San Jose Lucid Approved Body shop

AMG

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid AGT
Just my luck today. Person wasn't paying attention and hit my rear bumper on the right side.... Punctured a hole in the bumper and whatever else probably damaged underneath. Has anyone taken their Lucid to an approved body shop around the San Jose / San Francisco region? Want recommendations for quality work. Thanks.

Just my luck today. Person wasn't paying attention and hit my rear bumper on the right side.... Punctured a hole in the bumper and whatever else probably damaged underneath. Has anyone taken their Lucid to an approved body shop around the San Jose / San Francisco region? Want recommendations for quality work. Thanks.
Chilton’s in San Carlos: https://chiltonautobody.com/locations/certified-body-shop-san-carlos/

Brooks Motorcars in Oakland: https://brooksmotorcars.com/

Those are the two. Customer care can let you know if there are more now, but those were the two in fall of last year.

I used Chilton. It was… okay. They did not have the super highest quality of work, but it wasn’t *bad* - mostly process issues and frustration, not actual physical quality of things. That said, the car came back with a non-working Highway Assist and broken TPMS sensors so yeah, not super perfect. I think @AirDoll had not the best experiences too but she can speak for herself

I picked Chilton because they had sooner availability. Next time, since my car was totally drivable, I might pick Brooks instead; they work on a lot of exotics, while Chilton does mostly Teslas, so I suspect Brooks might have better quality. But they’re also booked out much further.

Chilton’s in San Carlos: https://chiltonautobody.com/locations/certified-body-shop-san-carlos/

Brooks Motorcars in Oakland: https://brooksmotorcars.com/

Those are the two. Customer care can let you know if there are more now, but those were the two in fall of last year.

I used Chilton. It was… okay. They did not have the super highest quality of work, but it wasn’t *bad* - mostly process issues and frustration, not actual physical quality of things. That said, the car came back with a non-working Highway Assist and broken TPMS sensors so yeah, not super perfect. I think @AirDoll had not the best experiences too but she can speak for herself

I picked Chilton because they had sooner availability. Next time, since my car was totally drivable, I might pick Brooks instead; they work on a lot of exotics, while Chilton does mostly Teslas, so I suspect Brooks might have better quality. But they’re also booked out much further.
Thanks @borski. Car is drivable and I don't mind waiting for the right shop who takes pride in their work. I'm not a big fan of Tesla's quality... But if Brooks work on Bentley and other higher end cars, I assume their customer base may be pickier, potentially providing a better quality work. I may need to end up fighting with their insurance company (allstate) if they don't accept their hourly rates.

Would you go through your own insurance company to get it fixed and have them chase Allstate to get the money back or go directly with Allstate? I have to also reconsider diminished value now that it will end up in Carfax.

I may need to end up fighting with their insurance company (allstate) if they don't accept their hourly rates.
Not in California; by law, you must be able to choose any licensed shop in the state that you want, and insurance companies get no say in which one you pick.

Would you go through your own insurance company to get it fixed and have them chase Allstate to get the money back or go directly with Allstate? I have to also reconsider diminished value now that it will end up in Carfax.
I would probably report it to my insurance company, but you can decide with them whether you want to have them chase Allstate - for me, they have always preferred that because it gets them off my back and gives them someone to chase, but you can also try and see how Allstate handles it for a while at first, and if it's insanely slow have your insurance take over. (that's what I did)

Reactions: AMG
As @borski mentioned, I used Chilton in San Carlos. I ended up going through my insurance after I evaluated the cost and they worked with them directly which was nice.

They took their time getting to the car while it sat there, but I understood from the beginning that it was going to be a slow process so I had patience. The overall work was great, and they were decent about giving updates along the way.

The only complaint I have is that after inspecting the car closely about a month or so after getting it back, I found out that there is white overspray paint all over the car (mine is Zenith Red) like they had it parked close and uncovered when they were painting another car, and my lug nut caps were missing on both front wheels. Once I called them ( they took a few days to call me back) and let them know, they offered to take care of it immediately and apologized. So I would just recommend going over the car closely before you sign off on the completion.

Good luck with the repairs and I’m sorry your car was damaged.

Reactions: AMG
Not in California; by law, you must be able to choose any licensed shop in the state that you want, and insurance companies get no say in which one you pick.

I would probably report it to my insurance company, but you can decide with them whether you want to have them chase Allstate - for me, they have always preferred that because it gets them off my back and gives them someone to chase, but you can also try and see how Allstate handles it for a while at first, and if it's insanely slow have your insurance take over. (that's what I did)
@borski Thanks for your advice... I will probably go through my insurance to makes things simpler. Statefarm has been easy to work with in the past. Haven't worked with Allstate before.

As @borski mentioned, I used Chilton in San Carlos. I ended up going through my insurance after I evaluated the cost and they worked with them directly which was nice.

They took their time getting to the car while it sat there, but I understood from the beginning that it was going to be a slow process so I had patience. The overall work was great, and they were decent about giving updates along the way.

The only complaint I have is that after inspecting the car closely about a month or so after getting it back, I found out that there is white overspray paint all over the car (mine is Zenith Red) like they had it parked close and uncovered when they were painting another car, and my lug nut caps were missing on both front wheels. Once I called them ( they took a few days to call me back) and let them know, they offered to take care of it immediately and apologized. So I would just recommend going over the car closely before you sign off on the completion.

Good luck with the repairs and I’m sorry your car was damaged.
@AirDoll. I'll go over the online reviews for both and go from there. I know all shops may not be perfect, but want one that is more detailed oriented since the Lucid was not a small "investment".

Back