Sapphire @ Laguna Seca

Epic

LUCID AIR SAPPHIRE | PROTOTYPE RIDE ON TRACK

Didn't see this posted on here yet. The second lap is pretty amazing. The way the car gets down the main straight is impressive to say the least.
Damn, if I had the $$$ to burn I'd reserve a Sapphire immediately after watching that run. My friend did the AMG academy at Laguna Seca in a AMG GT and also an AMG SL65, and I watched all his laps and ride-alongs with a pro driver, and it's so damn cool to see what this Sapphire can do in comparison. In the hands of a pro driver it looked like it was a struggle to not crash the AMG at all times, whereas Collins rightly points out how easy the Sapphire makes it to control the torque. The highlights are on lap 2, that first corner after the pit exit is soooo hard to get right (I've only driven it on various video games and simulators) and the Sapphire just glazes over that corner like it's nothing, and then reaches the corkscrew at 108mph! I disagree with the reviewer though, I honestly can't envision Tesla coming up with a way to one-up the Sapphire on a real track based on how good this prototype looked.

Have they claimed fastest lap? I know it was around 1:31 for last official time 2 years ago and Plaid was 1:28. But I haven’t read anything yet…

Have they claimed fastest lap? I know it was around 1:31 for last official time 2 years ago and Plaid was 1:28. But I haven’t read anything yet…
GT-P made it to the corkscrew in record time for a production car (38.1 seconds?), but I don't think any full lap times comparing all vehicles were published for some reason? Too lazy to look it up right now.

Yeah I just figured they would be touting it if they did I guess. I watched quite a few videos and read as many articles but can’t find anything on an official time for the Sapphire yet. Impressive nonetheless

. . . I honestly can't envision Tesla coming up with a way to one-up the Sapphire on a real track based on how good this prototype looked.

I think we got a preview at this year's Goodwood Hill Climb of how this might play out. Tesla ran the Model S Plaid in the event in 2021. But when Lucid showed up with the GT-P this year, Tesla decided not to put a car into the competition -- with Lucid taking the production car crown.

Unless Tesla finally gets a Plaid Plus into production, I have a feeling they're going to avoid head-to-head confrontations with the Sapphire wherever they can. By contrast, Lucid has been willing to show its dual-motor car in venues where the Plaid showed up, confident that the Lucid's slightly lower times will be offset by its superior dynamic behavior in the eyes of reviewers.

Such an incredible machine the engineering that goes into them is incredible. Their dynamic performance in the curves is just as strong as their performance on the straightaway's at the racetracks but then that's a given!

Not connected to the topic present, but I calculated the torque today based on an power output of 1300PS as per quotes I'd found on certain websites. I benchmarked the calculations on the top of the line dual electric motor set ups.

My number for torque in NM is= 1,573NM. Which I believe is eminently achievable with a triple electric motor drive system.

I've a thing for numbers and metrics so please forgive, but I'm fascinated with this project and I'd like to contribute something in return!

Such an incredible machine the engineering that goes into them is incredible. Their dynamic performance in the curves is just as strong as their performance on the straightaway's at the racetracks but then that's a given!

Not connected to the topic present, but I calculated the torque today based on an power output of 1300PS as per quotes I'd found on certain websites. I benchmarked the calculations on the top of the line dual electric motor set ups.

My number for torque in NM is= 1,573NM. Which I believe is eminently achievable with a triple electric motor drive system.

I've a thing for numbers and metrics so please forgive, but I'm fascinated with this project and I'd like to contribute something in return!
Good bot?

Oh I was kidding… the Sapphire with TM and I thought the car was talking. Thanks for running the numbers!

LOL! The ™ stands for TRIPLE MOTORS! I've a sense of humour too! As well as being a very deep thinker!

But Thank You! I'll see about some performance metrics tomorrow. I've picked up some skills over my years!

And as for talking cars well, I'm old enough to remember Knight Rider! And although I may not be American, I've a deep affinity for the United States of America!🙂

LOL! The ™ stands for TRIPLE MOTORS! I've a sense of humour too! As well as being a very deep thinker!

But Thank You! I'll see about some performance metrics tomorrow. I've picked up some skills over my years!

And as for talking cars well, I'm old enough to remember Knight Rider! And although I may not be American, I've a deep affinity for the United States of America!🙂
1661896806768.gif

Damn, if I had the $$$ to burn I'd reserve a Sapphire immediately after watching that run. My friend did the AMG academy at Laguna Seca in a AMG GT and also an AMG SL65, and I watched all his laps and ride-alongs with a pro driver, and it's so damn cool to see what this Sapphire can do in comparison. In the hands of a pro driver it looked like it was a struggle to not crash the AMG at all times, whereas Collins rightly points out how easy the Sapphire makes it to control the torque. The highlights are on lap 2, that first corner after the pit exit is soooo hard to get right (I've only driven it on various video games and simulators) and the Sapphire just glazes over that corner like it's nothing, and then reaches the corkscrew at 108mph! I disagree with the reviewer though, I honestly can't envision Tesla coming up with a way to one-up the Sapphire on a real track based on how good this prototype looked.
Agreed. If I had the $$$ I would be making that reservation.

During my test drive of the GT and we were about to hit Sprint mode all could think about was Knight Rider. On the Sapphire I think it would feel like a suped up Turbo Boost!

During my test drive of the GT and we were about to hit Sprint mode all could think about was Knight Rider. On the Sapphire I think it would feel like a suped up Turbo Boost!
Knight Rider is the first song on my Lucid playlist I posted in the music thread haha.

Last edited:
I think we got a preview at this year's Goodwood Hill Climb of how this might play out. Tesla ran the Model S Plaid in the event in 2021. But when Lucid showed up with the GT-P this year, Tesla decided not to put a car into the competition -- with Lucid taking the production car crown.

Unless Tesla finally gets a Plaid Plus into production, I have a feeling they're going to avoid head-to-head confrontations with the Sapphire wherever they can. By contrast, Lucid has been willing to show its dual-motor car in venues where the Plaid showed up, confident that the Lucid's slightly lower times will be offset by its superior dynamic behavior in the eyes of reviewers.
That would be typical Elon. Talk a lot, but avoid any legitimate arenas of comparison. That's the game of market manipulation that got him in trouble with the SEC.

I bet my friend I bet you did! Just need that black leather driving jacket now!

Back