tell me about traction control

coma24

Verified Owner
Reaction score
Cars
Air GT, Honda S2K AP1
Watched this video:
, lap 1 is with TC on full, lap 2 is with it 'disabled', although there are 3 modes so I'm not 100% sure which of the two lower modes they used. In any case, during the very first lap, the driver pointed out the understeer being caused by TC and was certain it would be faster without it. Sure enough, the second lap is a screamer.

I am not a professional driver by any stretch of the imagination. I appreciate a nice, smooth line through a corner, but beyond that, the notion of taking down the guard rails is not a decision I'd make lightly. I'd ideally take the car to a track to wring it out in both modes, but until that time comes, can someone provide some guidance on the outcome of dialing down the TC if you are enjoying spirited cornering through windy mountain roads? I notice that during Ben Collins' drives (The Stig from Top Gear years ago), he would use launch mode (which obviously requires TC to be on), then dial it down one level and complete the rest of the drive.

Is this something generally only recommended for true pro-level drivers?

In the mean time, I'm going to look at what track options exist within a 3hr radius.

There's a line at 15:10, he says it's much better (and the front passenger notices, too) because it's no longer trying to "save you, when there is nothing you need saving from."

My sense is that it allows you to drive closer to the limits, going just beyond the point where full TC would've kicked in. It appears that he's noticing it most during the acceleration out of corners.

I’m on the far opposite of a pro driver.

I’ve tried it on full, partial, and off.

Partial feels safe and i get some excitement around corners.

Back