The waiting is the hardest part

AGTRAIN

Cars
Tesla Model S
Hi all, I’ve been an avid reader for months and you have taught me a lot. This is my first post. I am a reservation holder for an AGT, and am considering getting out of my Model S (which I like and credit for getting me into the EV world). But I’m looking for a step up and Lucid seems to be it for me.
However, I have some concerns that I’d like your help with.
1. the ground clearance seems low — I think I read it’s barely 5 inches. How does that work over bigger speed bumps? Does the car ever scrape over it?
2. The door clearance is low (evidently the Lucid is an inch or two lower in height than the MS). Although I had no problem getting in / out of the car at the studio, have your older passengers or anyone with a bad back had difficulty?
3. Are the 21 inch wheels durable? And is the added performance vs the 19 inch wheels worth the loss of range? I know that’s subjective but I’m just searching for the upside of getting the 21 inch wheels.

The software glitches I’ve read about here, while bothersome for sure, don’t concern me as much over the long run as long as the tech team is responsive and making rapid progress, which it seems like they are for most of you. Hoping it stays that way.

I’ll definitely take any suggestions you have when I go for the test drive (should be by end of January but haven’t heard yet). Thanks.

Of your list, the entry height might be the principal concern, if you are tall or have back compression issues. I am 6'2" and had to adjust how I entered my Lexus LS460 from my older LS400. Entering the DE is even tighter, so be prepared to adjust. Hopefully, it will work for you. I DEFINITELY would sit in a the vehicle in a studio well before you are asked to confirm your reservation.

Hi all, I’ve been an avid reader for months and you have taught me a lot. This is my first post. I am a reservation holder for an AGT, and am considering getting out of my Model S (which I like and credit for getting me into the EV world). But I’m looking for a step up and Lucid seems to be it for me.
However, I have some concerns that I’d like your help with.
1. the ground clearance seems low — I think I read it’s barely 5 inches. How does that work over bigger speed bumps? Does the car ever scrape over it?
2. The door clearance is low (evidently the Lucid is an inch or two lower in height than the MS). Although I had no problem getting in / out of the car at the studio, have your older passengers or anyone with a bad back had difficulty?
3. Are the 21 inch wheels durable? And is the added performance vs the 19 inch wheels worth the loss of range? I know that’s subjective but I’m just searching for the upside of getting the 21 inch wheels.

The software glitches I’ve read about here, while bothersome for sure, don’t concern me as much over the long run as long as the tech team is responsive and making rapid progress, which it seems like they are for most of you. Hoping it stays that way.

I’ll definitely take any suggestions you have when I go for the test drive (should be by end of January but haven’t heard yet). Thanks.

I am 5'11 - about to trade the S560 for a GT. We also own an Escalade, MYP, and GL450. Giving all our current cars are quite roomy & easy to get in & out, I bumped my head into the A pillar and roomline the first few times I tried to get into the Air, but after 10 min & an hour test drive, we got in & out with ease. The car is super roomy once you get in. Just the roof line is a bit lower than our S560.

I DEFINITELY would sit in a the vehicle in a studio well before you are asked to confirm your reservation.
Agree. I have hit my head as well getting in as well. I ‘used‘ to be 5’10” until gravity took its toll. But it is very roomy inside. I do love the feel and look.

At 5’11” I had no problem getting in and out. Perhaps because I have some muscle memory of even tighter openings like my Z8. Yes the door opening is a bit tighter than my old model S but not by much. As far as ground clearance I was initially concerned with the lack of air suspension but that has not really shown up on any current owners list of problems so it must be adequate. Remember you don’t have any of those hanging bits an ICE car has( exhaust, driveshaft, differential etc) that tend to hit first. As far as wheel durability I have my fingers crossed since I went with the 21s. I just did not like the look of the 19s. Very plain Jane and surprisingly uninspired. Good luck with the wait, I’m hoping for a March /April delivery so hopefully just 2/3 more months myself

I'm 6', I didn't hit my head only because of reading lucidowners.com

I haven't driven it yet, I hope I don't get the same sensation I did in corvette. I didn't get it in any Porsche car.

All very helpful comments — thank you! The big takeaway for me now will be making sure my wife comes along for the test drive. We’re not tall people but her back is sometimes a challenge. Glad to hear no issues with ground clearance (I always thought the suspension adjustment on the Tesla was a smart feature).

That's what surprised me Porsche for being a sports car didn't feel really low to the ground compared to Corvette.

All very helpful comments — thank you! The big takeaway for me now will be making sure my wife comes along for the test drive. We’re not tall people but her back is sometimes a challenge. Glad to hear no issues with ground clearance (I always thought the suspension adjustment on the Tesla was a smart feature).
I had the same thought process regarding wife. She has MS and also has had back surgery. She sat in car in studio and then on another day, joined me for test drive. She had no problem at all getting in or out and said it was much easier than our Tesla Model S.

Very good to know and glad she can enjoy the Lucid. Does your wife use or benefit from the Lucid feature which permits you to raise the seat, or is that more trouble than it’s worth given the low head room?

Very good to know and glad she can enjoy the Lucid. Does your wife use or benefit from the Lucid feature which permits you to raise the seat, or is that more trouble than it’s worth given the low head room?
We have an AGT on order so do not have car to try the seat adjustments but I don't think she'll need anything special. There was a thread on this site somewhere that talked about the current lack of an enter/exit mode to move the driver's seat.

Although I was worried about it at first, ground clearance hasn't been a problem for me. The car has cleared every speed bump, and it has also cleared every concrete parking stop. (The front camera let's you know where the parking stop is, but I have inched over a few by getting too bold.) Some cars look like they have more front ground clearance than the Air, but they have blacked-out air foils underneath that still hit. The Air seems to have no such protrusion that will catch you unaware.

The roof rails are the lowest I can remember in a car. Even our Model S Plaid has a bit more clearance for heads. However, I've gotten used to it and get in and out without bumping my head or having to think about it. Getting into and out of the rear is trickier, and friends who have only been in the car once or twice still hit their heads unless I remember to warn them.

The biggest problem the front rails now cause me is that they make it hard to reach the armrest to pull the door closed or to push the door all the way open. Reaching as far as I can to push the door open, it stops just short of the last detent and starts to close again, sometimes stopping at the next detent and sometimes not. I've had to kick the door open a few times as it started to close on me while climbing out. Fortunately, the beige storage pocket hasn't yet picked up shoe scuffs. LUCID -- WE NEED THOSE POWER-OPERATED DOORS YOU TEASED.

Back