SiriusXM Megathread

I use the app on my phone and connect to truck using Bluetooth. Cinemagic is only on the app.
Sure, that’s always an option, but very inelegant. I get into my cars and my phone stays in my pocket. I’d find it a real pain to have to take it out of my pocket, find the app and then tune to the channel I want. Then if I want to change the channel, it becomes a safety issue while driving.

If forced, I’d consider using a wireless CarPlay dongle I have that plugs into a USB port. Again, not great, but at least I can mirror the phone on the screen. The issue then becomes, will the Lucid UI allow for a wireless CarPlay or AA dongle.

C’mon Lucid, equip the cars with XM natively.

Lucid is suppose to have Apple Wireless Car Play but I have not heard if it is working yet. In any case, I agree that Lucid should have XM native on the UI.

I have not heard whether an external antenna is required. Although small it would affect Cd.

I think there's plenty of 'buffer' in both the range and the Cd to take the very small hit from a small XM antenna.

Frequencies2332.5 MHz,2345 MHz
Frequency Range2332.5 MHz - 2345 MHz
ModeRAW
ModulationOFDM,PSK
ACF
Emission Designator
Bandwidth12.5 MHz
Plus it has little no drive foot print.

Just a small comment on XM Satellite radio: The antenna can be mounted out of sight. It does not need to been on the exterior. One place could be under the rear deck lid. The advantage of XM Satellite radio vs. other internet streaming services is that you get reception even when there is no internet available. That is the main reason for having it and that is my main motivating factor in wanting it.

Yes 2.3 GHz is not attenuated by glass so it can be placed anywhere that has a view through the glass roof.
I have added satellite XM to my Tesla Model 3 an Y and in both cases I was able to hide the XM antenna out of site. Actually on the Model 3, it's placed on the rear deck lid as far back as possible. Luckily, the rear deck lid is mesh metal and the XM antenna sticks on it very nicely.

But there must be.a reason why almost all manufacturers use the shark fin antenna on the roof. I can only assume it gives better reception with fewer dropouts than if it's mounted elsewhere.

But there must be.a reason why almost all manufacturers use the shark fin antenna on the roof. I can only assume it gives better reception with fewer dropouts than if it's mounted elsewhere.
The history of the shark fin antenna can be traced back to AM/FM radio. Many cars had an antenna in the rear center roof sticking up. Replacing it with a shark fin streamlined the appearance. Inside the body of the shark fin, one finds metal foil stuck around it - basically a long antenna wrapped inside. I've converted many cars from regular antennas to shark fin. On an older Prius, Toyota sold an GPS kit that had you mount the satellite antenna on a piece of metal under the front dash. This was probably easier than routing the antenna elsewhere. I guess the shark fin is a convenient place now for XM and GPS antennas. The original Nissan Leaf had an antenna sticking up at the rear, but the GPS antenna was elsewhere - one would think they would want to combine them in one place.

The history of the shark fin antenna can be traced back to AM/FM radio. Many cars had an antenna in the rear center roof sticking up. Replacing it with a shark fin streamlined the appearance. Inside the body of the shark fin, one finds metal foil stuck around it - basically a long antenna wrapped inside. I've converted many cars from regular antennas to shark fin. On an older Prius, Toyota sold an GPS kit that had you mount the satellite antenna on a piece of metal under the front dash. This was probably easier than routing the antenna elsewhere. I guess the shark fin is a convenient place now for XM and GPS antennas. The original Nissan Leaf had an antenna sticking up at the rear, but the GPS antenna was elsewhere - one would think they would want to combine them in one place.
My Tundra has both, terrestrial was replaced with a stubby. There's a low profile antenna for satellite on roof of cab.

Back