnacle. He said Stratos is better but nearly double the cost. You obviously concluded Stratos. Any thoughts you want to share? I don't think it'll take much to push me to Stratos.
I wanted the best, which is why I went with Stratos. I wanted the max heat rejection, as I live in California. I can't remember the exact cost, but Stratos wasn't that much more than Pinnacle for the full car package (minus the windshield/moon roof). I think it was something like $825 vs $600 or so.

Just to follow up on this thread.

Did end up doing the Stratos. Told the installer others here were getting better pricing and he re-quoted it down to only 50% more expensive than Pinnacle. Thanks @Neurio.

35 VLT on the sides and back and top
50 on the windshield

Honestly, it feels about the same as the 3M Crystalline I've had done on all my other cars. I am not noticing a dramatic difference with what is considered a better product. I've always been pretty happy with my 3M and I'm happy with this. Just still not sure it was worth the extra money.

From a visibility, I'm in the mid-Atlantic region (so not FL, AZ, or CA). There is no meaningful loss of visibility day or night for either the sides or windshield to me at 35 and 50. Its just an overall improvement in the driving experience.

In hindsight, I should have gone with 20 for the moonroof and top half of windshield. They were already heavily tinted from the factory and I thought layering 35 on top of the existing tint would be enough.

In terms of heat rejection. I had the car for a week with no tint and tried to pay attention to what I felt. Reclined and took a nap at lunch one day while charging at the station. Could definitely feel the heat from the rear moonroof. I'd say a 4 on a scale of 1-10. My Tesla Model X without tint would have been a 7. With tint on the Model X was probably a 5. So I think Lucid has already done a nice job on the glass. Better than my 6 year old Tesla. I've heard more recent Tesla's have better glass and heat rejection.

With the newly installed tint, I did a similar test. turned off a AC on a sunny, 72 degree day and sat in the car for 10 minutes. It got warmer but stayed comfortable enough. I'd call it a 2 now in terms of heat I feel with the 35 VLT roof tint.

I also don't think the 35 tint negatively affects the open feel of the cabin at all. You still have clearly visible glass overhead. I may go back at put in 20 and you'd still be able to see through it no problem.

As a reference point though, we are the people that immediately install the mesh cover on the Model 3 which blocks most of the view. So if you love a wide open, unobstructed glass roof, I'm not your best reference.

Wow! Lots of useful information. Thanks everyone.

I was just notified that the car is in production so I may have a lot more questions.

I live in Sarasota and the car will be in West Palm Beach. Should I have any PPF or ceramic coatings and tinting done in West Palm before driving, or should I drive it across the state ... about 175 miles.... and have it done locally? Would prefer to use a local shop for lots of reasons but do not know what the risk of a 175 mile drive is

Well I have to say I had expel put on the car Plus 35% all the way around including the roof and windshield and the car definitely is more comfortable glare is greatly reduced and I like the look.... I live in Boca Raton Florida

I'm torn on the PPF. I did it on my Model X as EV's have a large, flat, front with no grill so I assumed it would be much more noticeable if it took a hit.

I just went to sell my Model X and none of the dealers, Carmax, or Carvana asked about it or cared when I told them I had it. It did not appear to increase the value of the car on resale.

I have put it on some exotics I've owned as I know people get very touchy about any paintwork on those.

I was quoted $900 just to wrap the front bumper. Pretty sure I can get a bumper re-painted for about the same price. PPF will protect it from a bunch of things but a large rock is still going to go through it. As noted above, I had it on my Model X and I still got a rock ding on the hood. Which Carmax did take note of and reduced their offer accordingly.

Window tint installation was much more reasonable in cost comparison to PPF and it dramatically improves my daily enjoyment of the car. So definite yes to window tint for me. Sitting out the PPF for this round so far. Though I may change my mind later.

Back