The nuclear reboot

Bunnylebowski

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT Black/Tahoe/19"
Here’s some info about the nuclear reboot I learned that I should share with all owners:

-Lucid is unhappy this information got out, so I’m not going to repeat or post the method and I hope any description of it has been scrubbed from the forum. Just go about your merry day as if it doesn’t exist.

-I was unable to reboot my car recently via turn signal, valet card or locking the car methods, the car wouldn’t turn off at all, so I did the nuclear reboot. What you should do instead and what I should have done instead, is text service that it’s urgent and they can do a remote reboot for you. This is the way. They’re there for a reason and they will help you.

-One big problem with the nuclear reboot is it wipes some of the memory and data, potentially making it much harder for service to troubleshoot problems. While the car is heavily cloud connected, not all data and logs survive the doom reboot, so using it could potentially set back your service diagnosis if you need it. The reboot actually can damage the vehicle too, so again if you need a reboot and can’t reboot, text service.

Here’s some info about the nuclear reboot I learned that I should share with all owners:

-Lucid is unhappy this information got out, so I’m not going to repeat or post the method and I hope any description of it has been scrubbed from the forum. Just go about your merry day as if it doesn’t exist.

-I was unable to reboot my car recently via turn signal, valet card or locking the car methods, the car wouldn’t turn off at all, so I did the nuclear reboot. What you should do instead and what I should have done instead, is text service that it’s urgent and they can do a remote reboot for you. This is the way. They’re there for a reason and they will help you.

-One big problem with the nuclear reboot is it wipes some of the memory and data, potentially making it much harder for service to troubleshoot problems. While the car is heavily cloud connected, not all data and logs survive the doom reboot, so using it could potentially set back your service diagnosis if you need it. The reboot actually can damage the vehicle too, so again if you need a reboot and can’t reboot, text service.
Good to know Thanks.

If it exists, it can be stumbled upon...

The reboot actually can damage the vehicle too
I would like to know how/why it can damage your vehicle? Maybe it takes power away for a while and some modules don’t like that? In any case, it would be a poorly designed system which could cause a catastrophic failure. I don’t think the designers were that ignorant.

I would like to know how/why it can damage your vehicle? Maybe it takes power away for a while and some modules don’t like that? In any case, it would be a poorly designed system which could cause a catastrophic failure. I don’t think the designers were that ignorant.
It’s there for service to use under a certain set of controlled conditions. The way it can damage the vehicle is by essentially pulling the entire infotainment plug while it was writing/recording data or uploading to the cloud or downloading from the cloud. It’s why your PS5 says don’t disconnect power until the light stops flashing, etc. It also erases some data from memory that could be useful for service to troubleshoot events, as was my case.

Lucid really needs to implement a "Tesla Style" double thumb wheel or "Rivian Style" thumb wheel and hazard button safe reboot method. Getting out of the vehicle, locking with keycard, etc just ain't cutting it! In a perfect world, the vehicle shouldn't need so many frequent reboots.

I don’t have any sympathy for Lucid over this. Maybe the valet reset should’ve been the method used under certain circumstances and the one you’re speaking of be the normal reset.

Instead, they made it easier for themselves to reset the car and the most ridiculous procedure for owners. If it’s so bad they can easily change the sequence via a software update.

This seems a perfect example of Lucid’s ongoing failure to communicate with owners. If there’s something they urgently want us to know—something users are doing that could “damage the vehicle”—does it make sense for them to send a message by Bunnylebowski Express? (No offense, Bunny! Better you than the rest of us, I’m sure.)

If there’s really a reboot procedure that can damage the vehicle, I would suggest that they disable it via software forthwith. Meanwhile, they need to provide a legitimate Approved method for resetting the electronics without leaving the car, because users (on the evidence of these forums) often have a need to do that. Tesla has had a simple reboot procedure for at least six years, in the manual and everything.

[P.S. I too have used the now-forbidden reboot method and was told by service that I really oughtn’t have done that.]

This seems a perfect example of Lucid’s ongoing failure to communicate with owners. If there’s something they urgently want us to know—something users are doing that could “damage the vehicle”—does it make sense for them to send a message by Bunnylebowski Express? (No offense, Bunny! Better you than the rest of us, I’m sure.)

If there’s really a reboot procedure that can damage the vehicle, I would suggest that they disable it via software forthwith. Meanwhile, they need to provide a legitimate Approved method for resetting the electronics without leaving the car, because users (on the evidence of these forums) often have a need to do that. Tesla has had a simple reboot procedure for at least six years, in the manual and everything.

[P.S. I too have used the now-forbidden reboot method and was told by service that I really oughtn’t have done that.]
They did here

Post in thread 'Soft & Hard Reset Procedures repository' https://lucidowners.com/threads/soft-hard-reset-procedures-repository.886/post-94082

In the absence of further official communication or documentation about resets, I'm going to propose a theory, which should be considered entirely unreliable:

Apart from the forbidden reboot, ALL the reset procedures (the valet-card, the Bobby, the turn-signal ... I can't keep track), are in fact the same procedure. Namely: power down the car.

It doesn't matter how you do it. Get out, stay in, either way. Lock the doors. Wait. The turn signal has no function except to let you know when the car has powered down.

Apart from the forbidden reboot, ALL the reset procedures (the valet-card, the Bobby, the turn-signal ... I can't keep track), are in fact the same procedure. Namely: power down the car.

It doesn't matter how you do it. Get out, stay in, either way. Lock the doors. Wait. The turn signal has no function except to let you know when the car has powered down.
That is correct except for the Bobby reset, which is a side effect of the way Android Auto swaps profiles.

Back