Tesla Profits 3 Billion Quarter 1 2022

Seems like Tesla is well positioned to ride out the shortages now and in the coming years. They’re able to quickly adapt when chips aren’t available by rewriting software on the fly which is something the old automakers just aren’t good at doing. Not sure how Lucid will handle this when the time comes.

Tesla has also been stocking up on lithium and buying our entire mines etc to avoid battery production disruptions. As Rivian has pointed out, they’re going to be hit by battery shortages with the big boys snapping everything up leaving the small players in the dust.

It’s going to be interesting how this is all going to impact Lucid in the months, years to come.

Can Tesla keep up the demand with all the price increases is what I am eager to see.

Tesla seems to be one of the very few who can up prices, add things, take them away and don’t really suffer backlash. We all saw what happened to Rivian when they thought they could act like Tesla…. Lol

I really truly believe the demand for Tesla in the coming years will dramatically decrease unless they innovate something else. With all the new EV offerings I think people are stretching to come up with reasons Teslas are worth the money. The SuperCharger network will no longer be a draw, especially if it gets opened up to the public.

I really truly believe the demand for Tesla in the coming years will dramatically decrease unless they innovate something else. With all the new EV offerings I think people are stretching to come up with reasons Teslas are worth the money. The SuperCharger network will no longer be a draw, especially if it gets opened up to the public.
I doubt the Supercharger network is going to be opened up in the US. This would require Tesla to install new cables / adapters at all it’s Superchargers because any adapter anyone makes to convert it to work on the Tesla plug probably won’t be able to go over 50Kw for risk of fire. It’s different in the rest of the world where the Supercharger network is CCS. So I don’t see what’s in it for Tesla to spend money on upgrading its network to support other cars.

They’ve got the Cybertruck coming and the Semi and they’re still one of the most efficient EV’s on the market. Nothing seems to come close in beating Tesla’s efficiency. Lucid is now on par with them but it’s a different price segment compared to the Model 3 & Y. Keep in mind that these cars are selling without federal tax incentives so clearly people still want them over the competition.

Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t see them getting knocked off the totem pole anytime soon.

I doubt the Supercharger network is going to be opened up in the US. This would require Tesla to install new cables / adapters at all it’s Superchargers because any adapter anyone makes to convert it to work on the Tesla plug probably won’t be able to go over 50Kw for risk of fire. It’s different in the rest of the world where the Supercharger network is CCS. So I don’t see what’s in it for Tesla to spend money on upgrading its network to support other cars.

They’ve got the Cybertruck coming and the Semi and they’re still one of the most efficient EV’s on the market. Nothing seems to come close in beating Tesla’s efficiency. Lucid is now on par with them but it’s a different price segment compared to the Model 3 & Y. Keep in mind that these cars are selling without federal tax incentives so clearly people still want them over the competition.

Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t see them getting knocked off the totem pole anytime soon.
Tesla tried to get that sweet sweet government money in Texas. They had a plan to convert/build new chargers with CCS adapaters and got shot down. They are trying because why not tap into that $7.5 billion available for charging network?

As EVs become more mainstream, no one will give a rat's ass about efficiency either. Look at how well the Ioniq5 and EV6 are doing in sales. As the rest of the legacies catch up, Tesla no longer has the advantage. Before Tesla was the only "well" built EV, but now not so much. Reputation will not carry them unless they change.

They are still fulfilling reservations made before all the price increases, what would be interesting to see is how many new people reserving at higher prices while having many alternatives now.

In other countries they have multiple cables, one that is the proprietary Tesla connector and one that is CCS. My guess is they will open it up to the public, because they want to tap into that infrastructure federal cash.

I think they confirmed on the earnings call they will open up the charging network in the US. I think the timeline is unclear because:
-unlike in Europe, where it would just be changing some lines of code, in theory, to make all superchargers accessible to all EVs, in the US there would need to be physical changes to superchargers due to the different connectors. I think they have already said that an adapter approach is not desirable or not possible….not sure if this is due to safety, performance, convenience etc.
-they want to make sure they have the capacity for future volumes of both Tesla and non-Tesla cars. This seems to be an issue because according to them, although they are growing the # of superchargers at 33% per year, which sounds like a lot, they are increasing car production 50% per year (last year was more like 80% or 90%).

Seems like they need to build way more stations than they are. My guess is that any “opening up” would be incremental. Perhaps new stations beginning a certain date would be dual cable and then existing stations would be converted on a case-by-case basis based on local usage stats.

Back