Speed malfunction while driving - No Turtle

SM_NCarolina

Verified Owner
Cars
LUCID GT
Yesterday my boys and I made a stop at a charging station before starting driving again. Earlier in the morning I had a call with support and got my latest software update ver x.x.21. After a short charging stop, we were on a highway, and had the car on adaptive cruise control. After 5-7 miles of drive, my car suddenly started losing speed in the middle of the highway where the speed limit was 55 MPH and we may be a bit over to flow with the traffic. In the next 30-45 seconds the car came to a slow speed of 30 MPH and maintained it for the next 1.5 miles or so. During this journey and time, we lost all control of speed/acceleration, there was no Turtle icon or any warning before, during, or after this on any of the screens.

While this was happening, at the same time we were trying to understand what was going on and what are our options, we found an exit and parked the car on top of the exit. Surprisingly, after 30 seconds of parked state, out of panic and curiosity interweaved, we put the car back in drive, and SURPRISINGLY we had all power and control over speed and acceleration. We realized this could be a short-lived capability, we leveraged the opportunity to park the car in a nearby parking lot. At this point, we exited the car and walked away to allow a reboot to ensure this could be taken care of by this process. After 4-5 mins of being there, we decided to try again and took a chance to head back on our way home through the highway.

On my way, I called LUCID support but couldn't get hold of one in a quick time and ended up leaving my contact information. I got a call-back after 15 mins or so and we (my son and I) provided all the information related to the incident. Support staff was quick in looking at our vehicle's real-time (IoT data) condition while we were on phone, and reported no issues in the vehicle at that point in time. He took all the required information to send it to the right team to look at it. This kind of slowdown without Turtle icon and recovery after a short park was unheard of in the LUCID support team. Mine could be the first of this nature, so I'm making this community aware of the incident. I'll keep an eye on this and report back to LUCID and to this community if that happens again.

Yesterday my boys and I made a stop at a charging station before starting driving again. Earlier in the morning I had a call with support and got my latest software update ver x.x.21. After a short charging stop, we were on a highway, and had the car on adaptive cruise control. After 5-7 miles of drive, my car suddenly started losing speed in the middle of the highway where the speed limit was 55 MPH and we may be a bit over to flow with the traffic. In the next 30-45 seconds the car came to a slow speed of 30 MPH and maintained it for the next 1.5 miles or so. During this journey and time, we lost all control of speed/acceleration, there was no Turtle icon or any warning before, during, or after this on any of the screens.

While this was happening, at the same time we were trying to understand what was going on and what are our options, we found an exit and parked the car on top of the exit. Surprisingly, after 30 seconds of parked state, out of panic and curiosity interweaved, we put the car back in drive, and SURPRISINGLY we had all power and control over speed and acceleration. We realized this could be a short-lived capability, we leveraged the opportunity to park the car in a nearby parking lot. At this point, we exited the car and walked away to allow a reboot to ensure this could be taken care of by this process. After 4-5 mins of being there, we decided to try again and took a chance to head back on our way home through the highway.

On my way, I called LUCID support but couldn't get hold of one in a quick time and ended up leaving my contact information. I got a call-back after 15 mins or so and we (my son and I) provided all the information related to the incident. Support staff was quick in looking at our vehicle's real-time (IoT data) condition while we were on phone, and reported no issues in the vehicle at that point in time. He took all the required information to send it to the right team to look at it. This kind of slowdown without Turtle icon and recovery after a short park was unheard of in the LUCID support team. Mine could be the first of this nature, so I'm making this community aware of the incident. I'll keep an eye on this and report back to LUCID and to this community if that happens again.
I have also never heard of this. Glad it happened without incident. Please keep us updated.

You accidentally knock it into neutral? I did that once and was confused for a bit

You accidentally knock it into neutral? I did that once and was confused for a bit
No, it was in adaptive cruise control. And also it maintained 30 MPH.

No, it was in adaptive cruise control. And also it maintained 30 MPH.
Were you able to disengage the cruise control? I'm wondering if it was a fault in the ACC, or just a general loss of acceleration.

This exact thing happened to me about 800 miles into ownership I think. No turtle, total loss of throttle beyond 30mph, it was almost like the car mistakenly thought the battery pack was going to die and was trying to save that last kW. Lasted about 3 minutes or so (felt like 15 but wasn’t that long, just stressful). Then I decided to do a hard regen by letting off the accelerator fast, then floored it and suddenly the car leapt back to life and drove normally from that point forward. A few days later I called Lucid service as I separately got a false drive system error in which the car drive normally and was cured by a reboot, and also mentioned to them that weird loss of power for a few minutes that had happened a couple days before, so maybe they just chalked mine up to the same problem that led to the drive system error that was false and cured by a reboot, and didn’t log it as a separate instance for Lucid service to investigate? It’s tough when you have a car with so many software glitches, how do you tell when it’s crying wolf and when there’s actually a wolf? I don’t envy the poor support people hahaha.

This exact thing happened to me about 800 miles into ownership I think. No turtle, total loss of throttle beyond 30mph, it was almost like the car mistakenly thought the battery pack was going to die and was trying to save that last kW. Lasted about 3 minutes or so (felt like 15 but wasn’t that long, just stressful). Then I decided to do a hard regen by letting off the accelerator fast, then floored it and suddenly the car leapt back to life and drove normally from that point forward. A few days later I called Lucid service as I separately got a false drive system error in which the car drive normally and was cured by a reboot, and also mentioned to them that weird loss of power for a few minutes that had happened a couple days before, so maybe they just chalked mine up to the same problem that led to the drive system error that was false and cured by a reboot, and didn’t log it as a separate instance for Lucid service to investigate? It’s tough when you have a car with so many software glitches, how do you tell when it’s crying wolf and when there’s actually a wolf? I don’t envy the poor support people hahaha.
Oh wow, you had exact same experience as mine but didn't log it as an incident separately and that's the reason it's not out there. Support people are as good as the problems they help log and solve . So I agree, we all signed up for this journey with LUCID and help them get better over time. IMO, we all must keep reporting the incidents to them so they address those issues as they come.

I also lost power in my GT after an Update - maybe not update related. I was in Mass. and had been on the hiway over an hour when I lost all power... within ~30 seconds. Even though the warning said I could proceed at lower speed I just managed to make it over into the breakdown lane before total loss of power. Lucid CS was great but they were not able to determine what the cause was as the 12v electrical system was dead. The rep. arranged to have the car removed quickly and for a rental to get me back to Maine.

My car is in Chicago, IL now for repairs. Updates will be posted.

Let me say this. I have had my GT since April and have been loving it. Yah, maybe not the software but otherwise it great. Let's see if this is a fluke.

I also lost power in my GT after an Update - maybe not update related. I was in Mass. and had been on the hiway over an hour when I lost all power... within ~30 seconds. Even though the warning said I could proceed at lower speed I just managed to make it over into the breakdown lane before total loss of power. Lucid CS was great but they were not able to determine what the cause was as the 12v electrical system was dead. The rep. arranged to have the car removed quickly and for a rental to get me back to Maine.

My car is in Chicago, IL now for repairs. Updates will be posted.

Let me say this. I have had my GT since April and have been loving it. Yah, maybe not the software but otherwise it great. Let's see if this is a fluke.
Sounds like another “12V Failure”. Please keep us informed.

Back