Setup Actions / Delivery Checklist

I’ve got 2100 miles on my Dream. I can’t think of anything to add to the list. It was compiled with the help/suggestions of many forum members and I think it’s pretty complete. Also I can tell you that most Delivery Hosts have a copy and are thoroughly familiar with it.

All I can say is, those of you who take delivery in the next few weeks need to check your cars very carefully, especially the panel/door gaps. There are rumors that there may have been some serious issues with cars leaving Casa Grande in less than ideal condition, maybe even contributing to the necessity of the production/delivery delay. It's all hearsay though, but it can't hurt to be ultra-diligent.

I don't think so? It's weird but it only works on the phone app, which is supremely stupid and not in the in car nav.

Oh. That’s really a pity. I shall have to hope that Lucid will follow Tesla, and include EA locations and availability as part of their onboard navigation.

Oh. That’s really a pity. I shall have to hope that Lucid will follow Tesla, and include EA locations and availability as part of their onboard navigation.
Sorry, it does include it as part of it's onboard navigation but ONLY if you are searching for charging stations and not as part of your route AND when you search for charging it includes everything with no filter (for now hopefully). It's just easier to do it on the app, which is counter-intuitive but that's the state right now. Minor annoyance and I'm sure it will get worked out properly.

So unbelievably I just got a call from Millbrae. While they were finishing detailing the car to get it ready for tomorrow morning delivery apparently the car "threw a code". They don't know if it is a "hard" or "soft" code but they are working on it tonight and I was told I will get an update sometime this evening. I have my Detailer all set up for tomorrow afternoon to start the PPF and Ceramic Coating. Now everything is up in the air once again. Just can't seem to catch a break!!
Why do you need ceramic AND PFF? I thought it was one or the other.

Why do you need ceramic AND PFF? I thought it was one or the other.

No, it’s perfectly normal to have both. With our Teslas, I did a partial PPF, and then had ceramic coating applied to the whole car. The ceramic coating does need to be “reconditioned”, or reapplied, once a year. As I understand it, PPF provides a mostly protective function, while ceramic coating is both somewhat protective and mostly cosmetic, allowing your car’s paint job to maintain that glossy, freshly painted look. It also makes carwashing a breeze.

I went with the partial PPF because I found wrapping the whole car prohibitively expensive, and I was never convinced that doing so was necessary. The partial PPF was done to all the high impact areas - bonnet, door mirrors, front bumper, headlamps, front fenders, door handles…the shop even had a little extra which they applied to the rear bumper and the lower sill of the boot opening.

I see no call for ever doing a full PPF, but I’ve found doing a full ceramic coating indispensable.

No, it’s perfectly normal to have both. With our Teslas, I did a partial PPF, and then had ceramic coating applied to the whole car. The ceramic coating does need to be “reconditioned”, or reapplied, once a year. As I understand it, PPF provides a mostly protective function, while ceramic coating is both somewhat protective and mostly cosmetic, allowing your car’s paint job to maintain that glossy, freshly painted look. It also makes carwashing a breeze.

I went with the partial PPF because I found wrapping the whole car prohibitively expensive, and I was never convinced that doing so was necessary. The partial PPF was done to all the high impact areas - bonnet, door mirrors, front bumper, headlamps, front fenders, door handles…the shop even had a little extra which they applied to the rear bumper and the lower sill of the boot opening.

I see no call for ever doing a full PPF, but I’ve found doing a full ceramic coating indispensable.
I like that idea better. How much did this job set you back if you dont mind sharing. This is my midlife crisis event except in my 60’s lol.

What about the doors where some uncaring person just opens their door on you or scratches the heck out of it. My Infiniti Q45 was keyed all the way around, which is an obvious hate job.

What about the doors where some uncaring person just opens their door on you or scratches the heck out of it. In racist Texas we also get keyed. My Infiniti Q45 was keyed all the way around, which is an obvious hate job.
PPF and ceramic coating won’t do anything to protect you from keying the car. Don’t let anyone tell you anything different. PPF will help prevent small rock chips and ceramic coating makes it very easy to wash and keep the car clean easily.

