Snowbirding in AZ and resident of WA - registration question

Coho

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Grand Touring, Mach E
We currently spend about 5-6 months a yr in AZ and the rest in WA which is our official residence. Drivers license is also WA. Touring may be available while we are in AZ but Im told if I register in WA, they have to ship it there and I can't take delivery in Scottsdale. Are there any WA/AZ folks who have faced this? I am told to register in AZ means I need an AZ drivers license. Trying to figure out which state to register the car.

We currently spend about 5-6 months a yr in AZ and the rest in WA which is our official residence. Drivers license is also WA. Touring may be available while we are in AZ but Im told if I register in WA, they have to ship it there and I can't take delivery in Scottsdale. Are there any WA/AZ folks who have faced this? I am told to register in AZ means I need an AZ drivers license. Trying to figure out which state to register the car.
Not true that you need an AZ drivers license to register a car in AZ. I registered several cars in AZ with a PA license.

I would register in whichever state has lower taxes/registration fees.

As a WA resident and former AZ resident, unless things have changed in AZ, if you register in AZ you will have a considerable personal property due tax each year. I believe sales taxes are close in each state.

As a WA resident and former AZ resident, unless things have changed in AZ, if you register in AZ you will have a considerable personal property due tax each year. I believe sales taxes are close in each state.
The registration fee in AZ for electric vehicles is very low, although it will be going up starting next year. I was recently able to re-register my Lucid for 5 years (expires 12/15/2027) for $228.41.

The registration fee in AZ for electric vehicles is very low, although it will be going up starting next year. I was recently able to re-register my Lucid for 5 years (expires 12/15/2027) for $228.41.
The AZ fee went up for cars first registered in 2022 and will go up again in 2023. I paid $1130.50 for one year for a less expensive GT than your DE that was first registered in 2021. You have a great deal.

Thanks all. As I understand it, the sales tax in AZ will actually be less reflecting how they assign taxes but the registration and associated fees are much higher than WA. In AZ they start high reflecting value of the car and then drop. It's a straight fee in WA and in our area only a few hundred. My main issue is site of delivery. If registered to WA, they need to deliver it there and we may be here in AZ. Im leaning to just registering in WA and going back early to receive it.

Back