Rims to increase range?

Slam08

Cars
2022 Jaguar I Pace
So I was looking into aftermarket EV rims and it seems like there are some options out there that are lighter or more aerodynamic. And of course 18” would be preferred.

Does anyone have experience with aftermarketEV wheels or thenewaero?

Just curious in case I wanted to squeeze out a few more miles on a road trip. Would switching to these make any difference in range? Or just stick with what Lucid designed? They are made specific for the vehicle and I’m sure the Lucid engineers looked into this.

The Lucid 6-piston brakes are massive up front and may necessitate a 19" wheel.

Oz has some interesting options out there that are touted as range-oriented but changing from say the OEM 19" aero range wheel to an aftermarket wheel is not a cost-proposition I'd take on. All the wheels are aero optimized by Lucid as well.

So I was looking into aftermarket EV rims and it seems like there are some options out there that are lighter or more aerodynamic. And of course 18” would be preferred.

Just curious in case I wanted to squeeze out a few more miles on a road trip. Would switching to these make any difference in range? Or just stick with what Lucid designed? They are made specific for the vehicle and I’m sure the Lucid engineers looked into this.
I contacted The New Aero a couple of months ago. See their reply below. They'll be coming out with a new wheel design (see attached pic), which they also addressed in the email.

Hi

We know now that our Model S 21” wheels fit. The range will be the same as with Lucid wheels since all of their wheels are good in an aerodynamic sense.

The new design is to be launched in 20” for 3/Y first, now in the winter. After that we will make a 21” version for S/Taycan/Lucid. The wheel consists of a alloy wheel and a carbon fiber disc.

FXDRA6eWYAEvHHY.jpeg

Really interested in this thread.

Back when I killed a couple of my 21"Model S rims on a Baltimore pothole, I went down a rabbit hole of exploring more aerodynamic wheels. I really liked the idea of Rotiform RSEs with Aerodiscs, and according to a brief conversation I had with Rotiform they should have an efficiency benefit (although they weren't able to quantify).

I ended up just switching to 19" OEM rims with Michelin Energy tires - this in and of itself netted me a nearly 16% efficiency improvement.

We are looking for someone that can try our 21" wheels in the color Glossy Titanium. They can be used for free for a period of a year and then we can sell them at a low price or have them returned. In exchange we would like photos of the car for promotion.

a453be97567583.5ec8b784838c7.jpg

TNA_IMG_7629_2400_1600.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Felbilen.se%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2021%2F02%2Flucid-air-exterior-04.jpg

We think it can look really nice.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I replaced my OEM rims maybe about 5 months ago with HRE p101sc wheels. Total mass savings of about 60lbs unsprung weight. And the wheels aren't aero in any way. But I really haven't noticed any range reduction at all. That being said, I don't think there's been any significant range increase either.

The handling and ride comfort does seem greatly improved with the HRE's in my opinion.

We are looking for someone that can try our 21" wheels in the color Glossy Titanium. They can be used for free for a period of a year and then we can sell them at a low price or have them returned. In exchange we would like photos of the car for promotion.

https%3A%2F%2Felbilen.se%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2021%2F02%2Flucid-air-exterior-04.jpg

I'm interested, please PM me with details!

They look super light, but also really sharp spokes that hits the passing air. Generally weight will not save you any noticeable range. It will improve comfort and can improve acceleration on the second decimal.

They look super light, but also really sharp spokes that hits the passing air. Generally weight will not save you any noticeable range. It will improve comfort and can improve acceleration on the second decimal.
Indeed. They are not ‘aero’ designed at all and we’re not advertised as such not meant to be such. But they haven’t reduced my range in any noticeable way versus the lucid OEM 21’s, look much better than the typical ‘aero’ wheel imho, and seem to greatly improve ride comfort.

I'll try them out, I really don't need the range in case it affects it. White GT

I'm interested. PM me the details.

Hi! I have send wheels now to one Lucid owner. We can always sell wheels I will answer your DM with an offer.

I have one set in black in LA that we are now willing to lend out to someone in that area. DM me. They are located next to LAX
B5306A30-8574-48A1-AF5B-12521ADC0EDC.jpeg

I don't know the weight of the different Lucid wheels. I think we will get the cars here in Europe this year. Our 21x8,5" is about 15,65 kg

I'm not 100% sure that it is the diameter of the wheel that affects EV range as much as it is the type of tire, including its contact patch size and "stickiness."

Back