I like that idea better. How much did this job set you back if you dont mind sharing. This is my midlife crisis event except in my 60’s lol.

The partial PPF was approx. $1200, in Southern California, as recently as 2020. Then it was another $500 on top of that to have ”Ceramic Pro” applied to the whole car.

If you get this done, you need to turn your car into the detailer’s shop as soon after delivery as you can manage. Doing this minimizes the amount of “paint correction” that your shop will have to do. Paint correction, meaning buffing out scratches, swirl marks, pitting from gravel and other road debris, etc. As I remember it, we received all our Teslas in a lovely little “delivery ceremony” one day (Tesla used to do that for customers during the pre-Model 3 days), and then I dropped them off at the detailer’s shop the next day.

I agree with @SaratogaLefty’s response, and tell you that neither PPF or ceramic coating will prevent keying, or even door dings.

In my experience of living with cars that have been PPFed and ceramic coated, the benefits of these pricey procedures have been cosmetic: fewer swirl marks, lower likelihood of superficial scratching, ease of washing the car, and a longer lasting glossiness to the paint finish. I dismiss out of hand the impressive youtube videos of car bonnets being set on fire, but not being harmed, supposedly because of the protective properties of ceramic coatings. All that is a load of bollocks.

Last edited:
The partial PPF was approx. $1200, in Southern California, as recently as 2020. Then it was another $500 on top of that to have ”Ceramic Pro” applied to the whole car.

If you get this done, you need to turn your car into the detailer’s shop as soon after delivery as you can manage. Doing this minimizes the amount of “paint correction” that your shop will have to do. Paint correction, meaning buffing out scratches, swirl marks, pitting from gravel and other road debris, etc. As I remember it, we received all our Teslas in a lovely little “delivery ceremony” one day (Tesla used to do that for customers during the pre-Model 3 days), and then I dropped them off at the detailer’s shop the next day.

I agree with @SaratogaLefty’s response, and tell you that neither PPF or ceramic coating will prevent keying, or even door dings.

In my experience of living with cars that have been PPFed and ceramic coated, the benefits of these pricey procedures have been cosmetic: fewer swirl marks, lower likelihood of superficial scratching, ease of washing the car, and a longer lasting glossiness to the paint finish. I dismiss out of hand the impressive youtube videos of car bonnets being set on fire, but not being harmed, supposedly because of the protective properties of ceramic coatings. All that is a load of bollocks.
Thank you for that information. It was 1200 for me to simply get the Front and Mirrors PPFed on my Infiniti Q45 but in 2020 as well. I bet its higher now. A friend paid 3K for Ceramic and Partial PPF of his BMW recently here in Dallas TX. I was thinking of getting what he had done, most likely he had partial doors and back done as well. I need to start calling some of,these guys because there are films and there are installers and their prices vary. BTW Lucid told me its 961$ for Rim and Full size spare and includes mounting.

Thank you for that information. It was 1200 for me to simply get the Front and Mirrors PPFed on my Infiniti Q45 but in 2020 as well. I bet its higher now. A friend paid 3K for Ceramic and Partial PPF of his BMW recently here in Dallas TX. I was thinking of getting what he had done, most likely he had partial doors and back done as well. I need to start calling some of,these guys because there are films and there are installers and their prices vary. BTW Lucid told me its 961$ for Rim and Full size spare and includes mounting.
Thank you for the information on the spare tire - is that for 21 inch? Also mounting means putting it onto the car axle. Since you are buying it as a spare there's no mounting so maybe they should charge you less?

Thank you for the information on the spare tire - is that for 21 inch? Also mounting means putting it onto the car axle. Since you are buying it as a spare there's no mounting so maybe they should charge you less?
In my case they are 19” but I believe what he meant by mounting is to put the tire on the wheel and have it ready as a fully functioning spare vs selling Me two separate items and leaving me to have the tire mounted on the wheel.

I see that the last post here was on June 30th. Does anyone know of a more recent comprehensive inspection checklist ? I am finally picking up my car this Sunday from the Scottsdale, AZ service center -- 1 year after placing my order.

I’m thinking about partial PPF. Can you see any difference between the front quarter panel with PPF and the front door without PPF?

Back