Test Drive Experience

muhanadkais

Cars
Lucid
I have gotten a chance to test drive the Lucid GT and here is my feedback:

1. The car looks gorgeous from the outside and inside.
  2. I was concerned about the suspension compared to the air suspension that Tesla has but actually, it was excellent and I liked it more than the air suspension.
  3. The message feature is just amazing
  4. The Tahoe interior looks fabulous.
  5. I did not like the driving modes as I would like to be in Sprint mode with a regular suspension setting (not a stiff) all the time
  6. the screen and software were lagging but they mentioned this could be fixed with v2.0
  7. The Lucid HomeLink is way behind. It does not have the location service to open/close the garage door while approaching at pre-selected feet from the home.
  8. A lot of plastic squeaks were coming from the steering wheel while driving and turning!
  9. The plastic materials for the cup holder had a lot of scratches. They need to change the plastic material that was used.
  10. The door handle felt very flimsy.
  11. The charging gate is not well-engineered. It can be tilted by hand and it may scratch the paint while opening.
  12. The wireless charger station is useless. There is no way to charge any iPhone with an Apple case. This needs to be redesigned.
  13. The front motor is loud compared to other EVs.
I hope they will have DD Pro included in all Lucid versions until they develop the software.

The car overall is great and my negative feedback above is for Lucid to address to beat all other competitors.

Software 2.0 addresses the speed and lag issues entirely, and it’s on its way out.

The Lucid HomeLink is way behind. It does not have the location service to open/close the garage door while approaching at pre-selected feet from the home.
It is geofenced; not sure who told you that. It won’t automatically open the door, but it does pop up the option for you to tap when you approach your home.

A lot of plastic squeaks were coming from the steering wheel while driving and turning!
This is a supply chain issue where the manufacturer had poor tolerances for some wheels. *If* your steering wheel has any creaks or squeaks, service has a quick workaround they can fix it with.

The door handle felt very flimsy.
How so? I’ve found mine very solid.

The charging gate is not well-engineered. It can be tilted by hand and it may scratch the paint while opening.
It’s padded; shouldn’t scratch the paint at all.

The wireless charger station is useless. There is no way to charge any iPhone with an Apple case. This needs to be redesigned.
Works perfectly fine with an iPhone in an Apple case (I use it this way). It does *not* work well with Max-sized phones, and this is admittedly my least favorite part of the car; I am told a future redesign is coming.

Software 2.0 addresses the speed and lag issues entirely, and it’s on its way out.

It is geofenced; not sure who told you that. It won’t automatically open the door, but it does pop up the option for you to tap when you approach your home.

This is a supply chain issue where the manufacturer had poor tolerances for some wheels. *If* your steering wheel has any creaks or squeaks, service has a quick workaround they can fix it with.

How so? I’ve found mine very solid.

It’s padded; shouldn’t scratch the paint at all.

Works perfectly fine with an iPhone in an Apple case (I use it this way). It does *not* work well with Max-sized phones, and this is admittedly my least favorite part of the car; I am told a future redesign is coming.
Thank you Borski for the reply!
I would like to have an option to let the car open/close the garage door when approaching/leaving without any driver input. I think this can be done by software.
For the creaks or squeaks in the steering wheel, I felt this was caused by the plastic itself located right behind the steering wheel and not by the poor assembly.
For the door handle, do you think the production cars will have better handles?
I know the charging gate is padded but what do you think will happen if it contaminates some dirt or tiny particles in future?
My iPhone was the Max and I could not get it to charge at all but it was able to charge a smaller iPhone without a case. I agree with 100% about replacing this with new design.

I would like to have an option to let the car open/close the garage door when approaching/leaving without any driver input. I think this can be done by software.
For the creaks or squeaks in the steering wheel, I felt this was caused by the plastic itself located right behind the steering wheel and not by the poor assembly.
I know the charging gate is padded but what do you think will happen if it contaminates some dirt or tiny particles in future?
My iPhone was the Max and I could not get it to charge at all but it was able to charge a smaller iPhone without a case. I agree with 100% about replacing this with new design.
Charging port has been fine. Never even considered it scratching the car at all from the design.

I just got my car last week so a relatively recent build.

