Rivian R1 generation increased to 400 miles range in new configuration

Tesla2.0

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Referral Code
F0ZQ8SWA
Now you can change quad motors (835 HP) to dual motors (700 HP) and able to add more battery to 400 mile range. It aims to start at mid-2023 delivery. I wonder when this configuration will cascade down to R1S. Aside from extra battery, Rivian seems to improve efficiency a little more in software fine tuning.

DF4F077F-7651-4B2A-A9BE-4304076A2ECE.png

The battery sits between the frame rails so the longer wheelbase of the R1T allows for additional modules. For the R1S, the plan orginally was to use up the space the 3rd row uses. However, there was a lot of customer feedback on this and they've been in 'redesign' so it hasn't been configurable or orderable. The messaging from the guides has been that there will be longer range R1S but it most likely won't be as long a range as the R1T Max Pack.

The battery sits between the frame rails so the longer wheelbase of the R1T allows for additional modules. For the R1S, the plan orginally was to use up the space the 3rd row uses. However, there was a lot of customer feedback on this and they've been in 'redesign' so it hasn't been configurable or orderable. The messaging from the guides has been that there will be longer range R1S but it most likely won't be as long a range as the R1T Max Pack.
This makes me wonder with Rivian keep morphing their configurator options, the Launch edition owners are missing out some of good stuffs such as sacrificing extra motors to gain extra range. On the other hand, the early adopters lucked out before Rivian removing all attachment options, tunnel kitchen and electronic retractable truck bed cover. I can see Rivian needs to ramp up delivery and having excessive options slow them down.

This makes me wonder with Rivian keep morphing their configurator options, the Launch edition owners are missing out some of good stuffs such as sacrificing extra motors to gain extra range. On the other hand, the early adopters lucked out before Rivian removing all attachment options, tunnel kitchen and electronic retractable truck bed cover. I can see Rivian needs to ramp up delivery and having excessive options slow them down.
A big difference here is the dual motors are going to be Rivian designed and produced, the current quad motor setup utilizes Bosch designed and built units. I think they're still a bit of a ways off from demonstrating their in-house units are more reliable and more efficient.

A big difference here is the dual motors are going to be Rivian designed and produced, the current quad motor setup utilizes Bosch designed and built units. I think they're still a bit of a ways off from demonstrating their in-house units are more reliable and more efficient.
I agree, I bet they are frustrated with supply chain issues and want to start vertical integrate more like Lucid and Tesla. There will be learning curve. Tesla may want to go even further upstream to have their own lithium mining and refinery. When Lucid demonstrated their execution on their timeline, Saudi will provide enough resources to get Lucid even further upstream vertical integration and bring infrastructure reform to their kingdom.

What I'm also thinking about is the first gen of Tesla's drive unit went through an almost 100% failure rate in the field. Lucid at least has some experience from the work in Formula E so I think the reliability is up to snuff. Rivian could see some major teething pains on its own first gen drive unit.

I agree though, there are a lot of advantages to vertically integrating, cost, supply chain and competitive advantage. The capital outlay to do it all is just monumental.

I agree, I bet they are frustrated with supply chain issues and want to start vertical integrate more like Lucid and Tesla. There will be learning curve. Tesla may want to go even further upstream to have their own lithium mining and refinery. When Lucid demonstrated their execution on their timeline, Saudi will provide enough resources to get Lucid even further upstream vertical integration and bring infrastructure reform to their kingdom.
Last month on December 9th, Chinese president Xi Jinping went to Saudi to talk to king Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud about oil bilateral. CCP wants to use RMB to transact to bring goods from China to Saudi and help with their electric grid infrastructure in exchange of oil for their manufacturing, EVs and other electrified techs is what China excelled now at efficient production to offer. But Saudi showed no interests to be steered away from USD to transact. Saudi owns so much of US economy and not interested to rock that stability. In addition, Saudi already has Lucid, BMW and Taiwan’s Foxconn locked in for future EV projects.

Last month on December 9th, Chinese president Xi Jinping went to Saudi to talk to king Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud about oil bilateral. CCP wants to use RMB to transact to bring goods from China to Saudi and help with their electric grid infrastructure in exchange of oil for their manufacturing, EVs and other electrified techs is what China excelled now at efficient production to offer. But Saudi showed no interests to be steered away from USD to transact. Saudi owns so much of US economy and not interested to rock that stability. In addition, Saudi already has Lucid, BMW and Taiwan’s Foxconn locked in for future EV projects.
This may be the first smart thing the saudis have ever done with their PIF money but i’m worried for the companies that invest there for political stability.

This may be the first smart thing the saudis have ever done with their PIF money but i’m worried for the companies that invest there for political stability.
Political instability as aggression from Iran? Saudi wants to be like Norway, export other countries oil while keep their own country fully electrified to offset carbon footprint.

Back