Spend 16k to save $7,500

Bnwbaron

Verified Owner
Cars
Touring
Heads up-Contrary to the original Lucid statement, one has to complete the Lucid purchase in 2022 to get the $7,500 tax credit. Complicating the matter is the fact that if you are buying a Touring model (like I planned), you MUST get it loaded (if you want it in time for the tax credit). The situation means I would spend 16k on Dream Drive, surround sound, and glass roof to get the $7,500 tax credit, and I don’t want any of those options. That killed the deal for me, so I am letting the reservation go and getting a deposit refund.

I still have a deposit on the Air Pure. I lose the tax credit, but hopefully I can get the options I want as opposed to having them dictated.

Lucid didn't change the Federal tax credit, so want do you want them?

Lucid didn't change the Federal tax credit, so want do you want them?
I think he is referring to the confirmed order prior to new EV bill that people are hoping would qualify even if delivered in 2023. It doesnt sound like he is blaming Lucid, just stating the facts that customers are pressured to get a fully loaded car to get the EV credit.

Heads up-Contrary to the original Lucid statement, one has to complete the Lucid purchase in 2022 to get the $7,500 tax credit. Complicating the matter is the fact that if you are buying a Touring model (like I planned), you MUST get it loaded (if you want it in time for the tax credit). The situation means I would spend 16k on Dream Drive, surround sound, and glass roof to get the $7,500 tax credit, and I don’t want any of those options. That killed the deal for me, so I am letting the reservation go and getting a deposit refund.

I still have a deposit on the Air Pure. I lose the tax credit, but hopefully I can get the options I want as opposed to having them dictated.
I was in this situation too. I ended up canceling my Touring order and getting a refund. I had a decent chance to get a fully loaded Touring by EOY, but even with me getting the EV credit it's still $10k extra. Going with a fully loaded Pure instead hoping for EOY delivery but not expecting it.

Or you can see it this way: spend $8,500 and get $16k worth of content! What a deal!

Or you can see it this way: spend $8,500 and get $16k worth of content! What a deal!
I know, Bobby. It was a tough decision for exactly what you say. I had legacy pricing, too. But it was just getting a little out of hand :).

I think he is referring to the confirmed order prior to new EV bill that people are hoping would qualify even if delivered in 2023. It doesnt sound like he is blaming Lucid, just stating the facts that customers are pressured to get a fully loaded car to get the EV credit.

I was in this situation too. I ended up canceling my Touring order and getting a refund. I had a decent chance to get a fully loaded Touring by EOY, but even with me getting the EV credit it's still $10k extra. Going with a fully loaded Pure instead hoping for EOY delivery but not expecting it.
Yep. Exact same scenario. Good luck to you.

I was already planning on getting the glass roof.
4,500 net cost to get dream drive pro / pro sound package seems reasonable I guess
Biggest trade-off for me is Santa Cruz interior vs Mojave...

Just order the car the way you want it and wait on it. I did that on my second order and will sell the first when the second one arrives.

Just order the car the way you want it and wait on it. I did that on my second order and will sell the first when the second one arrives.
Are you confident you can sell it for at least what you paid for?

Well, I assume I will use the car for several months and at least 5000 miles, so I'm sure it will cost me something. But the new ones cost $13,000 more and probably won't qualify for the $7500 tax credit as I'm hoping the first one will for me, so I'm willing to roll the dice, especially since I have no sales tax burden with the purchase. It may cost me money, or I may end up making some money. I think the Touring model at the old price is a fairly good value play. The high base price of the GT unfortunately priced itself out of a large enough pool of potential buyers to keep the value up.

Well, I assume I will use the car for several months and at least 5000 miles, so I'm sure it will cost me something. But the new ones cost $13,000 more and probably won't qualify for the $7500 tax credit as I'm hoping the first one will for me, so I'm willing to roll the dice, especially since I have no sales tax burden with the purchase. It may cost me money, or I may end up making some money. I think the Touring model at the old price is a fairly good value play. The high base price of the GT unfortunately priced itself out of a large enough pool of potential buyers to keep the value up.
The no sales tax part makes the huge difference.

Same position with me. I confirmed my PURE order with the expectation that it would deliver in 2022 and I would get the tax credit. Now need to order a
Ttouring to get delivery in 2022. I don't like the tactic, or the price, BUT... I can justify the price increase for the added features, HOWEVER, Lucid does NOT HAVE the TOURING model listed on the IRS web site as eligible for the tax credit. My advisor and her boss don't KNOW either!

Same position with me. I confirmed my PURE order with the expectation that it would deliver in 2022 and I would get the tax credit. Now need to order a
Ttouring to get delivery in 2022. I don't like the tactic, or the price, BUT... I can justify the price increase for the added features, HOWEVER, Lucid does NOT HAVE the TOURING model listed on the IRS web site as eligible for the tax credit. My advisor and her boss don't KNOW either!
I seriously doubt if you order a Touring right now you’ll get it by next week. There are plenty of us here still waiting who ordered a year or more ago.

Glad I got DDP on my Touring. Using highway assist daily and the blind spot camera and 360 degree camera are great. The Lucid will grandfather in if received by 12/31. It does not qualify if binding contract not signed before the law went into effect mid August and is not listed as a qualifying vehicle due to its high base price.

Interesting as all Tourings are 2023 models.

It's probably just not updated. It's very common for car companies to year their car a year ahead. Heck I got my 2013 mazda in July there was already a 2014 model lol

I was told my DA that leased cars (vs loan) will be eligible for the $7.5K even into 2023, I guess we'll see if that true. Havent take delivery yet.

^ *by (nothing like a typo in your first post on a message board. Pleased to meet you all ;)

Back