My handle doesn't feel flimsy. It just feels odd to me. It feels like it's by wire trying to mimic mechanical. Not sure I'm describing it properly. There is no re-assuring latch release but it moves more than something I'd expect to be electronic. My Model X wasn't a great system either. Push and click and then door releases. I don't like the Model S extending handle either.

I think I understand what you mean by flimsy feel. I actually think it's made well and doing what it's supposed to do. I'm just not sure I like what they've created. All that said, it doesn't bother me that much.

As for the phone. I have the 14 Pro Max with a very thin MagSafe case (Pitaka). It works pretty well once you find the sweet spot. Someone on this forum suggested not pushing it down too far. The spot seems to be right about where the camera protrusion is. I push down until that protrusion, give it a second or two, and it starts to charge.

If you go any further down, I think the camera causes it to separate from the charging pad so it won't connect. Too high and you haven't hit it.

What caught me out was it takes it a second or two in that spot. First few times, I kept adjusting it and it wouldn't start charging. I took the phone out of the case, found the spot, but it back in the case, and it's been 100% since then.

I just got my car last week so a relatively recent build.

My handle doesn't feel flimsy. It just feels odd to me. It feels like it's by wire trying to mimic mechanical. Not sure I'm describing it properly. There is no re-assuring latch release but it moves more than something I'd expect to be electronic. My Model X wasn't a great system either. Push and click and then door releases. I don't like the Model S extending handle either.

I think I understand what you mean by flimsy feel. I actually think it's made well and doing what it's supposed to do. I'm just not sure I like what they've created. All that said, it doesn't bother me that much.

As for the phone. I have the 14 Pro Max with a very thin MagSafe case (Pitaka). It works pretty well once you find the sweet spot. Someone on this forum suggested not pushing it down too far. The spot seems to be right about where the camera protrusion is. I push down until that protrusion, give it a second or two, and it starts to charge.

If you go any further down, I think the camera causes it to separate from the charging pad so it won't connect. Too high and you haven't hit it.

What caught me out was it takes it a second or two in that spot. First few times, I kept adjusting it and it wouldn't start charging. I took the phone out of the case, found the spot, but it back in the case, and it's been 100% since then.
What about the plastic around the cup holders? I noticed a lot of scratches in the demo car!

I hope Lucid will re-design the wireless charger before delivering mine.

Thank you all!

What about the plastic around the cup holders? I noticed a lot of scratches in the demo car!

Thank you all!
Honest question here, but it's just a cup holder. What's the big deal about getting scratches on it? Also, are there any demo cars where people treat them like their own vehicle? They typically take way more abuse than people do to their own cars.

Thank you all!
Ha. Funny you should mention that. I’ve already scuffed mine. That’s the other problem with pushing the camera protrusion too far down. It dinged the plastic surface.

I assume that’s the same area you’re talking about. Between the cell phone charging area and the cup holder.

It appears they’re using a plastic that’s too soft there.

@muhanadkais
Garage door, community gate door are all Geo-fenced. When you approached any geo-fenced location, it will let you choose which door to open, some people have multiple garage doors, just need to select to open 1 of them, not all them. Lucid each profile can remember 50 doors is what I’ve read somewhere.

For the squeaky steering wheel, it never happened to me, I have 3400 miles. And I don’t hear too many talk about it, even they do, Service Center happy to assist them. You must read that somewhere making claim.

Door handle is a trigger design, I don’t know what flimsiness you’re talking about. It is solid to me, to override soft open for mechanical open, you have to pull trigger real hard, certainly no flimsiness there.

Charging port door is well designed and tight. I don’t know what you mean by dirts will get inside.

The phone wouldn’t fit the wireless charging shell, it needs phone take out of casing to charge. I agree it is a design flaw, but not a deal breaker with USB-C ports.
I hope they will have DD Pro included in all Lucid versions until they develop the software.

The car overall is great and my negative feedback above is for Lucid to address to beat all other competitors.

I don’t know how you can complain about HomeLink feature after your test drive. The sales must be very generous to let you drive home to program your remote control. DD is included in all Lucid trims, not everyone needs semi-autonomous driving feature and advanced Lidar system. If you are looking for a perfect car, just come back to troll this forum in a few years. A car can always improve, but never be perfect.

Back